• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

I'm in the market for a new head unit - 2018 TRD Sport

Ron

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
The Entune Premium in my truck (2018 TRD Sport with Entune Premium - Non-JBL) is now starting to piss me off a bit more than it should. I have to restart it every day now to get it to recognize my "iPod" (iPhone 6 with the SIM card removed), as well as my USB drive and Pixel 2. In fact, no radio stations actually came in this morning (I need to check if the antenna wire is pulled).

A couple of items before asking for recommendations:

My ability:
  1. I can solder, and like to.
  2. I have installed head units before
  3. I have all the items needed to do my own install, such as shrink tube, soldering iron, heat gun, solder, work space
  4. I do not want to go to an installer
I have the following items now on the existing OEM head unit:
  1. Moved USB from dash to glove box, split to two usb to accept both the iPod and USB
  2. Beat Sonic CS6EP anytime camera for rear - still has input for front not being used
  3. Arc Audio XDi850.5 connected via own harness
  4. Morel Tempo Ultra 692 wired from amp to crossovers, crossovers to drivers in the front
  5. Morel Tempo Ultra Integra 602 wired from amp back to OEM wiring via harness (see my build, my stereo build has been an ongoing process of evolution) in the rear
  6. Audison APS 10D sub
What I will need to do to existing wiring:
  1. Remove line level wiring to amp and replace with quality RCA
  2. remove front speaker legacy wiring for front speakers (this is from the wiring harness I used to utilize OEM speaker wiring before I went to a component front stage)
Information the brain trust needs to make a recommendation:

How I use my existing set up:

Music: As previously mentioned, I have an "iPod" and a USB drive for music. The iPod has all of my favorite Apple Music downloaded music on it. It's set up to automatically download music that I add on my Pixel 2's Apple Music app. The USB drive is my catalog heavy bands such as the Grateful Dead, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, etc. I use terrestrial radio sparingly. I do not use SiriusXM at all. I listen to Audible, which is streamed bluetooth via my Pixel 2. I rarely, if EVER, listen to actual CDs.

Navigation: I use Waze on my phone. I do not like the nav package on the OEM head unit. I do not mind Waze being on my phone only.

Other apps that are on the OEM head unit: Meh.

Requirements for new head unit:
  1. 5v Pre-Amp outputs
  2. Ability to use existing OEM infrastructure (steering wheel controls, GPS antenna, hands free mic) - I really don't want to fish those wires too, especially a GPS antenna.
  3. Ability to use my camera on demand
  4. Ability to use my existing music storage (iPod, USB) while using an Android phone for bluetooth
  5. Wireless Android Auto - this would be a nice item, but I'm not hung up on complete phone integration. I can do wired Android Auto as well, it's just going to take a little bit of creativity for the wiring, and I'm not sure how confused the head unit would get with me using Android Auto while having an iPod plugged into it....
My budget

$500 - $850

Timeline

I am in no real rush to get this done. I just recently bought a Waverunner, and am not looking to make a big ticket purchase for the truck again until sometime after July.

Caveats:

I'm looking for ideas here. I know there are folks on this board that work in car audio, and can steer me the right way. I am doing my own due diligence as well. The last aftermarket head unit I put in was a Pioneer AVH-X5800BT, and LOVED it, but I was running it with the Waze integration, and everything was from an iPhone.

TL/DR - Looking for recommendations on a new head unit to replace OEM Entune Premium

I'm looking at this. They have just the head unit for less but this one is a direct replacement and has all of the adapters to keep all of the steering wheel controls and vehicle specific settings in tact.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IL...mTvo_PTN26Y4SPYzyugjUvDNUQ5GgP8YaAh6XEALw_wcB
If you replace the OEM head unit, will it work with the camera, beeping and everything or will the view look differently? I find the back up camera quality is terrible but I'm not sure if it's the OEM screen or the back up camera? It says it has camera input but I'm curious how this works. Does anyone know? I know I can probably contact Alpine but the downside to that is they may not have Tacoma specific answers!

If you replace the OEM head unit, will it work with the camera, beeping and everything or will the view look differently? I find the back up camera quality is terrible but I'm not sure if it's the OEM screen or the back up camera? It says it has camera input but I'm curious how this works. Does anyone know? I know I can probably contact Alpine but the downside to that is they may not have Tacoma specific answers!
Yeah, everything is still available if you get the iDatalink Maestro add-on module. I think it even gives you more than stock functionality.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMRR/iDatalink-Maestro-ADS-MRR-Interface-Module.html

I know you can install a double din in replacement of the oem head unit just have to find the bracket and I haven’t had luck either on finding it but there is a way

I want to circle back to this. I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood DMX 905s.

Yeah, it's on the other site, but it's easier for me to hotlinking it, than to copy and paste everything LOL

I just bought the Kenwood DDX9905S and had it installed. Considered the Alpine Halo 9 but the Kenwood has an HD screen. Much brighter and vivid. Removed my JBL head unit.

Got on Amazon for $550. You’ll need the iDataLink TO2 and the Maestro as well. Install fee was $150. For now, I’ll leave the OEM amplifier and speakers. Major benefit is Apple CarPlay. Retains button functions on steering wheel.

E2246673-BBE8-4937-AB47-3235FE34BC85.jpeg
B1D04DD2-E471-4FBE-8091-1064FB416681.jpeg

I just bought the Kenwood DDX9905S and had it installed. Considered the Alpine Halo 9 but the Kenwood has an HD screen. Much brighter and vivid. Removed my JBL head unit.

Got on Amazon for $550. You’ll need the iDataLink TO2 and the Maestro as well. Install fee was $150. For now, I’ll leave the OEM amplifier and speakers. Major benefit is Apple CarPlay. Retains button functions on steering wheel.

E2246673-BBE8-4937-AB47-3235FE34BC85.jpeg
B1D04DD2-E471-4FBE-8091-1064FB416681.jpeg
Aaaaaaannnnnnddddd added to my bookmarks of mod list

Back