• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

First 4x4 ever

dustytaco

3️⃣ Silver
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Quicksand
Just want to start off wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Super thankful for my 2020 TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual that my wife named Sandy. I am a registered nurse located in southern California.

Ride is pretty much stock right now but should be getting wheels and tires this weekend. Saving up a lift, preferably something with reservoirs. Don't do any rock crawling so don't need it right away, but hopefully going to get into it. We do lots of camping and mountain biking.
IMG-0153.jpg

picking it up from the dealer
IMG-0164.jpg

first time touching dirt with my buddy and his '18 Cement OR
IMG-0201.jpg

first time towing anything. it didn't even feel like i was towing anything. granted the '89 Si is not very heavy in the first place
IMG-0518.jpg

BeastFab sliders and Lamin -x fog light covers
IMG-0554.jpg

Dobinsons Snorkel and Cab Mount Chop.
IMG-0556.jpg

IMG-0548.jpg

bought these 4Runner OR wheels from a friend. Planning on wrapping 255/80R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 making them a 33in. I know this question has been asked millions of times, but will it fit? truck is not lifted but has a cab mount chop. if not will be going 255/75R17 BFG KO2s. will be putting on hub centric wheel spacers as well. Any help and input is much appreciated.

Happy thanksgiving to you as well!

Cant offer info on the tires, I went to 35s then 37s right after stock height. So I’ve cut everything to not rub

Just want to start off wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Super thankful for my 2020 TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual that my wife named Sandy. I am a registered nurse located in southern California.

Ride is pretty much stock right now but should be getting wheels and tires this weekend. Saving up a lift, preferably something with reservoirs. Don't do any rock crawling so don't need it right away, but hopefully going to get into it. We do lots of camping and mountain biking.
IMG-0153.jpg

picking it up from the dealer
IMG-0164.jpg

first time touching dirt with my buddy and his '18 Cement OR
IMG-0201.jpg

first time towing anything. it didn't even feel like i was towing anything. granted the '89 Si is not very heavy in the first place
IMG-0518.jpg

BeastFab sliders and Lamin -x fog light covers
IMG-0554.jpg

Dobinsons Snorkel and Cab Mount Chop.
IMG-0556.jpg

IMG-0548.jpg

bought these 4Runner OR wheels from a friend. Planning on wrapping 255/80R17 Toyo Open Country AT3 making them a 33in. I know this question has been asked millions of times, but will it fit? truck is not lifted but has a cab mount chop. if not will be going 255/75R17 BFG KO2s. will be putting on hub centric wheel spacers as well. Any help and input is much appreciated.
That size tire should fit, at the most you may need to rework the front of your wheel liner with a heat gun.

Nice ride! What suspension are you looking at?

I think that tire size might rub a good amount on a stock height truck.

I'm lifted 2" on 275/70R17 and (0 offset wheels) and still had a bit of rub. You'll be a little better off since the 4Runner wheels are positive offset, but I still think it'll rub lol

Anyway, welcome to the Taco fam! Enjoy it

I think that tire size might rub a good amount on a stock height truck.

I'm lifted 2" on 275/70R17 and (0 offset wheels) and still had a bit of rub. You'll be a little better off since the 4Runner wheels are positive offset, but I still think it'll rub lol

Anyway, welcome to the Taco fam! Enjoy it
The issue is your width and the zero offset combined, a 275 is .8" wider add in another inch for your offset and you will experience substantial rubbing.

The issue is your width and the zero offset combined, a 275 is .8" wider add in another inch for your offset and you will experience substantial rubbing.
For sure!

I just think 33's on stock height will rub regardless of offset. May not rub under normal driving conditions but it will when flexed.

Just my 2 cents.

Plastidip'd the wheels and had BFG KO2 mounted. got 255/75R17. slight rubbing on the fender liner (only in reverse tho, weird) but nothing a heat gun can't fix hopefully. no rubbing on cab mounts since its been chopped. kinda worried it might rub a lot during full flex off road. gotta save up for a lift now lol. but I'm kind of thinking of the viper cut to help with rubbing...
IMG-0598.jpg
IMG-0595.jpg
IMG-0594.jpg
IMG-0596.jpg

Here's my video showing how I did the viper cut in case you decide to go that route lol

Not as difficult as it seems, but it's definitely as nerve-wracking

Original link: https://youtu.be/qLdWPiSBgKc

dang. Good to see your video did so good. I made the same cut about 6 months before and got terrible traction. Just goes to show you the analytics work.

I didn’t call it a viper cut, that’s why lol

Last edited:
going to save up for King or Icon, but definitely open to suggestions
do the research, ask yourself what kind of driver /4 wheeling you will be doing, and build your suspension to those needs. alot of options out there.

dang. Good to see your video did so good. I made the same cut about 6 months before and got terrible traction. Just goes to show you the analytics work.

I didn’t call it a viper cut, that’s why lol
youtube is all about the buzzwords man lol

do the research, ask yourself what kind of driver /4 wheeling you will be doing, and build your suspension to those needs. alot of options out there.
Ended up purchasing Bilstein 6112 up front with ARB UCAs and bilstein 5160 with a AAL in the rear. Did not want spend that much just to have to rebuild/service King's or Fox's in 30k miles. I don't plan on hitting whoops or the dunes anytime soon. Maybe after its paid off I'll go that route. i'll post pics after receive them and install.

Ended up purchasing Bilstein 6112 up front with ARB UCAs and bilstein 5160 with a AAL in the rear. Did not want spend that much just to have to rebuild/service King's or Fox's in 30k miles. I don't plan on hitting whoops or the dunes anytime soon. Maybe after its paid off I'll go that route. i'll post pics after receive them and install.
I have been waiting for my Bilstein 6112 front, for over 7 weeks now..

we are going to be running the same setup.I also bought the ARB, UCA'S, I also bought Arb rear leaf springs, 2 inch medium duty. I have a top ordered, and I am doing a bed system

updates on build.

