• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help me pick out some leafs ! Icon RXT 2 vs Dakar HD

cbarcinas671

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a new leaf pack. As of now I'm running the icon AAL on the stock pack; however, that setup sags too much without any weight in the bed. I plan on carrying an rtt, some recovery gear, spare tire 24/7 and I was wondering if anyone could chime in as to which pack might be better suited for me. If I go with the rxt, I plan on using the 2nd setup. Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.

Can't go wrong either way, they're both great packs and not too far off from one another in price... I believe the Dakar HDs are about $150 less than the RXTs. OME has made a number of improvements to my newer leaf packs vs. the older ones I had on my last truck but the RXTs seem to be finished a little nicer in terms of paint. Both packs technically have three different levels of spring rate since you can add and remove leafs from both, the only difference is that the RXTs come with all three out of the box, the Dakars come in a "medium" or "heavy" and the additional spring for "extra heavy" has to be purchased separately. The RXTs are supposedly a bit more progressive as well but I've been really happy with the Dakars so it's truly a coin toss. You'd have to be running a shitload of weight to justify the 3rd leaf in either of the two packs.

I'm not sure what you plan on running for shocks, but both of these will flex like a boss so it would be wise to take advantage of that if you wheel a lot. If you go with the RXTs you could run Icon's RXT-specific rear shocks for a really nice combination, or pair the Dakars up with one of the custom or semi-custom shocks from someone like Headstrong, AccuTune or DSM. For budget minded shocks the Bilstein B110s also work well with the aftermarket leaf packs, but just remember that if you run any longer shocks you should plan on extending some wiring and running extended brake lines and diff breather line if you have relocated it. I'm currently in the process of sorting all that out on my new truck myself so you should definitely be aware of it in advance.

☝️ What he said.

I have the Dakar HD's with the extra leaf. No complaints here.

I’m running the rxt in config 2. A little stiff with nothing in the bed. Overall super happy with the setup.

Can't go wrong either way, they're both great packs and not too far off from one another in price... I believe the Dakar HDs are about $150 less than the RXTs. OME has made a number of improvements to my newer leaf packs vs. the older ones I had on my last truck but the RXTs seem to be finished a little nicer in terms of paint. Both packs technically have three different levels of spring rate since you can add and remove leafs from both, the only difference is that the RXTs come with all three out of the box, the Dakars come in a "medium" or "heavy" and the additional spring for "extra heavy" has to be purchased separately. The RXTs are supposedly a bit more progressive as well but I've been really happy with the Dakars so it's truly a coin toss. You'd have to be running a shitload of weight to justify the 3rd leaf in either of the two packs.

I'm not sure what you plan on running for shocks, but both of these will flex like a boss so it would be wise to take advantage of that if you wheel a lot. If you go with the RXTs you could run Icon's RXT-specific rear shocks for a really nice combination, or pair the Dakars up with one of the custom or semi-custom shocks from someone like Headstrong, AccuTune or DSM. For budget minded shocks the Bilstein B110s also work well with the aftermarket leaf packs, but just remember that if you run any longer shocks you should plan on extending some wiring and running extended brake lines and diff breather line if you have relocated it. I'm currently in the process of sorting all that out on my new truck myself so you should definitely be aware of it in advance.

I'll be interested to see what you do with the locker cable. On the 15th I'll have the Dakar Medium duty installed with break lines etc, but I'll have to take care of the locker and any other cables.

I too am upgrading from the ICON AAL. I'm not running as much weight as you so my decision to go with the Dakar was so I could add a leaf later if needed (Only $70 for the extra leaf), but not have one laying around if I did not need it. Also, I've heard nothing but great things about the Dakar's holding up and ability to flex. Not much of a reason between the two, and sounds like you'll be running a heavy load. Hopefully, someone with the RXT can tell you if it sags or not.

I have the icon 2.0 shocks in the rear right now. The AAL from the stage 3 is not cutting it for me, sags way too much imo. I do like how the rxts come with everything for each stage but I think I'm going to save a bit of money and go with the dakars. I was worried about the dakars flattening due to some other members reporting on it. Orr since the truck has Icon suspension on it maybe I should go with the rxt's hmmm ?

If your Icon 2.0s are the standard length ones, I think you will likely need longer shocks either way. The Dakars and RXTs both in the "middle setting" for lack of a better term will easily give you another 1.5" of lift over a sagging OEM leaf pack with AALs.

My Dakars did settle down in the 2 years that I owned the last set but I was carrying extra weight on them full-time and wheeled the absolute piss out of them so all the flexing takes a toll after a while. At no point did they ever sag, however, even with 450+ pounds in the bed.

I was quite happy with them. This was taken a one day before my transfer case exploded and I traded the truck. At this point they had at least ~2 years and 28,000 miles on them and there was probably 300lbs over stock in/on the bed. Also keep in mind that these were the "old" Dakars and they have since made some improvements:

31103279_10155022437270904_4704318779426_0cd04bd46ed8fae213b7013079c81931b2a88a18.jpg

For budget minded shocks the Bilstein B110s also work well with the aftermarket leaf packs, but just remember that if you run any longer shocks you should plan on extending some wiring and running extended brake lines and diff breather line if you have relocated it. I'm currently in the process of sorting all that out on my new truck myself so you should definitely be aware of it in advance.

