• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fire Extinguisher

Mlbdriver

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a Fire Extinguisher for my rig and was wondering what everyone is using. Thanks in advance, and if this has been discussed already my apologies.

I use a couple 2.5lb BC rated fire extinguishers (One in cabin of truck, one in bed), you can get them at any target, walmart, meijer, etc. You would be surprised how quickly you go through them when you actually have a fire scenario

Ive had a fire in my engine bay before and its not so fun to cleanup afterwards either...

I have a 2.5 lbs mounted to my rack system. I just drilled holes to install the mount.

29537B16-1B4C-4428-8DFD-2D9BCACE882D.jpeg2684B3DF-738A-408D-B415-0D1C95ED677F.jpeg
I also carry a small 1lb in the cup holder of the drivers’ side. Like New Holland said, fires can get pretty hairy fast. 1BCF741C-C010-44AF-ADE7-C256627F28DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I have an ABC one at the base of my passenger seat. I’ve looked at those element ones as well but I’d personally rather have a full on extinguisher I think. I may or may not get a second one as a safety measure. Vehicle fires can go quick

E65290D2-36E9-4A12-9999-DCE3F5DC72E6.jpeg

I recommend something a little more secure such as a "drake Mount"

*Ive had my truck on fire before (small engine bay fire from a bad electrical sheeth laying on the exhaust). You really do want 2 fire extinguishers if you want to be serious about it. I carry one in the bed of the truck and one in the interior...fires are scary when they are actually happening!

I date back to the bad old days of chlorobromomethane. I've used dry powder, dry chemical, CO2 and various halon agents. I carry an ABC dry powder. A 20 pounder to be precise. Yep, it's huge. It also has enough agent to be useful.

I did stick one of the Elements in the cab of my truck just because it seemed like something new that "might" have a place. We'll see if and when I ever have an opportunity to use it.

I used a lot of fire extinguishers when I was a fire fighter. The smaller vehicle sized one do not last very long. That’s what intrigues me about the Element ones, is that they last almost an entire minute and appear as easy to use as a road flare.

Back