• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How much do you owe on your Tacoma?

I have a 2019 sport long bed. Msrp was 35k with taxes and everything would of been about 38k talked them down to 28k without taxes. All said and done had to take a loan out for 25k and was a first time buyer but had over 800 credit score so got a 4.6% interest rate compared to 18% originally from my credit union because being a first time buyer. Owe about 17k left on it but put over 10k into the truck lol.

Bought it after trading my Jeep, financed about half. Plan on paying it off pretty quickly, hopefully by December, since I've gone from resident to surgeon in the last few months.

Bought it after trading my Jeep, financed about half. Plan on paying it off pretty quickly, hopefully by December, since I've gone from resident to surgeon in the last few months.
Damn! I haven't been in our "what do you do for work" thread in a while, but if you haven't already, you should go show that off. ;)

2019 TRD OffRoad
ZERO owed, traded my FJ and cash for it
BUT, my credit card bill each month for mods and such just about equals a Corolla payment.......
Lol same here but in addition to my truck payment 🤧

So I’ve been saving for about 8 months and I’ll have around $43k in another month. My plan has been to buy a loaded White 2020 DCLB offroad. I’ve noticed dealerships have almost no inventory and supposedly it’s due to Covid shutting down manufacturing. My question is should I just wait for a 2021 since I basically have full MSRP saved for a truck? Or just try to find a 2020 and get the best deal I can on it?

So I’ve been saving for about 8 months and I’ll have around $43k in another month. My plan has been to buy a loaded White 2020 DCLB offroad. I’ve noticed dealerships have almost no inventory and supposedly it’s due to Covid shutting down manufacturing. My question is should I just wait for a 2021 since I basically have full MSRP saved for a truck? Or just try to find a 2020 and get the best deal I can on it?
Just my opinion, but at this point I would wait for the 2021.

Or find a deal on a 2020. I would be opportunistic.

Or find a deal on a 2020. I would be opportunistic.
That makes sense to get the better price.

Me personally, I'd want whatever cool stuff the 2021 might come with. However, it might not have anything new, or it might have annoying new stuff like how 2017 to 2018 was with TSS.

Tyler,
Totally agree with you. The 2020 was the upgrade year, power seats, upgraded tranny, apple CarPlay, headlight upgrade. Suspect the 2021 will be a replay. 2022 or 23 should be the 4th gen based on the new common Tacoma-Tundra platform.

Tyler,
Totally agree with you. The 2020 was the upgrade year, power seats, upgraded tranny, apple CarPlay, headlight upgrade. Suspect the 2021 will be a replay. 2022 or 23 should be the 4th gen based on the new common Tacoma-Tundra platform.
I was a little jelly about that 2020 stuff. Especially being able to lower the seat.

Good job saving, but definitely don’t spent that much on an off road lol
My truck was 42k MSRP and I negotiated down to around 34k.
May be a bit tougher to negotiate given limited supply but you should still be A bit under MSRP.

Good job saving, but definitely don’t spent that much on an off road lol
My truck was 42k MSRP and I negotiated down to around 34k.
May be a bit tougher to negotiate given limited supply but you should still be A bit under MSRP.
No worries that definitely wasn’t my plan haha. I just wanted to have enough for the truck as well as parts and other new vehicle expenses.

No worries that definitely wasn’t my plan haha. I just wanted to have enough for the truck as well as parts and other new vehicle expenses.
I’ve actually been in contact with several dealers over the past few days and almost none of them are willing to negotiate below MSRP. I was only able to find one dealer that would do 500$ off MSRP. A couple dealers aren’t even letting them go for anything less than $5,000 over sticker price. Quite an unfortunate time to be in the market right now for a new Tacoma. Buying used is near impossible right now as well.

I’ve actually been in contact with several dealers over the past few days and almost none of them are willing to negotiate below MSRP. I was only able to find one dealer that would do 500$ off MSRP. A couple dealers aren’t even letting them go for anything less than $5,000 over sticker price. Quite an unfortunate time to be in the market right now for a new Tacoma. Buying used is near impossible right now as well.
If it turns out that way I’m fine with waiting till the 21’s have been out for a month or two and the price gouging dies out and buying one. If I can get a good deal on a 20 now, or once the 21’s come out then even better.

Wow that's pretty crazy to think about.
It's wild to me that, in the midst of a pandemic and a recession, dealerships were still selling enough to outrun the slowed production.

I was looking for used vehicles for my sister recently and I did some online searches for Jeep JKs. I know they hold their value well, but as you are kind of saying, they were, in my opinion, not even worth buying used. When you factor in its mileage, the model-year and what features it didn't have then, and everything else about buying used, you get more for your money to just buy or lease new. Since Tacomas also hold their value well, I imagine the same is true for trying to buy one used.

She ended up with a 2013 Ford Fusion with lowish mileage at 60k. In that case, the value for used to new made sense.

I owe $46,000 CAD but that includes remainder of my last Rav4. I'm on a 7 year plan. But I make extra payments and the plan is too have it paid in 4 years. I bought my wife a new Ford Expedition which she pays for so in total I'm in for over $110,000. Which will be paid off in 5 years. After that I should be good to finance pretty much anything I want. I look forward too the new 2025 Tacoma lol.

I owe NOTHING on my truck.
Great Feeling to hand them my Debit Card and said to RUN IT.
A few mins later I was signing and leaving with my new truck.

I owe NOTHING on my truck.
Great Feeling to hand them my Debit Card and said to RUN IT.
A few mins later I was signing and leaving with my new truck.
That's awesome. Jealous.

Now that I’m starting to get more into finances I realized I made a huge mistake on paying it off in 2 years. I put 15k down and did a 4 year loan. I should've put as little down and got the longest loan so I could Have more cash on hand for other investments. But you live and you learn.

Now that I’m starting to get more into finances I realized I made a huge mistake on paying it off in 2 years. I put 15k down and did a 4 year loan. I should've put as little down and got the longest loan so I could Have more cash on hand for other investments. But you live and you learn.
I don't think that paying it off was a bad decision.

It can go both ways though. If you get a really good APR (under 2%) then yes, it's most likely better to put that money somewhere where you can gain more on it.
However capital gains aren't guaranteed on investments. There is always the possibility the markets tank (as they did in March) and then you're probably more negative than you'd have been paying the loan interest.

Bought for $36k in September 2018 before I started my apprenticeship. Paid it off in July of this year.

The peace of mind of being debt free was worth more to me than having extra cash on hand for the last two years. I don’t invest much outside of my 401k anyway.

This is kind of how I see things but I know it’s an unpopular opinion.

Back