• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

High Pitched Whine When Accelerating

EmpyreOffroad

4️⃣ Gold
Authorized Vendor
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
empyreoffroad.com
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
This happens every 4-5 days. It's not something that always happens. Anyone experience anything like this?

This happens every 4-5 days. It's not something that always happens. Anyone experience anything like this?

It might be the idler pulley. Mine does the same thing, dealership couldn't figure it out, but a local mechanic did. He pointed to the pulley while the engine was running and you could see it wobble. Said it's a baring inside. You can read Toyota's description in the link.

Upvote 0
It might be the idler pulley. Mine does the same thing, dealership couldn't figure it out, but a local mechanic did. He pointed to the pulley while the engine was running and you could see it wobble. Said it's a baring inside. You can read Toyota's description in the link.

it's the belt. trust me. easy to change.

Upvote 0
Did you end up figuring this issue out? Mine just started this tonight… even does it when revving engine in park. Coming from driver side of engine.

Upvote 0
Did you end up figuring this issue out? Mine just started this tonight… even does it when revving engine in park. Coming from driver side of engine.

It's the belt.

Upvote 0
My 2021Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road at 18,000 miles, makes the same noise. At the highest RPM just before shifting into the next gear it squeals very briefly. I took it to the Toyota dealer, of course it wouldn't make the noise while test driving with the mechanic.
A side note; About a month earlier I had the same Tacoma at the Toyota dealership because it made a howling sound when easing off the accelerator at about 55 MPH. The howl would stop by either speeding up to more than 55 MPH or slowing below 55 MPH. They decided to replace the differential. It made no difference, its still doing exacting the same thing. The cost was $3477.23. Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump/valve.. its silver and on the passenger side under the hood to the rear of engine.. also look up on YouTube there is also a tech info on noise TSB
Where on YouTube is this video? I just bought mine (along with bumper to bumper warranty) thank goodness yesterday. I didn't hear it on the test drive but on the way home I got to accelerate at higher speeds and I get a kind of whining noise in same spot. No check engine light or anything

Upvote 0
Back