• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Front Bumpers/Grille Guards

EaglePower

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Hey all! Excited to join the forum and see all of your builds and slowly do my own. I just recently bought a new '19 Quicksand Double Cab Long Bed Off-Road Tacoma, and I think the first thing I need to do with it is replace the front bumper with some armor! I live in southwest Colorado, Durango to be specific, and I need some armor to protect my truck from deer (and sometimes elk) as they often get hit here. I've been looking at lots of bumpers, and I think my top choice is Mode's bumper/grille guard because of the price (it comes with all the pieces unwelded, so you save at least $500 compared to others, plus free shipping) the look, and it will definitely save my truck from anything I could hit. I also really like C4's bumper/grille guard, but the low profile and the fact that the bumper is flush with the grille worries me that there's still a possibility of damage to my front end if I happen to hit anything. What's y'all's take on some front end armor? I'd love to also see some pictures of what you guys have! I've attached a couple pictures of Mode's bumper, they didn't actually have any pictures of a Tacoma with their bumper on it; and one of C4's bumper. My favorite look is that the bumper comes all the way up to the headlights, that looks real sweet to me.

Attachments

• 22335.jpeg
    22335.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 22336.jpeg
    22336.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 2016-Tacoma-3rd-Gen-Overland-Series-Front-Bumper-Full-Size-No-Cut-3.jpg
    2016-Tacoma-3rd-Gen-Overland-Series-Front-Bumper-Full-Size-No-Cut-3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
Hey all! Excited to join the forum and see all of your builds and slowly do my own. I just recently bought a new '19 Quicksand Double Cab Long Bed Off-Road Tacoma, and I think the first thing I need to do with it is replace the front bumper with some armor! I live in southwest Colorado, Durango to be specific, and I need some armor to protect my truck from deer (and sometimes elk) as they often get hit here. I've been looking at lots of bumpers, and I think my top choice is Mode's bumper/grille guard because of the price (it comes with all the pieces unwelded, so you save at least $500 compared to others, plus free shipping) the look, and it will definitely save my truck from anything I could hit. I also really like C4's bumper/grille guard, but the low profile and the fact that the bumper is flush with the grille worries me that there's still a possibility of damage to my front end if I happen to hit anything. What's y'all's take on some front end armor? I'd love to also see some pictures of what you guys have! I've attached a couple pictures of Mode's bumper, they didn't actually have any pictures of a Tacoma with their bumper on it; and one of C4's bumper. My favorite look is that the bumper comes all the way up to the headlights, that looks real sweet to me.
You may save 500$ on unwelded pieces, but the bumper is bulkier, and you still have to pay to have it assembled and welded together, and then you have to paint it, so in reality depending on who welds it and how you end up painting it you could be paying the same amount as the C4 fab bumper. I have the C4 on mine and i can tell you first hand its worth it to have something come ready to install. Ive seen these bumper kits and they just look like a hastle. The C4 is garunteed to fit where as if you buy something that needs to be assembled, its not garunteed it will be an exact fit. Not to mention the bulk of these bumpers, which in my opinion i just dont think looks good. That is however, just my opinion and ultimately is your choice. just trying to break some things down for you.

IMG_3462.JPG

Yeah I have a buddy who welds trailers for a living, said he could weld the bumper for me in a few hours, so I'd probably pay him around $200. Any idea how much a powder coat costs to paint on? Don't have a buddy for that, so that would be full price haha. I really do love the look of the C4 bumper, only worried that the low-profile wouldn't be best in case I hit something. Maybe if I just get another crossbar to go across the grille to protect it in case of a hit, that might be all I need? Do you know how much your C4 bumper weighs? The Mode is around 140lbs they said. Thanks for sharing, your truck looks great!

Yeah I have a buddy who welds trailers for a living, said he could weld the bumper for me in a few hours, so I'd probably pay him around $200. Any idea how much a powder coat costs to paint on? Don't have a buddy for that, so that would be full price haha. I really do love the look of the C4 bumper, only worried that the low-profile wouldn't be best in case I hit something. Maybe if I just get another crossbar to go across the grille to protect it in case of a hit, that might be all I need? Do you know how much your C4 bumper weighs? The Mode is around 140lbs they said. Thanks for sharing, your truck looks great!
You can probably save $ on that by doing it yourself with some enamel paint or something of that sort

Powder coat can cost anywhere from 150-300$ depending on the shop. And the C4 weighs around the same

I think you should pick mostly based off what you like the look of. They’re all gonna do their job. But they all give your truck a totally different look than the next one. So pick one you love.

I don’t have a front bumper at all right now, but my personal preference would probably lead me to CBI, DeMello, or maybe ADD.

Back