• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Purchasing gears

NotMeMoe

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
So, I've just recently lifted my truck with a Fabtech 6 inch lift, and put the truck on 35s. Now I have to regear and I'm kind of lost as to what I need to do. I know the stock gear ratio is 3.73, and thats about it. I've heard from several people that I need to go with a gear ratio anywhere between 4.56-4.88. All I know is that I want to get the truck back to the best possible mpg's that I can. Obviously itll never be as good as it was, but as close as possible will suffice. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.

Our stock gears is either 4.30 for manual or 3.90 for automatic for 2016+ Tacoma 3rdGen. What year is your Tacoma?

Upvote 0
If your stock gears is 3.73 I’m guessing you have a 2nd gen Tacoma. Anyway this is the formula: Gear ratio - 35 x gear ratio 3.73 divided by oem tire 30 = 4.35 so closest to this is 4.56 gears. Also do you have elockers or non elockers. Different prices on these so you need to know before hand what you have before ordering. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
2017 TRD Off-Road automatic, I may have misread some information then if they’re 3.90.

Upvote 0
You mean 5.29 unless he goes 40s that’s when shit breaks on IFS
Shit can break any tire size, just depends on how you treat the truck. We carry are spare CV shaft when wheeling on 35's. Waiting on a pair of RCVs :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I’m gonna stick with 4.56s
4.56s aren't available for the 8.75" rear E-locker 3rd member to the best of my knowledge, your options are either 4.88 or 5.29 and I would definitely go 5.29 on any truck running 35s or larger, especially an automatic.
You mean 5.29 unless he goes 40s that’s when shit breaks on IFS
5.29s for these trucks are still a newer offering, but I wouldn't worry about the strength at all. They have almost twice the gear engagement surface of the 'old' 8" rears, and the 5.29 pinion gear for the 8.75" is larger than the stock 8" 4.10 pinion gear.

Upvote 0
I found myself mildly a roused after watching the video.

Upvote 0
Ran into a guy on the beach running 35's and 4.88's just the other day. When asked how he likes the gearing he said "I love them, but I wish I went 5.29's."

That said, I'm pretty much sold on 5.29's. I plan on doing 35's sooner rather than later. With all the weight I have and the tires I can't see what 4.88's makes much sense for my application. This trip we're currently on definitely sealed the deal that gears are a necessity. There's no reason the truck should be in 3rd screaming up a hill.

IMG_20180929_125353518.jpg
IMG_20180929_125518274_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder how much install is for 4.88s? Also, do you have to do front an back?

Upvote 0
I wonder how much install is for 4.88s? Also, do you have to do front an back?
lol, yes you have to do both diffs if you're 4WD

Going rate for a 4WD regear is around $2,500 - $3,000 if the installer supplies everything and does the work. Seems to break down to about $1,200 - $1,400 for parts and $1,400 - $1,800 for labor depending on how you go about it. That doesn't include adding lockers or anything like that.

If you buy complete 3rds from ECGS, install them yourself, and return your cores, the total cost is more like $1,700 depending on shipping and other incidentals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the replies, I went with the 4.88s, and a hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, and the truck runs absolutely wonderful. In fact, the odometer is more accurate now than it was when the truck was stock. MPGs are almost in the same area as they were before I did any truck mods, which is a big plus in my book. Once again, thanks to all for the information you gave, it was great to have some insight into what I was doing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the replies, I went with the 4.88s, and a hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, and the truck runs absolutely wonderful. In fact, the odometer is more accurate now than it was when the truck was stock. MPGs are almost in the same area as they were before I did any truck mods, which is a big plus in my book. Once again, thanks to all for the information you gave, it was great to have some insight into what I was doing.

Nice!! Are you on the 35's yet? What tire size?

Upvote 0
Does anyone want to install the Hypertech speedo calibrator for me? For some reason it sketches me out.

Upvote 0
Super easy man, only takes a few minutes.

Yea, that’s what everyone says, but for some reason I have a fear about removing my dash panel. I can never get shit like that back together without an issue.

Upvote 0
@H3llRid3r its a super easy install, theres a few videos I watched on youtube that shows you exactly how to install the device. Just make sure to take your time with it, and dont force the trim if it doesnt want to budge. Definitely use a decent trim removal set, makes the process so much easier. One thing to note, before installing the device, when you are programming your device, leave the gear set to factory ratios. Otherwise your speed will be way way off, (first hand experience here :LOL:) All I had to do was plug in the old tire size and the new tire size.

Upvote 0
Feel free to check out my instagram, I have photos of the installation there, along with other photos of my truck and other shenanigans:pMy IG name is leekmeister_95

Upvote 0
@H3llRid3r its a super easy install, theres a few videos I watched on youtube that shows you exactly how to install the device. Just make sure to take your time with it, and dont force the trim if it doesnt want to budge. Definitely use a decent trim removal set, makes the process so much easier. One thing to note, before installing the device, when you are programming your device, leave the gear set to factory ratios. Otherwise your speed will be way way off, (first hand experience here :LOL:) All I had to do was plug in the old tire size and the new tire size.

Yes, everyone says it’s easy and it looks easy. I suck at the delicate stuff. But thank you for the encouragement :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone want to install the Hypertech speedo calibrator for me? For some reason it sketches me out.
Yea, that’s what everyone says, but for some reason I have a fear about removing my dash panel. I can never get shit like that back together without an issue.
Yes, everyone says it’s easy and it looks easy. I suck at the delicate stuff. But thank you for the encouragement :)
It's super easy! And you can check out the TACO logo under there. It's a thing.
burp.gif

1540966184477.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are 4.88 going to be too much for a truck without 33s on them? I'm running 265-70-17, and am not planning on going any bigger.

Upvote 0
Back