• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Complete Engine Failure

TheNotty84

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So, Friday, I was just driving to pick my wife is from work and my truck literally crapped out on me... Just died in the middle of the road while driving 35mph. It stuttered real bad and then just died.
The HUD display came up all red and said Transmission oil temperature high! I had to tow the truck to the dealership because it wouldn't even start back up.
Yesterday afternoon and the dealership called me after initially looking at the truck and told me those three harrowing words, "complete engine failure".
The service writer, as well as myself, was baffled and flabbergasted to see this, as this truck is literally 2 months old with only 3500 miles on it.
Well, because of the holiday weekend, they are getting someone to come out on Tuesday to inspect the cause of the problem. I'm just hoping that I don't have to get a whole new truck because I've already done a lot to this one and there's a few things I can't just transfer over to new one.

Anyways... That's how I'm spending my Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone else is having a better one than me.

I'll keep you posted on the findings.

P.S.: have an extra drink for me and pray for the best. *Fingers crossed*

Wow. Keep the updates coming. Really curious to know what fully happened.

Good luck man.

Upvote 0
Well that is shit. Theyd replace the motor under warranty. Why would you need to get a new truck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy shIt bro. They should replace the entire thing since it’s still under initial warranty and the engine is covered under that. Keep us updated man!

Upvote 0
Just got out of the dealer. The technician found water in the engine. Toyota corporate came down to look at it personally and wants to investigate the cause. From what the service writer said, they seemed very invested in this case to make sure it isn't something that will be turned into a full blown recall.
That being said, They are totally replacing my engine. It is currently being built with all new parts. Looks like turn around time will be around 3 weeks. They are requesting that I get a rental from Enterprise for a comparable vehicle. So hopefully I'm not in this Corolla for much longer

Upvote 0
Curious how water got in the motor. Any ideas?

Glad they are replacing the motor. Keep us updated. Definitely an interesting case.

Upvote 0
Curious how water got in the motor. Any ideas?

Glad they are replacing the motor. Keep us updated. Definitely an interesting case.

I will find out when, and if, they tell me after they investigate. They haven't even pulled my engine yet. Still waiting for the new one to be built. I'll definitely post an update with what I get told in a few weeks when all is said and done

Upvote 0
I will find out when, and if, they tell me after they investigate. They haven't even pulled my engine yet. Still waiting for the new one to be built. I'll definitely post an update with what I get told in a few weeks when all is said and done
I'd make sure you get paperwork saying that's covered. Still investigated could mean theyd have an opportunity to deny the warranty claim esp if the motor is hydro locked

Upvote 0
Dang, wtf? At least they are replacing the engine and not the whole truck since that was what you wanted. What an inconnvience though.

If it were me though, knowing my brand new truck has had an engine swap would drive me insane. Oh wait, the whole passenger side of my truck had already been replaced due to an accident. Guess the engine wouldn’t hurt at this point.

Upvote 0
OK guys. I just picked up my truck yesterday and here is the story how it was written out on my service invoice:

"Upon initial inspection of vehicle, found several DTCS stored: p030000, p030027, p030085, p030100, p030300, p030500, p16030, p160400, p160500. When driving the vehicle into the shop, noticed vehicle shaking and misfires and almost stalling. Proceeded to swap misfiring coils with other cylinders that area not misfiring at this time. After marking and swapping coils, found that there was still misfiring on the same cylinders 1,3,5. Proceeded to pull the spark plugs starting with cylinder 1 and found the spark[plug prong was caved in. Using a bore scope, found signs of the valve hitting the piston. proceeded to open the tas case. After receiving the new engine for the vehicle, proceeded to remove the old engine and found what appeared to be metal debris in the intake manifold and right hand exhaust manifold. Ordered both parts and proceeded to swap the engines. Tested the vehicle with the new engine swapped in for 30 miles at freeway and street speeds and at this time there is no issue with the vehicle."

TL;DR: So a misfire caused a valve to hit the piston in my no.1 cylinder, sending metal debris into my intake and exhaust manifolds. Got a new engine, intake and exhaust manifold.

