• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

First 4x4 ever

i wanted the same preload on both sides instead of having to compensate with the tacolean. that’s just the info I was able to gather from this forum anyways.

Just a thought, I just find myself thinking about the most insignificant thing in great detail for no reason.
I went 6/5 and even though .5" doesn't seem like much, maybe it could be better for me.
So the Tacomas have the Tacolean due to the additional weight on the driver side of the vehicle.
I know that a lot of Tacoma's coils were marked different colors which distinguished which side they went on. Unsure if there's an actual reason or if it even meant anything. Logically we would assume the driver side would be longer or have a higher spring rate.

So the coil itself is pretty rigid and would take a lot of force/pressure to compress. So it's a good amount of weight on the drive side that causes the lean. I guess performance wise, it would be negligible and might notice something under high stress or super aggressive driving.

So in theory the increased preload on the driver side would offset for lean. With weight it would cause it to compress more than the passenger side, so when recovering to it's unweighted height it would decompress with more force which would also carry to speed to compensate for the weight.
But setting them at the same height would cause the lower side to decompress slower because of the additional weight.
So wouldn't that mean the the preload height is the same, but the compression and recovery springs rates are further from being the same?

Just a thought, I just find myself thinking about the most insignificant thing in great detail for no reason.
I went 6/5 and even though .5" doesn't seem like much, maybe it could be better for me.
So the Tacomas have the Tacolean due to the additional weight on the driver side of the vehicle.
I know that a lot of Tacoma's coils were marked different colors which distinguished which side they went on. Unsure if there's an actual reason or if it even meant anything. Logically we would assume the driver side would be longer or have a higher spring rate.

So the coil itself is pretty rigid and would take a lot of force/pressure to compress. So it's a good amount of weight on the drive side that causes the lean. I guess performance wise, it would be negligible and might notice something under high stress or super aggressive driving.

So in theory the increased preload on the driver side would offset for lean. With weight it would cause it to compress more than the passenger side, so when recovering to it's unweighted height it would decompress with more force which would also carry to speed to compensate for the weight.
But setting them at the same height would cause the lower side to decompress slower because of the additional weight.
So wouldn't that mean the the preload height is the same, but the compression and recovery springs rates are further from being the same?
🤯 didn’t think of it like that. but too late now, took me a good 8hrs to do the lift on the truck lol

Back