Crawl control

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member
What are your honest opinions on crawl control. I think a lot of people see it and think it’s fantastic which I too believe it is if you are buried to the axels and nobody can help pull you out. But I also believe it’s one of the biggest gimmicks available. If you truly need crawl control do you think it will help you improve your off-roading ability? I call it training wheels for our trucks. With my sport I’ve never wished I had it. Good spotters that put you on a good line with good throttle discipline can get you along way.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
What are your honest opinions on crawl control. I think a lot of people see it and think it’s fantastic which I too believe it is if you are buried to the axels and nobody can help pull you out. But I also believe it’s one of the biggest gimmicks available. If you truly need crawl control do you think it will help you improve your off-roading ability? I call it training wheels for our trucks. With my sport I’ve never wished I had it. Good spotters that put you on a good line with good throttle discipline can get you along way.
I agree mostly. I would never want to use it if I weren't already stuck. There's no fun in that at all. But I have tested it by getting myself stuck in deep thick mud in 2wd and the second time around it actually got me out. The first time it didn't. I think if you do find yourself in the stuck in mud/sand situation, it could actually get you out compared to someone that doesn't have that option.

If anything I think it should be less of a gimmick/big deal from advertising. Maybe just a small button near the wireless charging button and not boasted about. I think it's "overrated" because we make it overrated. But it can hold its weight.

Jay

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it? A lot of people bash it but if I were out alone, itd give me a little more peace of mind. Not forgetting other important recovery gear. My .02
See one rule I’ve learned is to never go out alone.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member

Dank24

= II • Bronze
T3G O.G.
First Name
Dan
T3G Member
I’ve only used to to make sure it worked correctly. When I am out on trails I have not used it once. Even on really really steap inclines and declines.

I plan on using it on the beach in a month, if I get stuck. If you think it’s a gimmick should have bought an entry level taco

Malcolm

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
Military
Navy
T3G Member

Honestly think I’d have to disagree. It’s amazing for solo off-roaders. Not only that but it will be able to govern speed/slip/power distribution better than you or anyone else could perform. That being said you shouldn’t just use it when approaching a line. It’s meant to get you out of harsh situations that other efforts failed to relieve you from.

99% of the time I’m alone when I go out and have gotten myself buried. Haven’t used crawl control to get myself out. It it’s nice knowing I have the option.

Trail_limo_pro

= IV • Gold
T3G O.G.
First Name
Brian Sultzer
T3G Member
Used it a couple of times for fun. Haven’t gotten stuck yet. Tuesday I was trying to figure out all my personal settings with it and it seemed on the 2 slowest settings it just bucks ( to much braking is applied on and off) on the third speed it smooths out. I was hoping that on the slowest speed it could be used as a super low range crawl. I let 4 low walk itself threw sugar sand till I hit a hill, at idle not enough power to crawl the hill, hit crawl and she just walked right up. It’s cruise control for off roading lol. I think it’s best used as a get unstuck in solo situations rather than say a lower range/marling taco box crawl setup

Tom

= II • Bronze
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
I've used it twice to get unstuck from some deep, muddy snow. In both cases I had my doubts but decided to try it anyway before exiting the truck to get the recovery gear. In both cases, I was surprised that it lifted the truck right out. I think the wheel stuttering motion as the brakes modulate the wheel is helpful for finding grip in certain conditions.

Now that I'm more familiar with it, I'll be considering it more frequently for other situations like descending steep, slippery inclines. The four-wheel independent brake modulation is great for keeping the truck pointed where you want.

Frankly, I don't understand the people who are quick to write it off as a gimmick. Modulating the throttle and then braking all four wheels independently is a very cool ability, and it works well in many situations.

SDyota_66

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Navy (Vet.)
T3G Member
So, as always, late to the conversation, but what about MTS? I was thinking of using it on Cleghorn this weekend. It has a Mogul setting that seems perfect for the off-shoots.

hellppy

= VI • Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Sean
T3G Member
It's excellent for going down very steep inclines too. I'm talking the steep ones that you would literally slide all the way down otherwise. It's actually a very nice tool to have. I've used it a couple times and I gotta say, the sound is horrifying with the ABS sensors firing away, but it's a brilliant invention/addition in my opinion.

0uTkAsT

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
First Name
Josh
T3G Member
It's excellent for going down very steep inclines too. I'm talking the steep ones that you would literally slide all the way down otherwise.
This is the only time I think I'd ever use it. Some of those butt-clenching declines are sketchy as fuck and it's even worse in an MT.

hellppy

= VI • Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Sean
T3G Member
This is the only time I think I'd ever use it. Some of those butt-clenching declines are sketchy as fuck and it's even worse in an MT.
Agreed. I can't imagine any other time I would have to engage crawl control, but goddamn it works really well on the butt-clenching declines. It's quite impressive!

SDyota_66

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Navy (Vet.)
T3G Member
Agreed. I can't imagine any other time I would have to engage crawl control, but goddamn it works really well on the butt-clenching declines. It's quite impressive!
I watched a video of people going down the devils staircase in Sedona using it. Lot's of noise like you said, but handled the down hill shelving like a champ.

hellppy

= VI • Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Sean
T3G Member
I watched a video of people going down the devils staircase in Sedona using it. Lot's of noise like you said, but handled the down hill shelving like a champ.
Oh really? We went down the Devil's Staircase without crawl control. It's really not that bad, certainly not crawl control worthy, in my opinion. Here'a a few pictures of us on the trail.

heading down.
1530911031937.png

JTS2016TACO and ShankedT4R on their way.
1530911090769.png

Me at the top.
1530911253219.png

951_yota

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Travis
Military
Air Force (Vet.)
T3G Member

I tested mine on a steap cleghorn hill and it worked flawlessy. Loved it. So now i know its just another tool in the bag for me.

SDyota_66

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Navy (Vet.)
T3G Member
Oh really? We went down the Devil's Staircase without crawl control. It's really not that bad, certainly not crawl control worthy, in my opinion. Here'a a few pictures of us on the trail.

heading down.
1530911031937.png

JTS2016TACO and ShankedT4R on their way.
1530911090769.png

Me at the top.
1530911253219.png
Nice. I'll be there first of Sept. Looking forward to some good driving and seeing the sites.

Top Bottom