So, after a month of not having my truck, I finally get to drive it again and I couldn't be happier!! I missed it so much. Hopefully, this is the only issue I will have. This whole experience was so bizarre for me because I have NEVER experienced anything like this in any new or used vehicle I have ever owned.

I was assured by the Service Manager that this engine swap will not, by any means, affect the resale value of my truck because all of the work was performed by certified Toyota technicians (because that was one of my concerns).

Upvote 0
Yikes! Thats one of the reasons I ended up with my taco. My previous (Subaru) ride had, wait for it, two engine replacements. Finally won a lemon law case. Either way, much happier now - but it was a major pain for a year. Keep your records!

Upvote 0
Damn. That is crazy. I had my whole airbag unit replaced few weeks ago because of the SRS light popping up

Upvote 0
Makes the transfer case issues I had with my '16 seem insignificant. Glad you got your truck back and I hope it's solid from here on out for you.

Upvote 0
TL;DR: So a misfire caused a valve to hit the piston in my no.1 cylinder, sending metal debris into my intake and exhaust manifolds. Got a new engine, intake and exhaust manifold.

Can't even fathom how a misfire could cause this. So weird and pretty damn scary. :eek:

Upvote 0
wow thats actually kind of crazy. im glad you got everything back, and hey! new engine with 0 miles! :):love:

Upvote 0
I hope this is the last problem you have with your truck. I'm at a loss as to how a misfire can cause a valve(s) to hit the piston.

Upvote 0
The valves hitting the pistons caused the misfire. Something with the VVT or VVD failed causing the valve to remain open as the piston came up to TDC. There are many variables which could have caused this to happen

Upvote 0
That's what I thought, but it read as the misfire caused the valve to hit the piston. I'll bet some sensor or sensors on the cam or cams didn't do their jobs and caused all the fun.

Upvote 0
Im just as baffled as all of you. I've n ever had this happen to any vehicle I have ever driven. But I just rolled 8000 miles (about 3600 on the new engine) and so far so good. No issues at all!

Upvote 0
So, Friday, I was just driving to pick my wife is from work and my truck literally crapped out on me... Just died in the middle of the road while driving 35mph. It stuttered real bad and then just died.
The HUD display came up all red and said Transmission oil temperature high! I had to tow the truck to the dealership because it wouldn't even start back up.
Yesterday afternoon and the dealership called me after initially looking at the truck and told me those three harrowing words, "complete engine failure".
The service writer, as well as myself, was baffled and flabbergasted to see this, as this truck is literally 2 months old with only 3500 miles on it.
Well, because of the holiday weekend, they are getting someone to come out on Tuesday to inspect the cause of the problem. I'm just hoping that I don't have to get a whole new truck because I've already done a lot to this one and there's a few things I can't just transfer over to new one.

Anyways... That's how I'm spending my Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone else is having a better one than me.

I can relate to what just happened to you. My 2021 Toyota 4x4 v6. Just had the same diagnosis. I was driving to work and press on the gas when I just heard a noise from the engine. I had heard it before. Didn’t think much of. But press more gas and then the truck just went from 30 mph to none. I heard a lot of knocking coming out of the engine and that was that. The diagnosis complete engine failure. Only had or has 18,000 miles. Hard to believe and except.

Upvote 0
Im not familiar how these engines exactly work however, its hard for me to understand how a misfire made a valve come in contact with the piston unless it broke something in the valve train. In that case, that had to have been a hell of a misfire. Glad they took care of you though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Same problem, the times i had engine failure. Hired a lemon law attorney and Toyota bought her back 🤬

Upvote 0
It seems to me that because it's an Atkins motor there maybe different motions goin on that would allow the piston to come in contact with the valve. Sensor problem I suppose but how? It should be all mechanical...right?

Upvote 0

P.S.: have an extra drink for me and pray for the best. Fingers crossed
does anyone sound/video of this failure - how does it compare to this tapping noise - mine is at dealer now (2023) with 4000 miles into engine teardown.
Source: https://youtu.be/UAGayBoR8IM?feature=shared

Upvote 0
Back