-sitting on bilstein 6112 set at the 5th notch with 1/2 in top hat spacer on the driver side and a 1/4 spacer on the passenger side to account for the “taco lean.” bilstein 5160 in the rear with an Icon AAL. it rides like a different truck.
- ARB UCAs
-got some recovery boards and mounted them to RagoFab bed rail mounts using maxtraxx pins.
- prinsu rack
- KC rock lights, using the yotamafia plug and play harness to the bed light switch.
- prinsu ridgeline handles with baja designs rock lights that I wired to the KC rock lights so they come on when I open/unlock the doors. the wife loves these lights
- TRD skid plate with RCI transmission and transfer case skids (i wish i did the exhaust reroute for a flat belly)
- R4T LCAs skids and bed stiffener
84E9CC90-3A95-48A1-B884-75E492991A0C.jpeg
35E5868B-C2C9-43EE-A891-F436AF85B100.jpeg
B3348AB4-A74E-40BA-9281-E3A6C571E5EC.jpeg
2F63F0BC-C18B-47C3-B390-2A0453260CB2.jpeg
C12B4C7B-0B23-4CEF-8671-1BD71499E804.jpeg

going up to Yellowstone this week. Original plan was to go Montana first and pick up the GFC Superlite, but d/t supply issues it won’t be ready until September now. Borrowed my buddies Thule Tepui Foothill for the trip.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 4BFA137D-2E83-43F4-994C-167AC8194527.jpeg
    4BFA137D-2E83-43F4-994C-167AC8194527.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Sorry for the photo dump,
but the GFC Superlite came. 10 month wait time was worth it.

testing it out at Thomas Mountain in Southern California
IMG-6702.jpg
IMG-1524.jpg
IMG-6713.jpg
IMG-6715.jpg

Plaskett Creek in Big Sur
IMG-1624.jpg
IMG-1626.jpg

Anza-Borrego
IMG-1635.jpg
IMG-1639.jpg

mall crawling at home. put a topo wrap on the prinsu fairing + grille garnish/emblem
IMG-1428.jpg

IMG-1588.jpg

compared to the Thule Tepui Foothill I barrowed from my buddy, the GFC Superlite is way more comfortable, and way easier to set up and tear down. Plus its almost 40 pounds lighter than that tent, and the Thule Foothill is already a small/light tent compared to a lot of the other RTTs on the market. I do however want a bed rack now even though I never wanted/needed one before. I just think it would mount a lil better and be significantly better on gas than having the overhang up front. With the tent mounted how it is I averaged about 15.8 mpg.

Last edited:
Sorry for the photo dump,
but the GFC Superlite came. 10 month wait time was worth it.

testing it out at Thomas Mountain in Southern California
IMG-6702.jpg
IMG-1524.jpg
IMG-6713.jpg
IMG-6715.jpg

Plaskett Creek in Big Sur
IMG-1624.jpg
IMG-1626.jpg

Anza-Borrego
IMG-1635.jpg
IMG-1639.jpg

mall crawling at home. put a topo wrap on the prinsu fairing + grille garnish/emblem
IMG-1428.jpg

IMG-1588.jpg

compared to the Thule Tepui Foothill I barrowed from my buddy, the GFC Superlite is way more comfortable, and way easier to set up and tear down. Plus its almost 40 pounds lighter than that tent, and the Thule Foothill is already a small/light tent compared to a lot of the other RTTs on the market. I do however want a bed rack now even though I never wanted/needed one before. I just think it would mount a lil better and be significantly better on gas than having the overhang up front. With the tent mounted how it is I averaged about 15.8 mpg.
Love it. Count your blessings, I'm sitting pretty at 12.8 mpg in town (15 highway if I do the speed limit...or 12mpg on the highway if you get my drift)

decided to do the “viper cut” on my front bumper. used a dremel and cleaned it up with some edge trim.

74568CB6-5B89-4031-9745-0B8674557972.jpeg
14EFB8B6-0578-4CE3-AD4B-C1761ADD7A2B.jpeg

I’ll be joining the DirtNation boys on a training clinic at Gold Mountain in Big Bear to learn some rock crawling techniques and figured I can use some extra clearance in front.

Got rear ended back in January by a 4runner. took the money and ran! got myself 4WP front and rear bumper with swingout.
3BE6746F-6BC2-4B31-BD26-7C5AABA9D89B.jpeg

3C747E35-A685-4D49-B52A-2E55A6AFC3F9.jpeg
5AE3A33E-8EC8-4FE3-BB30-0CC60B22035C.jpeg
51388722-2506-4FA1-8B78-CD48876286C7.jpeg
3F371A2B-3E46-4480-8534-9DBA44B3618F.jpeg
C187FEBA-5523-410A-A3D1-C512D30951F5.jpeg
313D3148-8C38-4279-8540-30462C93FDAF.jpeg

from that tiny damage, caliber collision estimated it to be $4.6k in damage. that allowed me to get;
4WP front bumper
4WP rear bumper with passenger side swingout and spare tire carrier
aux beam 8gang panel with 3in amber light pods
cam tab gussets dirt king
spindle gussets total chaos
ECGS needle bearing swap
TRD pro style tail lights

my buddies with Tacos all want to get rear ended now lmao
just need to get that spare tire matching the rest

What made you go with the 1/4" spacer over the 6/5 - 6112 settings they recommend?
i wanted the same preload on both sides instead of having to compensate with the tacolean. that’s just the info I was able to gather from this forum anyways.

Back