• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is it possible to hook up windoors to a remote unlock?

tomtaylz

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has tried hooking up windoors or other traditional 'T' locks to the tailgate Pop N Lock to have them unlock by remote? I'm sure there is a bit more complexity on how these 'T' locks work but interested if anyone has some sort of solution that they know works.

I'm looking at different toppers, and one is the reinforced leer contractor RCC. Downside is there's two more 'T' locks on the rear in the contractor version, so with the windoors its 6 locks to open this thing fully up. Probably not the biggest deal but I could see it being a pain in the ass sometimes and one remote button sounds beautiful.

Picture found on the internet for an example:

Buy some actuators fro store out them on wire to your "tailgate locker"

There's definitely a way to do it with actuators and such. To much effort for me though. I have the regular non-cotractor cap and it has a simple single twist lock on the rear glass. I have that wired in with a pop and lock to the factory locks, so at least the rear glass is really accessible. I still have to manually lock/unlock the two doors (4 twist locks), but it doesn't bother me much. They pretty much stay locked when I'm around town and stay unlocked when we're off grid.

Is the contractor cap only available with the manual T locks?

There's definitely a way to do it with actuators and such. To much effort for me though. I have the regular non-cotractor cap and it has a simple single twist lock on the rear glass. I have that wired in with a pop and lock to the factory locks, so at least the rear glass is really accessible. I still have to manually lock/unlock the two doors (4 twist locks), but it doesn't bother me much. They pretty much stay locked when I'm around town and stay unlocked when we're off grid.

Is the contractor cap only available with the manual T locks?

Yep unfortunately, it's the same as the regular leer 100R - I'd just feel a lot more safe with the weight rating especially with me considering a hard shell RTT and 270 awning which both are on the heavier side. I may have to play around with actuators :D

Yep unfortunately, it's the same as the regular leer 100R - I'd just feel a lot more safe with the weight rating especially with me considering a hard shell RTT and 270 awning which both are on the heavier side. I may have to play around with actuators :D

Sounds like a great opportunity for a diy thread here on T3G.

I’ve seen this a couple of places. My impression is that it is for the frameless style windows which had the option from the factory of being remote. Not 100% sure though. When I get the cap I’ll need to look to better understand what happens when the lock unlocks/locks. Maybe I’ll see if I can rope in some help from the robotics guys at work..

I’ve seen this a couple of places. My impression is that it is for the frameless style windows which had the option from the factory of being remote. Not 100% sure though. When I get the cap I’ll need to look to better understand what happens when the lock unlocks/locks. Maybe I’ll see if I can rope in some help from the robotics guys at work..

That's the setup I have for my single center twist lock style frameless window. The wiring may, but I don't think the actuator in that system will work with the handles in the frameless dual twist windows.

Back