• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

DIY Skid Plate

J-DUB

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR AC
Silver Sky
Hey peeps,

Building skids for my rig. Got a 2nd gen digital file from a member on tacomaworld but want to cross-reference it with people who have skids on their 3rd gen.
So if anyone has a skid they don't mind measuring for me that would be awesome. I have included a shot of the measurements based on the 2nd gen file. I am adding the oil filter drop.
How big is the oil filter hole on your skids?

Also, if you have any comments or recommendations for me lets hear them. What would you do differently on your skids if you could?
FYI I have a CNC plasma and metal fabrication shop at my disposal.

Planning on using 3/16 steel with adding structural ribs. After the IFS ill do mid and trans.
I found a file for a bolt-on sliders as well, haven't started messing with it yet.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.57.03 PM.png

You could also try calling a couple of manufacturers like CBI, RCI, etc. and see if they have measurements on hand that they might provide you.

How much $ do you think you’ll save by making your own?

RCI sells their skid plates based off of 2005-current tacomas. I know because I just ordered the trans and T case skids. That tells me they should be the same.

You could also try calling a couple of manufacturers like CBI, RCI, etc. and see if they have measurements on hand that they might provide you.

How much $ do you think you’ll save by making your own?

Don’t know the exact savings yet, I only really need to pay for the plate the rest I have in my shop already. So for under 200 bucks I can get all the metal I need for all three skids.
It’s also a matter of pride as I am a fabricator and artist who enjoys this shit big time lol.

After I do all the work fitting my CAD design to the truck I’m hoping to make a little on the side if people want them cut. Yea never know!

Last edited:
Worst case just buy one, take your measurements, then return it

Did some measuring yesterday, looks like the mounting location in the file will work. At least upon the first inspection. I have decided to make a prototype from a thin sheet first, mostly because I going to redesign or change its shape after the initial fitment to have more coverage. I know its a waste of money, but easier than making it out of cardboard for me. I think I have some 12 ga floating around.

Finallly got the skid finished. It stood up to a massive beating already! Need to do some modification to the diff area and rear mounts, for some extra clearance.

If anyone is interested I am willing to cut DIY kits on my CNC plasma for people. Or sell fully fabricated versions. PM me for details. NY/NJ area.

BCE48244-0E04-4F1C-B7A1-AE769D8DCCBF.jpeg

615774FA-1D11-49AE-844E-07F0CAE980F9.jpeg
83F3A2E8-25CA-45C4-8DD8-0A039A693BC5.jpeg
D2761C24-B21F-4610-8626-CE4F639553BC.jpeg
34009176-7C5B-43BC-AC1B-86CE4536319F.jpeg

Here is a link to a dwg version of the file for anyone that wants to use it, I only ask that if you do, please leave some feedback to help with the open source nature of the content.
If anyone wants a dxf or other formats let me know and I’ll email ya a version.

Yeah right, if I owned a company that manufactured a product and someone called me and asked for measurements... sure I'd gladly give it to them.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, if they wanted approximate sure I would give it to them but if they wanted measurements to manufacture it themselves🖕

Ok

That oil filter access hole is excellent. Do any of the pro made versions have that? Because now having seen it, it seems like a no brainer.

Finallly got the skid finished. It stood up to a massive beating already! Need to do some modification to the diff area and rear mounts, for some extra clearance.

If anyone is interested I am willing to cut DIY kits on my CNC plasma for people. Or sell fully fabricated versions. PM me for details. NY/NJ area.

BCE48244-0E04-4F1C-B7A1-AE769D8DCCBF.jpeg

615774FA-1D11-49AE-844E-07F0CAE980F9.jpeg
83F3A2E8-25CA-45C4-8DD8-0A039A693BC5.jpeg
D2761C24-B21F-4610-8626-CE4F639553BC.jpeg
34009176-7C5B-43BC-AC1B-86CE4536319F.jpeg
This came out clean as hell. I love that you have your handle on it too. I know some people around Long Island if you want me to let them know you’re willing to make more.

This came out clean as hell. I love that you have your handle on it too. I know some people around Long Island if you want me to let them know you’re willing to make more.
Definitely dude! I'm not far from long island. I would prefer to sell DIY kits with everything needed to weld and all parts cut but I am also willing to fabricate. For the price of a commercial version its almost not worth my time. What I think I can really offer is totally custom logos and any other accutremon that people want.
Working on the rest of the skid designs and sliders to come...
That oil filter access hole is excellent. Do any of the pro made versions have that? Because now having seen it, it seems like a no brainer.
I believe some do.

Definitely dude! I'm not far from long island. I would prefer to sell DIY kits with everything needed to weld and all parts cut but I am also willing to fabricate. For the price of a commercial version its almost not worth my time. What I think I can really offer is totally custom logos and any other accutremon that people want.
Working on the rest of the skid designs and sliders to come...

I believe some do.
Awesome. I’ll pass that message.

UPDATE
After putting this thing through the ringer, I decided to change it up a little. I made the rear mounts shorter and cut out a diff bump out. I did this for a couple reasons.
1) I did not like the slope of the skid plate. With 2.5 and 1.25 offsets for the risers you clear the diff well but end up with 9.75” of ground clearance in the front and 8.3” of clearance in the back. I was not a fan of the skid sloping.
2) increased clearance, while yes the bump out will be lower, I decided I’d rather have more clearance in more area with one small drop than the whole skid be 1.5 inches lower all around.

I think the thing to do would be to increase the front riser heigh to match the angle and make the whole skid level, but then you would have less clearance all around. Or cut out a drop under the diff, which is what I decided on.

New Standoff measurement: front 2.5 rear .5. Now I have 9.75 of clearance in the front and 9.25 in the back of the skid, much better than before.

I will update the CAD file when I get achance with the trap door cut out. Also had to cut the bent up sides slightlyunder the LCA to fit.
AB392BA4-6F02-45D8-BE42-53B13014A91B.jpeg

I'm looking to make my own as well, what are these dimensions? Also, what are the bend angles?

Attachments

• Logopit_1607045920513.jpg
    Logopit_1607045920513.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 295
I'm looking to make my own as well, what are these dimensions? Also, what are the bend angles?
Yo Adam,

check out this link to the build page on TW, easier than me repeating everything here. It has a downloadable .dwg file on page 24.

If you don't have a way to open and check measurements, I can take some and pass them along.
Im going to export a PDF version and post it here.

Back