• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is the Toyota warranty worthless?

Wfaast

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I am having an issue with the brakes on my '20 DCSB OR. They squeak all the time, it's embarrassing to drive, my wife won't let me drive it around her family or friends because it sounds like the brakes are failing. The Toyota dealership in Bend OR has refused to do anything, they have refused to do so much as resurface the rotors, change pads, or anything other than say "we couldn't find anything wrong, too bad for you".

Now that I've vented, is this typical of Toyota dealerships? Is the warranty worthless? Is it because Tacomas are relatively cheap? My FIO loves his Toyota dealership, granted he has a '20 LC and before that a '17 sequoia limited, so I'm sure they care more about his happiness.

Should I just give up on having my vehicle serviced at the dealership, and accept that I will have to pay out of pocket for repairs or do them myself? It seems like my local dealership will be of Zero help unless the issue is obvious enough for a shade tree mechanic to diagnose.

About a month before I bought the Tacoma, my wife bought a new Subaru, her experience has been 100% the opposite when dealing with Subaru. Her car was experiencing the same issue, Subaru started with resurfacing the rotors, then the pads. It worked for a while, then they started to squeak again, we contacted Subaru and they replaced all the brake surfaces (pads and rotors), turns out they stopped using copper in brake pads, and that was causing the brakes to squeak, so they released a new pad design that fixed the squeak.

I can tell you, in case you want to come over the pass and try over in Eugene/Springfield, Litha Toyota is sketchy as hell, stay very far away from them. Kendall Toyota is not respectful of your time but they do decent work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’ve heard terrible things about the Lithia Chevy in Bend, I was thinking maybe it’s just tiny town/no competition that created the situation, I’ll probably drive back to Portland for major service and do the rest myself.

Upvote 0
I am having an issue with the brakes on my '20 DCSB OR. They squeak all the time, it's embarrassing to drive, my wife won't let me drive it around her family or friends because it sounds like the brakes are failing. The Toyota dealership in Bend OR has refused to do anything, they have refused to do so much as resurface the rotors, change pads, or anything other than say "we couldn't find anything wrong, too bad for you".

Now that I've vented, is this typical of Toyota dealerships? Is the warranty worthless? Is it because Tacomas are relatively cheap? My FIO loves his Toyota dealership, granted he has a '20 LC and before that a '17 sequoia limited, so I'm sure they care more about his happiness.

Should I just give up on having my vehicle serviced at the dealership, and accept that I will have to pay out of pocket for repairs or do them myself? It seems like my local dealership will be of Zero help unless the issue is obvious enough for a shade tree mechanic to diagnose.

About a month before I bought the Tacoma, my wife bought a new Subaru, her experience has been 100% the opposite when dealing with Subaru. Her car was experiencing the same issue, Subaru started with resurfacing the rotors, then the pads. It worked for a while, then they started to squeak again, we contacted Subaru and they replaced all the brake surfaces (pads and rotors), turns out they stopped using copper in brake pads, and that was causing the brakes to squeak, so they released a new pad design that fixed the squeak.
New to the forum,but I would keep taking it back them,just to build a case and contact Corporate Toyota

Upvote 0
haha its feels like its worthless in essence its not. Theres a lot of fine print you need to read what it covers and what it doesn't.
They dont cover that, is what i was told so I raised hell until they finally got fed up and they did it In Good Faith is what they told. Normally its a 600 dollar job.

Upvote 0
Back