• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How to add rear lift with 5100s?

gene158

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So my truck is currently at stock height. I'm running 265/70/17s and even with some trimming, I get just a bit of rubbing when going into steep driveways and stuff. I've been thinking about getting the adjustable bilstein 5100s because I like the adjustability of the front shocks being able to lift as little as .65". I know that this setup won't give me any lift in the rear which if I ran the front spring on the second notch probably wouldn't be an issue. However if I decide to raise the front more than that, I'm gonna want to lift the rear a little bit. What's the simplest/cleanest way to lift the rear an inch or two? Lift blocks? AAL?
IMG_1668.JPG

Just a personal opinion - but I would recommend an AAL over a block in the rear. Since the 5100s are adjustable up front you can set them to be even with the lift you'll get in the rear, this will likely solve your tire rubbing issue and also increase your payload a bit

Just a personal opinion - but I would recommend an AAL over a block in the rear. Since the 5100s are adjustable up front you can set them to be even with the lift you'll get in the rear, this will likely solve your tire rubbing issue and also increase your payload a bit
What AAL kit would you recommend. I'm usually not hauling anything too heavy. The heaviest would be if I have 2 dirt bikes in the back.

What AAL kit would you recommend. I'm usually not hauling anything too heavy. The heaviest would be if I have 2 dirt bikes in the back.
There's probably a ton of brands that make them, and I'm by no means an expert about leaf springs or what makes one higher quality than another. That being said I know someone who used these Pro Comp and hasn't had issues https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-rear-add-a-leaf-pair-13120/_/R-DFCW-13120 in the description it says "Lift Height: 1.5 - 2.5 inch" so you could set the front and rear both to 1.5" - 2.0" hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the help!
What add a leaf did you get ? I have my 5100s and was going to get a 1.5 aal from wheelers offroad . Just wondering what setting you had to go with on the fronts and how the ride feels ?

So my truck is currently at stock height. I'm running 265/70/17s and even with some trimming, I get just a bit of rubbing when going into steep driveways and stuff. I've been thinking about getting the adjustable bilstein 5100s because I like the adjustability of the front shocks being able to lift as little as .65". I know that this setup won't give me any lift in the rear which if I ran the front spring on the second notch probably wouldn't be an issue. However if I decide to raise the front more than that, I'm gonna want to lift the rear a little bit. What's the simplest/cleanest way to lift the rear an inch or two? Lift blocks? AAL?
IMG_1668.JPG
Just to clarify: The 5100s are not necessarily adjustable in the same way that more expensive shocks are. You need to decide where you want to set them on the coil and then install them on your truck. That will be your permanent setting unless you take them back off the truck and off the coil and put them in a different position.

With truly adjustable shocks, you can easily change the height using a threaded system by just rotating the shock in either direction. This can be done at any time (even while installed).

But there is nothing wrong with the 5100s as long as you know what your goal height is beforehand.

Back