• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dual battery setup with ML-ACR

Iva

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Manual
Silver Sky
Hey,
Planing to do dual battery setup using ML-ACR and interesting if somebody running it with two different type of batteries. I have regular starting battery And want to use optima yellow top as a second battery.
any info if it works?
Aslo if somebody have a red top optima and yellow top optima dual battery system?

I don't think it's recommended to have two different types of batteries using a ML-ACR. I'm sure it works, but having the two batteries of the same specifications, and even age, is ideal. In my dual battery set up, I still have the factor start battery and use a REDARC DC-DC Charger to charge an Odyssey Group 35 battery. The set up I'm using comes from Off-Grid Engineering. They have lately been providing very informational posts on their Instagram between the two systems.

I too am using the REDARC DC-DC charger to charge the secondary battery. I also have the Off-Grid Engineering dual battery setup. I have 2 Odyssey Group 35 batteries running my whole setup and have not had a single problem with it. I have the ML-ACR in the system to separate the two batteries so when I am camping, I can isolate the batteries and run all of my accessories off of the secondary battery and not have to worry about killing my starter battery, but if for some weird reason my starter battery is dead, I can connect the two so I can still start my rig. I have had no issues with the stock alternator keeping the starter battery topped off, even though everything I have read says that it isnt enough. When I installed everything, I used circuit breakers instead of fuses due to the ability to just reset them if they pop. I have them everywhere so in case there is a short in a wire, it wont effect either one of the batteries. I have ALOT of stuff running off of my secondary battery for camping besides all of the auxiliary lighting like 2 'power stations' in the bed of the truck that have USB outlets for charging iPhone and bluetooth speaker, a couple of 12v outlets because my RTT has USB ports in it with a LED light strip, and I have a Dometic fridge.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I had to figure all of this stuff out for a dual battery system myself because there just wasnt enough information when I did it and everyone had their own theories and reasons they did what they did. I bought alot of stuff and ended up replacing it with something else because it didnt do what I thought or was told. It was a process, but I will try to help you out if you have any questions.

Interesting Info....
I decide to run optima redhead as a main battery and optima yellow as a secondary battery and put ML-ACR 6722 between this batteries. As i understand that setup should work for me to run 60w fridge and led lights on my secondary battery...
hope it will work good

I too am using the REDARC DC-DC charger to charge the secondary battery. I also have the Off-Grid Engineering dual battery setup. I have 2 Odyssey Group 35 batteries running my whole setup and have not had a single problem with it. I have the ML-ACR in the system to separate the two batteries so when I am camping, I can isolate the batteries and run all of my accessories off of the secondary battery and not have to worry about killing my starter battery, but if for some weird reason my starter battery is dead, I can connect the two so I can still start my rig. I have had no issues with the stock alternator keeping the starter battery topped off, even though everything I have read says that it isnt enough. When I installed everything, I used circuit breakers instead of fuses due to the ability to just reset them if they pop. I have them everywhere so in case there is a short in a wire, it wont effect either one of the batteries. I have ALOT of stuff running off of my secondary battery for camping besides all of the auxiliary lighting like 2 'power stations' in the bed of the truck that have USB outlets for charging iPhone and bluetooth speaker, a couple of 12v outlets because my RTT has USB ports in it with a LED light strip, and I have a Dometic fridge.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I had to figure all of this stuff out for a dual battery system myself because there just wasnt enough information when I did it and everyone had their own theories and reasons they did what they did. I bought alot of stuff and ended up replacing it with something else because it didnt do what I thought or was told. It was a process, but I will try to help you out if you have any questions.

This is an interesting set-up. I thought it was not necessary to have both since the REDARC only charges the secondary battery when the car is running. It doesn't drain your primary start battery to keep the secondary battery charged when the car is off. I guess you can run both, but isn't it a little overkill? Buttttt..... then again, it does seem like you have a pretty big load on the secondary battery. I don't have near as much - for now, all I have are my aux lighting.

By the way, the OGE guys are great to chat with. They are really helpful through email to help determine which set up you need. They ended up updating the description of the REDARC system they offer because of my questions as the descriptions were clear enough. haha. They also updated some FAQs to address my question as I'm sure many people had or will have the same question.

When you read it, it seems like overkill, but when you actually look at it, then it all makes sense. We go camping a lot on my buddys property and we are always running either Sirius Satellite Radio or an iPod, so something is always plugged in. I have voltmeters on the power stations so I can monitor the battery level in case I need to start the truck to charge the battery. The circuit breakers are obviously on the positive sides of the battery terminals in and out, in case of a wire shorting out to protect the batteries and prevent some crazy fire or something.

do you have switch pro, and what aux battery did you use-- i am also thinking about redarc bcdc1250 with offgrid engineering dual battery set up
.i also would like to have a blue sea ml acr relay to separate them- any wiring diagram for your set up . or photo . thanks

Do you have that relay connected directly or through the Redarc? I wouldn't think the RedArc would drain the starter battery when the engine is off.

do you have switch pro, and what aux battery did you use-- i am also thinking about redarc bcdc1250 with offgrid engineering dual battery set up
.i also would like to have a blue sea ml acr relay to separate them- any wiring diagram for your set up . or photo . thanks
If I have time this coming week, I will try to get some pictures taken. I have so much stuff to do on my vacation that its not going to be a vacation.

Do you have that relay connected directly or through the Redarc? I wouldn't think the RedArc would drain the starter battery when the engine is off.
Im not exactly sure what you are asking. The ML-ACR is what separates the batteries. I am not concerned about the Redarc draining the battery. But if for some weird reason the starter battery is dead, I have the option to connect them and start the truck anyway.
The ML-ACR is connected straight between the batteries due to the solar panel still charges the secondary battery through the ML-ACR when its sunny.
I think that might have answered your question?

Back