Can you elaborate on what wiring needs to be extended? I'm looking at buying 5100's all around with OME 887 springs and the heavy Dakar pack.

This is the kit I'm contemplating buying http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html# it comes with the extended brake lines but this is the first I've heard about having to extend wiring as well. (New to the whole truck scene so sorry if it's a dumb question).

Can you elaborate on what wiring needs to be extended? I'm looking at buying 5100's all around with OME 887 springs and the heavy Dakar pack.

This is the kit I'm contemplating buying http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html# it comes with the extended brake lines but this is the first I've heard about having to extend wiring as well. (New to the whole truck scene so sorry if it's a dumb question).
Not much to elaborate on. That kit already includes brake lines. On my old truck the ABS sensor wiring needed to be extended by shimming, reshaping and relocating some brackets. In my case the relocated diff breather line was the perfect length with the OEM leafs but when I switched to the Dakars/B110s it was taught at full droop so I had to buy a new hose and re-plumb it. On my new truck, the rear shocks are almost a full inch shorter and I have a different/larger rear end, so I still extended the brake lines to be safe but I did not have to extend or adjust the locker or ABS sensor wiring as I had feared I might.

At the end of the day, every truck, shackle and leaf pack is a little different, you just need to see what on yours, if anything, is getting pulled or stretched at full droop. The B110s have extremely long extended lengths so they allow every bit of downtravel the Dakars are able to provide which means the likelihood that you'll have to make adjustments is far higher than someone running standard or the typical 1-2" extended length rear shocks. On the flip side, you'll get more flex out of the rear than just about any other direct-bolt-on setup at any price.

FYI, 887s will suck and I would not use them, especially in conjunction with the HD rears. Just an FYI. I would do 886s at a minimum on a 3rd Gen. I had 888s which are even longer than 887s and I hated them (that's actually my old truck in the 3rd picture on Headstrong's website). 887s would be a decent match for a progressive AAL on factory leafs on a truck that will forever remain stock weight, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. My end goal is to get about 2inchs of lift and run some slightly beefier tires. Nothing crazy. The truck will mostly see paved roads but I want to make it a bit more capable for back country trips/camping. I'm also wanting a bit more carrying capability when towing a trailer. Just looking to make sure the truck doesn't sag. That was why I was thinking of going with the HD leaf pack. What springs would you recommend with those goals in mind?

HD Dakars will give you more like 4" of lift in the back without any extra weight on them. My old Dakars didn't settle down to 3.25" over stock until I had like 26,000 miles on them running a constant 300lbs over stock every single day. I don't tow so trailering is definitely outside my wheelhouse, but I would almost think an airbag or sumo spring type setup would be better for your uses. A progressive AAL with the overload spring left installed will give you around 2" of lift in the back. Which is probably about what the 887s would give after they sag. And they will sag a lot over time, just as my 888s did.

I am not sure exactly how much a snug top rebel weighs but would the setup he’s talking about work with the 887’s then?

I am not sure exactly how much a snug top rebel weighs but would the setup he’s talking about work with the 887’s then?
There were a few discussed in this thread. Which setup do you mean specifically?

Sorry, I should have specified. The 5100 with the OME coils. I didn't really understand what I was reading with regards to the 887 vs 886. If I am going to have a campershell on full time, which coils should I be looking at?

Sorry, I should have specified. The 5100 with the OME coils. I didn't really understand what I was reading with regards to the 887 vs 886. If I am going to have a campershell on full time, which coils should I be looking at?
The 886 have a higher weight rating than the 887 do. I would get the 886 if you’re going to have a lot of weight in your truck. However, the 886 are coils and coils are only in the front. You have leaf springs in the rear and the leaf springs matter more for weight you’ll have over the bed, such as your camper. There are heavy duty leaf spring options that you should be opting for in addition to the coils for the front.

Ive been running Dakar HD's for a while and theyre great if your hauling a TON of weight, but if you try and do any sporty off-roading (such as dune driving)...then they really stink. The progressive rate just isnt there for a quality ride on the dunes. Lighter off-roading and crawling theyre fine, but make sure you have your weight set correctly so they perform as designed. Daily driving they're absolutely fine. I also found mine to be super squeaky so ever other week I bathe them in grease lol

I would look at a set of Deaver's instead. Much higher quality leaf pack

We’ve been running the Icon RXTs on both of our trucks, the Raptor and the Tacoma. The ride is phenomenal and the 3 options for lift height makes it a fairly easy choice in my opinion.

Dakar’s and especially the HD ride stuff from what I’ve experienced.

I’ve got them here for $699 with free shipping, let me know if I can help ya out with any questions!

Back