• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

hellopuppie's 2018 Grey Guthe Trail Limo TRD Off-Road DCLB 4x4 Build and BS

Super clean truck man! I was very impressed with everything you’ve done to it.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the complement! It's filthy right now from the dust storm on Thursday but I'ma fix that today! I've still got a lot of things I want to do but it's getting there! ?

Thanks man, I really appreciate the complement! It's filthy right now from the dust storm on Thursday but I'ma fix that today! I've still got a lot of things I want to do but it's getting there! ?
I was going to mention it is soooo clean! Looks great! Love that color

Excuse my ignorance but what one does that cover?
Dude, my truck drives so much better now. Mine was one of the earlier 2018’s so I'm not really sure if that matters or not, but the TSB update made a huge difference for me. Before, it would be a bit sluggish if I hit the gas pretty hard from a complete stop. It would almost feel like it's stalling out for a second then take off. Didn't happen all of the time but it was kinda dangerous if you're pulling out into traffic. Also, I'm not getting to 6th gear by the time I hit 45 and I don't have to hit ECT every time I get in it now. Someone said it felt like somewhere in between ECT and not ECT. I would have to agree with that 100%. So it made all the difference for me and the added bonus is that I appear to be getting better gas mileage! Before, I was getting better gas mileage in ECT anyhow because I didn't have to put my foot into the pedal as much.

Attachments

• T-SB-0062-18.pdf
    397 KB · Views: 134
Google sometimes makes funny animations for me.

20180704_163501-ANIMATION.gif

Last edited:
Dude, my truck drives so much better now. Mine was one of the earlier 2018’s so I'm not really sure if that matters or not, but the TSB update made a huge difference for me. Before, it would be a bit sluggish if I hit the gas pretty hard from a complete stop. It would almost feel like it's stalling out for a second then take off. Didn't happen all of the time but it was kinda dangerous if you're pulling out into traffic. Also, I'm not getting to 6th gear by the time I hit 45 and I don't have to hit ECT every time I get in it now. Someone said it felt like somewhere in between ECT and not ECT. I would have to agree with that 100%. So it made all the difference for me and the added bonus is that I appear to be getting better gas mileage! Before, I was getting better gas mileage in ECT anyhow because I didn't have to put my foot into the pedal as much.

I guess I’m lucky. I’m not experiencing this one. Mine has run solid from day one.

I’ve noticed that it can run at higher rpm’s (4,500 range) when going uphill on the freeway and seems like it should shift to the next gear but never does. Honestly though, I never really know what gear I’m in. Is there someway to tell without counting as it shifts?

I guess I’m lucky. I’m not experiencing this one. Mine has run solid from day one.

I’ve noticed that it can run at higher rpm’s (4,500 range) when going uphill on the freeway and seems like it should shift to the next gear but never does. Honestly though, I never really know what gear I’m in. Is there someway to tell without counting as it shifts?
Cool, mine had a bit of a shifting issue before this latest TSB so I would always drive with ECT on. A lot of the time, especially on side streets, I'd put it in S4 or S5 to prevent it going into 6th gear. I don't need to be in 6th gear at 40/mph and under 1000 RPM's. Any pedal movement towards the floor, no matter how little, it would start the "gear hunting" everyone complains about. I never complained about it publicly but it was annoying AF! It's awesome now, even feels like they released a little more power from the engine for us to use.

I don't think there's really a way to tell what gear you're in except the old counting method. I'd bet that you would benefit from the new TSB even though your truck has run solid from the start. @JerryTaco2.0's truck has always run pretty solid and he never had any issues either, but he had it done anyway and saw a big difference. You don't really know until you really know! (y)

Cool, mine had a bit of a shifting issue before this latest TSB so I would always drive with ECT on. A lot of the time, especially on side streets, I'd put it in S4 or S5 to prevent it going into 6th gear. I don't need to be in 6th gear at 40/mph and under 1000 RPM's. Any pedal movement towards the floor, no matter how little, it would start the "gear hunting" everyone complains about. I never complained about it publicly but it was annoying AF! It's awesome now, even feels like they released a little more power from the engine for us to use.

I don't think there's really a way to tell what gear you're in except the old counting method. I'd bet that you would benefit from the new TSB even though your truck has run solid from the start. @JerryTaco2.0's truck has always run pretty solid and he never had any issues either, but he had it done anyway and saw a big difference. You don't really know until you really know! (y)

Yea, good point. I could get it done and worst case scenario it’s like it’s always been.

Good to see you on the forum again. Seems like it’s been a while.

Would you mind giving me your opinion on my lower ball joint, tie rod and CV axle. Do they seem like they are at a funky angle? My biggest concern is if my ball joint is whack. The consensus I’ve been able to get so far is that it will move as the suspension flex’s, so I shouldn’t worry about it.

My coils (drivers side mostly) have a fair amount of preload on them, which gives the truck a fairly rough ride on the highway. Off-reading is fine.

76D874BF-219B-42B7-AA8C-30656AC534EC.jpeg
7F43FC40-42A2-4F6B-A790-395C29D6B1AB.jpeg

Would you mind giving me your opinion on my lower ball joint, tie rod and CV axle. Do they seem like they are at a funky angle? My biggest concern is if my ball joint is whack. The consensus I’ve been able to get so far is that it will move as the suspension flex’s, so I shouldn’t worry about it.

My coils (drivers side mostly) have a fair amount of preload on them, which gives the truck a fairly rough ride on the highway. Off-reading is fine.

76D874BF-219B-42B7-AA8C-30656AC534EC.jpeg
7F43FC40-42A2-4F6B-A790-395C29D6B1AB.jpeg
Looks pretty normal to me. As for the coils, are they the 600# springs that come with Kings? Or have you upgraded to 700's?

cf612b1832fbe419cd1b17baeb0dcb9faa1efbe1_hq.gif

Lol, what's been goin on man? Yeah, work has been way too busy lately which kinda fucks with my fuckin around time!
spy.gif

Not a hell of a lot. I haven’t had the truck off-road since July. Life has a way of interfering with extracurricular activities. But I am enjoying the college football season. The Utes are finally playing the way they were expected to. Still have a shot at winning the south and playing in the PAC-12 championship.

The good thing about work is that it allows you to spend it on truck parts. I’m seriously considering getting 5.29’s. Not that I have an issue with the 488’s, but I sometimes would like a lower gear.

Back