• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

High Pitched Whine When Accelerating

EmpyreOffroad

4️⃣ Gold
Authorized Vendor
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
empyreoffroad.com
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
This happens every 4-5 days. It's not something that always happens. Anyone experience anything like this?

Do you have an aftermarket stereo, amplifier? Almost sounded like electrical noise. I could be way off though.

Upvote 0
Must be the turbos kicking in!

Jokes aside, it's hard to tell from the video but almost sounds like a belt to me. Is it under the hood?

Upvote 0
@WarFabArmor what do you think?
Added anything electrical recently. Lights? Cb? Sounds like something has a poor ground and is amplified when you wind up the alternator.
ETA: I'm watching this on a phone so audio isn't the best.

Upvote 0
This happens every 4-5 days. It's not something that always happens. Anyone experience anything like this?

Hi ,
Watched the video, that's an annoyance
I start with
1) lower control arms (insure the holes are taped or have clips in them it's a known whistle spot , and I'm only asking because I can still hear a whistle when you let off the gas)
2) check your intake setup (if you have aftermarket, no just check everythingnsecure all hoses on and in good shape)
3) there is a known tsb for a leaking manifold I'll have to verify that one later
4)I would also check your rear diff lvl and for a possible TSB leak on the bolt face (kinda also sounds like a bearing, that's why the asking)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump/valve.. its silver and on the passenger side under the hood to the rear of engine.. also look up on YouTube there is also a tech info on noise TSB

Upvote 0
Added anything electrical recently. Lights? Cb? Sounds like something has a poor ground and is amplified when you wind up the alternator.
ETA: I'm watching this on a phone so audio isn't the best.
nothing recently. i added a light bar a year ago.

Upvote 0
Hi ,
Watched the video, that's an annoyance
I start with
1) lower control arms (insure the holes are taped or have clips in them it's a known whistle spot , and I'm only asking because I can still hear a whistle when you let off the gas)
2) check your intake setup (if you have aftermarket, no just check everythingnsecure all hoses on and in good shape)
3) there is a known tsb for a leaking manifold I'll have to verify that one later
4)I would also check your rear diff lvl and for a possible TSB leak on the bolt face (kinda also sounds like a bearing, that's why the asking)
great suggestions. thank you. i'll have to dig in on saturday.

Upvote 0
great suggestions. thank you. i'll have to dig in on saturday.
If your controls have open holes there is a tsb on them they should look like this the circled holes should be covered if not use some duck tape for now see how it geos if it stops take to dealer for the TSB

upload_2016-6-8_11-59-37.jpg

Upvote 0
very
If your controls have open holes there is a tsb on them they should look like this the circled holes should be covered if not use some duck tape for now see how it geos if it stops take to dealer for the TSB

upload_2016-6-8_11-59-37.jpg

Very helpful. Thank you

Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps but had a similar problem. Found out the Serp Belt was glazed and every time I accelerated I would get this nasty sound. Replaced it and noise was gone.

Upvote 0
So I wanted to reach out to you about this high pitch noise issue. Take off the serpentine belt and run the engine around 2000 rpm see if the noise is there or not.. I just had to replace all of the pulleys and the belt tensioner and belt to get rid of my whining. Just a friendly suggestion.

Upvote 0
After 26k same issue here. It’s def related to accelerating higher then off gas and quiets a little.

Upvote 0
I heard the same thing a couple weeks ago. It got me all paranoid. Drove it home, tried checking it at idle and revving in Park, but could not reproduce the sound, so i shut off the engine and went inside. Never came back. Dealership didn't mention anything in a recent maintenance check, so guess they didn't hear it either.

If i had to venture a guess, I'd say it was a vacuum leak - perhaps a torn/loose hose. I once added a silicone hose on my old car, and didn't secure it very well. When i got on the freeway and romped on it, the hose popped off on one end and i heard the same sound, just 10x louder.

Upvote 0
I’m hoping to have a high pitched whine when accelerating here pretty soon too.

Upvote 0
Recall repair had the tech review the noise but of course the noise was not there. I picked the truck up just after noon and no sound. Maybe corrected itself ....

I’ve noticed through the week it’s not present in mornings but later after the day warms up the slight noise comes back. Definitely around the belt area.

Hope it’s gone!

Upvote 0
Update, I identified the issue causing belt squeal on my 2018 Tacoma OR (50k miles) the fix for me was the upper, driver side idler pulley. While mine was squealing, I sprayed the bearing with compressed air, dust came out, and the squealing stopped. You can do this while the engine is off btw. So, I replaced the idler pulley and all seems well now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210330_195239398.jpg
    PXL_20210330_195239398.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
Update, I identified the issue causing belt squeal on my 2018 Tacoma OR (50k miles) the fix for me was the upper, driver side idler pulley. While mine was squealing, I sprayed the bearing with compressed air, dust came out, and the squealing stopped. You can do this while the engine is off btw. So, I replaced the idler pulley and all seems well now.
Update again... This did not fix the issue, the squealing is back! :mad: I'm going to Moab in a couple weeks and im tired of screwing with it, so I have an appointment Thursday at the dealership.

Upvote 0
Update again... This did not fix the issue, the squealing is back! :mad: I'm going to Moab in a couple weeks and im tired of screwing with it, so I have an appointment Thursday at the dealership.
Update, update: I replaced the stock belt with a Dayco premium belt from Advance Auto Parts $36 and the issue is gone.

Upvote 0
Back