• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

ECGS bushing (needle bearing replacement)

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
After hundreds of Toyota's, we have yet to come across one that actually needs this.
Really? With my new coils installed and around 3”+ lift in the front, I thought for sure now would be the time. It does feel like that vibration is noticeable so I figured the damage is happening and soon enough I’ll have no choice anyway.

You don’t think so?

Upvote 0
Haha hardly a placebo effect. Some trucks get away with lifting and not getting the vibrations or rumble strip feeling at certain speeds, but others need it shortly after the lift.
@Tyler the hardest part is removing the CV axle itself. Using their tool for removal is highly recommended. I bought a bearing driver kit from harbor freight to install the new bushing. You've got some time on that factory needle bearing the way it is but it should be replaced. Generally that's why it's replaced while doing the lift install because most everything is accessible. Have you tried the quick test to see if the bushing needs replacement? Get up to speed usually around 30-40mph on a paved road, feel the vibes then switch it in to 4wd high. DON'T TURN keep it straight. If the vibes go away this is a very strong indication that your needle bearing needs replaced.

Upvote 0
Their puller tool worked well for me. The install tool is just a set of bearing race drivers. It's definitely not a placebo effect. Maybe if you put giant stickers down the side of your truck you wont notice it anymore?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely not placebo and Toyota itself has acknowledged needle bearing failure in TSBs, although I would say that most of the ECGS bushings are installed in a preventive fashion and not out of necessity.

The needle bearing in my '16 failed immediately after installing a lift and I let it go for 26,000 miles and it destroyed the CV shaft. The one in my '06 never failed and the one in my '18 is going strong with no issues. I've got significantly more ride height now than before, and had 3x as many miles on the '06, so there's really no rhyme or reason to it. But if yours fails, you know it. The vibrations between 25-45 MPH are unmistakable and, in my '16 anyways, were not subtle.

Upvote 0
I bought the bearing before I did my lift and have yet to install. No vibration issues as of yet. If they show up at some point I'll install, but for now I've got a small paperweight.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a good service tech in the Inland Empire area that does the ECGS install? I lifted my truck and immediately had the rumble vibration that everyone has talked about.

Upvote 0
I just had the ECGS bushing installed in my 2016 yesterday. So far, it has resolved all the vibration issues. I had mine done at TE Motorsports in Escondido. They did a great job. If anyone is in the San Diego County area and is looking for a service center that will do this, check them out. Talk to Troy.

Upvote 0
I had a clear vibration and shudder at 40km/h. After the install I now only have a slight shudder slowing down around that same speed. I’m looking at the rear drive shaft or pinion angle now. Some luck out some don’t

Upvote 0
I had a clear vibration and shudder at 40km/h. After the install I now only have a slight shudder slowing down around that same speed. I’m looking at the rear drive shaft or pinion angle now. Some luck out some don’t
It sounds odd that it kinda fixed it but you still have a sound/vibration. That means before you did this, you were hearing and feeling two different sources of a problem. Or, the needle bearing was never the problem, and you still have the problem all the same coming from somewhere else. It is unfortunate when a fix doesn't go as planned though.

Upvote 0
Definitely two different problems, fixed vibration but not there is a shudder only slowing down. Thing it may be a pinion angle, almost like the drive shaft is out of phase. Just very strange it is specifically at 40km/h

Upvote 0
Definitely two different problems, fixed vibration but not there is a shudder only slowing down. Thing it may be a pinion angle, almost like the drive shaft is out of phase. Just very strange it is specifically at 40km/h
I bent my driveshaft while wheeling. It gave me a crazy rumble at exactly 25-55mph. Slower or slightly faster there was almost nothing. I guess if your driveshaft geomerty is thrown off it can have an effect like this at a very specific speed. So I think you are on the right track with diagnosing it.

Upvote 0
Never been wheeled yet, showed up the day I lifted it. Went with 2” blocks until I see the leaf pack come on sale again. Wondering if I should get shims

Upvote 0
Just had a new front dif installed under warranty for the needle bearing vibration. The service manager knew exactly what I described when I took it in. Thought they might not do it because of my lift but didn't have many problems.

Upvote 0
Just had a new front dif installed under warranty for the needle bearing vibration. The service manager knew exactly what I described when I took it in. Thought they might not do it because of my lift but didn't have many problems.
You had to get a whole new diff because of it?

Upvote 0
My stock OR has play on driver's side axle going into trans and none on passenger side. Not sure yet if it'll be an issue after lift.

Upvote 0
If you pull on the axle you can feel it move?
If I grab it at the side that goes directly into the trans, I can move it vertically and horizontally. This is only on driver's side, passenger side has tighter clearance and no play. No weird sounds when I drive though.

Upvote 0
Just took mine in to Toyota today, right after lift vibrations started, tons of play in the CV axle. Assumed needle bearing because all signs pointed to it. Apparently I’m getting a whole new front dif under the TSB. Not sure if this is going to solve the problem or if it will just start again. Anyone else get this done?

Upvote 0
Just took mine in to Toyota today, right after lift vibrations started, tons of play in the CV axle. Assumed needle bearing because all signs pointed to it. Apparently I’m getting a whole new front dif under the TSB. Not sure if this is going to solve the problem or if it will just start again. Anyone else get this done?

It's very possible it'll just come right back. You should plan for the eventuality.

Upvote 0
I wonder if Toyota rebuilds these differentials and sends them back out or just scraps them? Seems like such a waste for a bearing replacment. I understand it must cut their shop hours down since rebuilding the diff would take much longer than just replacing it. Too bad they dont stock ECGS parts :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Back