• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hub to fender measurements

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Hey all just curious on your hub to fender measurements, lift you used and taco model.

I have a DCLB put the 888 ome coils with 5100s all around and headstrong AAL in back, just don’t think I got enough lift from the coils. About 22.5” driver front, still low with 1/4 spacer. Appears I only got 1.75” in the front? Is max recommended still 24” without problems?

So right now I only have a photo of ground to front of the front fender measurement. But the measurements you asked for from the hub to fender are:
21.5” front before, 23.75” front after
21.25” rear before, 25.25 rear after

I do think my front went up a little on the low side, total increase was about 2.25”. Definitely less than I had hoped. And in the rear I got 4” because I got the Dakar heavy duty leaf pack replacement. So I do have a bit of a rake, which is fine with me, but like you I wish I got more out of the front.

I have 887 coils and 5100’s.

Taco model is DCLB OR. This photo compares d/s and p/s heights to show how much Taco lean I have despite the 1/4” spacer that’s installed.

892CBE06-65F2-424B-99CA-CE92A3213A3C.jpeg

I wonder why mine is lower, I started at 20.75 in front, figured the DCLB was just that much “heavier” but yours is the same, I know we talked a bit before but did you need extended brakes lines or mod those at all for the rear? And diff drop, how are your CV angles, all good? And you’re running 285s right.

I wonder why mine is lower, I started at 20.75 in front, figured the DCLB was just that much “heavier” but yours is the same, I know we talked a bit before but did you need extended brakes lines or mod those at all for the rear? And diff drop, how are your CV angles, all good? And you’re running 285s right.
Running 285/75's on stock wheels. My kit came with the diff drop spacer and extended brake lines. I have the spacer in but my lazy ass never installed the brake lines. I will eventually but even at full droop my stock lines have some slack left. I have photos of the CV angles, just gotta find them real quick. And one thing I haven't done yet but intend to do eventually is the ECGS bushing mod.

Running 285/75's on stock wheels. My kit came with the diff drop spacer and extended brake lines. I have the spacer in but my lazy ass never installed the brake lines. I will eventually but even at full droop my stock lines have some slack left. I have photos of the CV angles, just gotta find them real quick. And one thing I haven't done yet but intend to do eventually is the ECGS bushing mod.
So which rear shocks did you go with, and do you know how long they are fully extended? I'm debating between the Dakar HD and taking the third leaf out to make it a MD. I'll hold the leaf in case I need the added support for a heavy bumper etc. later on and can put it back in. Also, what break lines came with it? Thank you.

I had the same problem on my '16 with 888 coils and the answer is the OME 884/5/7/8 coils do not have sufficient spring rate for third gens so they fail to provide adequate lift, do not provide enough cornering stability, and sag tremendously over time. It was a cheap way for them to bring a product to market for a brand new truck without adequate T&E. These trucks are simply too heavy for a 590 lb spring. 640-660 pound springs should be considered the minimum spring rate for a stock 3rd gen and 700lb coils should be used on any 3rd Gen with 100-300 lbs added weight.

888s are also unfortunately long enough that you should not consider pre-loading them on 5100s, they may bind.

If you want to stick with an OME coil, I would suggest the 886. There are only 2-3mm shorter than the 888 but have 70lb higher spring rate.

Also, I too got well over 3.5" of lift from the Dakar HDs in the rear initially, but after 2 years of very frequent wheeling and carrying 250+lbs over stock 24/7 they had settled down to about 2.75" over stock and the truck sat a lot closer to level.

Last edited:
Back