• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help me choose some damn tires

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Alright, I've been agonizing over this for awhile. I finally have money to replace the stock POS tires and get something far better. I'm 90% on road (9 months of that on very wet road, because Oregon) 6% gravel 2% snow/ice, 1% sand and 1% giant fucking puddles. I put about 8k miles on the truck every year (so far). No lift or intention to get one and I don't want to do any body cuts. Currently running the stock 265/70r/16. I'm figuring I'll stick with that because 1) I don't understand @Malcolm 's posts about Tire Size Fitment and Lift and he's gone MIA for the last month and 2) An accurate speedometer is important to me. So it looks like these are my options:

I've never heard of GENERAL GRABBER AT 2s but they look interesting. The KO2s a seem to be the most popular choice but they seem a bit pricey. The HANKOOK DYNAPRO AT2 seem to come in two prices but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference. If I remove the Sever Winter requirement it added the BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T REVO 3 and I seem to remember having a set of those I liked back in the early 00s on a '94 Ford Exploder.

The load index and speed ratings are different on the two hankook dynapros. Other than that I don’t know what to recommend for a tire. I’m also looking for recommendations.

BFG KO2s are the best. They look good, are quiet and will last. I also just bought at set of Achilles Desert Hawk XMT for the 2020 when it gets in. Rav reviews out there on the Achilles.

Attachments

• 20190613_113907.jpg
    20190613_113907.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 162
Researching. Tire Rack doesn't make this easy. it looks like most of those don't come in a 265/70/16. Would going up to a 265/75/16 have an impact on the speedometer?

Last edited:
Researching. Tire Rack doesn't make this easy. it looks like most of those don't come in a 265/70/16. Would going up to a 265/75/16 have an impact on the speedometer?
Nope shouldn’t affect your speedometer. BFG KO2s probably going to be your best bet IMO or Falken Wildpeaks which are most likely cheaper and get nothing but good reviews

*** I should clarify that I’m not 100% sure about the speedometer so someone else may disagree

(
Nope shouldn’t affect your speedometer. BFG KO2s probably going to be your best bet IMO or Falken Wildpeaks which are most likely cheaper and get nothing but good reviews

*** I should clarify that I’m not 100% sure about the speedometer so someone else may disagree
Mine was only 2 mph off with 265 75. I went from a 245 though

I love my falken wildpeak at3's. They're great in the rain, snow, dirt, and dry roads. I would definitely buy them again. I got them at discount tire when they were having a sale and i couldnt find a better price.

it will change it but actually be closer to accurate mph as some manufacturers lower the true speedo numbers.

you can test this by running your phone GPS now.

That's a good point Rob. My Sienna is 5MPH fast. My Taco has always been pretty dead on though.

I'm virtually in the same situation as the OP but with the added bonus of ice/snow.
I'm torn between the Falken AT3W's and the General Grabber ATX. Both have what I'm looking for in a tire. But then again I can't really decide if I should go with 16's or stay with my stock 17's either.

@cmorty72
Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat with those two. That said, it looks like Costco is having a sale on BFgoodrich so I might give in and see what a set of KO2s would run me.

EDIT:
Looks like $789.92 including a $70 rebate.

Last edited:
@cmorty72
Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat with those two. That said, it looks like Costco is having a sale on BFgoodrich so I might give in and see what a set of KO2s would run me.

EDIT:
Looks like $789.92 with a $70 rebate.
One of the neighbors has been sporting Wildpeaks on his Tundra TRD Pro since October 2018 and loves them. But like with everyone I've encountered with these Falkens, they tend to wear rather quickly even with regular 5K tire rotations.
As for the Grabber ATX's, I'm really liking the tread design and have yet to find anyone say anything bad about them.
I also found a semi-decent package deal on some Grabber ATX's paired with Method MR701's(Matte Black 17x8.5/0) for around $1671 on www.customoffset.com that I'm thinking about jumping after (two pros for me right there... love the MR701's as well as getting a decent tire for my current needs).

Well, I just solved my own dilemma and placed an order for some matte black Method MR702 (17x8.5/0) wearing General Grabber ATX's (LT265/70R17 E-rated). Customoffset.com offered too good of a deal for me to pass up. Looking forward to receiving these by month's end!

Well, I just solved my own dilemma and placed an order for some matte black Method MR702 (17x8.5/0) wearing General Grabber ATX's (LT265/70R17 E-rated). Customoffset.com offered too good of a deal for me to pass up. Looking forward to receiving these by month's end!

Nice. I run wildpeaks 265/70/17 and the speedo difference is negligible. They look good and have been stuffed pretty well on stock with no rubbing. They’re a great tire for the price. Only had em for about 7k miles so far but no complaints.

No experience but I've heard KO2s fail...or are worse on wet roads

My choice when I upgrade will be cooper stmaxx

No experience but I've heard KO2s fail...or are worse on wet roads

My choice when I upgrade will be cooper stmaxx
I've heard the same from locals in my area about the KO2's, which is why I steered clear of those tires. My guess is that the rubber compound takes too long to heat up maybe?
As for the ATX's, the tread design's ability to push out debris laterally along with its "gripping feet" in all temps and conditions was a plus for me.

I ended up going with the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in a 265/75/16 (from a 265/70/16) and they look pretty badass. Heading out to the high desert in a couple weeks to really run them in. $650 for 4 mounted and balance/rotation/repair for the life of the tire.

2019-09-26 16.49.15.jpg

I love my falken wildpeak at3's. They're great in the rain, snow, dirt, and dry roads. I would definitely buy them again. I got them at discount tire when they were having a sale and i couldnt find a better price.
+1 for falkens. So far, not one complaint. They look great, and they're not crazy loud. Got mine at america's tire on a price match. Found a local tire shop that was offering 285/70r17 @ $164.95 ea (regular price $195). Brought that to america's tire and they matched it. Done deal!

+1 for falkens. So far, not one complaint. They look great, and they're not crazy loud. Got mine at america's tire on a price match. Found a local tire shop that was offering 285/70r17 @ $164.95 ea (regular price $195). Brought that to america's tire and they matched it. Done deal!
So lucky tires are cheap

I actually stopped going to Discount Tire/America's Tire. Too many shady business practices. They used to try to hustle my wife every time she went in. Also after I brought back some tires that wore out after 15k and had a 65k warranty they tried to tell me the tires had no warranty becuase "it wasn't in the computer." I had to show them the paperwork I had proving it. Then they shrugged it off as a "computer error" and they didn't seem overly concerned that either they had database corruption wiping out warranties or someone going in and deleting them manually. Bunch of hucksters in that place.

Back