• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Couldn't Stand Toyota Entune

TheNotty84

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
After having bought the truck just about 2 months ago, I could not get over how horrible the Toyota Entune system is and how bad the stock speakers and audio controls are. I am kind pretty particular when it comes to my music and I really needed something better, so I finally got all the pieces and installed this weekend. Here is my new setup!!

Pioneer SVH-W4400NEX head unit
ALPINE X-S69C; front doors
ALPINE S-S65; rear doors
ALPINE PDX-V9; amplifier
JL AUDIO STEALTHBOX

0728181259a_HDR.jpg

0728181258.jpg

The stealthbox fits perfectly without having to remove or modify anything and sounds awesome; and with Android Auto in the head unit, I get navigation and control of my Pandora and phone calls easily. Functionality is way better than Entunes and sound quality is 1000x better!

After having bought the truck just about 2 months ago, I could not get over how horrible the Toyota Entune system is and how bad the stock speakers and audio controls are. I am kind pretty particular when it comes to my music and I really needed something better, so I finally got all the pieces and installed this weekend. Here is my new setup!!

Pioneer SVH-W4400NEX head unit
ALPINE X-S69C; front doors
ALPINE S-S65; rear doors
ALPINE PDX-V9; amplifier
JL AUDIO STEALTHBOX

0728181259a_HDR.jpg

0728181258.jpg

The stealthbox fits perfectly without having to remove or modify anything and sounds awesome; and with Android Auto in the head unit, I get navigation and control of my Pandora and phone calls easily. Functionality is way better than Entunes and sound quality is 1000x better!
You mind if I ask how much the speaker set up cost? I have Def been considering upgrading the sound system as I to love my music and the stock set up clearly isn’t up to my liking. But I am Also not familiar with speakers and all that.

The entire system was about $2,000.00. I went to a great local car audio place that has done a previous set up in my car and this is basically how it broke down:

Pioneer head unit: $450
Alpine Amp: $430
JL stealth box: $500
6x9 and x1.5": $300
the rest was dash kit, steering wheel controls, wires, taxes, install

Looks great, does that head unit have apple are play?

Yes. It has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. It has the capability to connect wirelessly, but I have an LG phone. Apparently the only Android phone that supports Android wireless is the Google Pixl... which kind of sucks, but connecting the phone with a chord to get the Android Auto to work is not that big of a hassle.

I’m also running the stealthbox, but was wondering if your experiencing a little bit of rattle from the plastic backing like mine when you let the bass hit. The rattle noise isn’t noticeable inside the cabin, but I could hear it outside the truck.

I’m also running the stealthbox, but was wondering if your experiencing a little bit of rattle from the plastic backing like mine when you let the bass hit. The rattle noise isn’t noticeable inside the cabin, but I could hear it outside the truck.

Its not too bad, but when I turn it up really loud and it hits hard, there is a little bit of rattle. The overall sound is louder than the rattle, so it doesnt bother me too much, but I am going to try and isolate it and see what I can do to eliminate it.

I only get it inside the cab too, though. When i go outside the cab with all doors and windows closed, I dont hear the rattle at all.

The entire system was about $2,000.00. I went to a great local car audio place that has done a previous set up in my car and this is basically how it broke down:

Pioneer head unit: $450
Alpine Amp: $430
JL stealth box: $500
6x9 and x1.5": $300
the rest was dash kit, steering wheel controls, wires, taxes, install

What dash kit and steering wheel harness did you get?

Entune is as useless as can be, but my stock sound quality is pretty decent to me. I’m woondering what something like this would sound like compared to what I’m used to which is already pretty good. And can a system like this run with the stock head unit?

Although I hate the Entune, I do like the sound of the jbl speakers that came in the truck. I would LOVE a new head unit, sub & amp though :sneaky:

Entune is trash ! Does Pioneer head unit works with the backup camera ? If so I definitely going to be upgrading it...

Posted this in another forum but thought it was appropriate here too (sorry for double posting): I got a kit from Beatsonic that mirrors my iPhone and works flawlessly. Was debating an Apple car play head unit but with their upgrade kit I can stream movies, Netflix, espn, and use any maps or app I want on there. I just can’t use “touchscreen”. Huge fan of it: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if02aep2.html

Entune is trash ! Does Pioneer head unit works with the backup camera ? If so I definitely going to be upgrading it...

Did you find out if the Pioneer works with the backup camera?

Wondering if this is a harness plug n play. I like the idea of a better GPS map than the scout garbage on the stock head unit.

Back