• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Cold Air Intakes, to be, or not to be...

Smitty

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I've been debating, more than I should be probably.... Do I want a cold air intake?

Is it really worth putting one in a 3rd gen Tacoma? I'm pretty stock rn, stock height, tires, I just ordered a Carven exhaust :) What are pros and cons of getting an intake?

Also, if I do pull the trigger I need recommendations lol where do y'all get yours?

Yes, but not for power. More for ease of cleaning and the option to run a front intake tube from AFE. I like the Pro Dry filters, even running in the desert I haven't seen any fine contamination in my intake tube. Can't really say that for K&N in the past.

Sounds nice too in my opinion.

Price shop once you figure out which one you want to go with. The sites that will let you submit an offer seem to do pretty decent. Those are the larger corporation stores.
They all claim 10-15 whp increase. Some show dyno results. Don't know if it's really noticeable. You'll see people say they feel is more low end. Other will say they feel more top end. They are less restrictive than the stock box.

I also feel it's more about sound. The deeper sound and the suction of air.
I just always install one on every vehicle because I always did.

I feel like they are beneficial with a tune. Even with the factory auto calibration, I think it's limited. The tune might utilized the increased air that's brought it.
But I really think it's minimal for our application. Tunes mainly shift where the power is used. Would be more "optimized" with horsepower increase goals. So it's minimal for regular builds.

I’m running an aFe intake and I’m very happy with the results. I have the dry filter and all I have to do is give it a bath. I really like the sound when you get on the throttle and despite negative comments you read on another taco forum my butt dyno says that there is a difference in how the throttle responds. First picture shows the add on front air scoop.
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg

@Captqc, with or without front air scoop? Which is better? I do a lot of trails in MT with pretty significant water crossings.

Mark

So I've been debating, more than I should be probably.... Do I want a cold air intake?

Is it really worth putting one in a 3rd gen Tacoma? I'm pretty stock rn, stock height, tires, I just ordered a Carven exhaust :) What are pros and cons of getting an intake?

Also, if I do pull the trigger I need recommendations lol where do y'all get yours?
I am in the same Boat as You, But I think there is a better cheaper way.

I was going to go with an OTT Tune and upgraded CAI and Exhaust.
One of the guys at OTT said that they measured it all on the dyno and you wouldn't see much if any increase in RWHP or Torque with either a CAI or HF Exhaust until you got into the ridiculous HP zones like 400 HP at the wheels.

But it's your truck and if it makes you feel better or you like the look and sound of the intake, go for it.

It really is. Although I don't know exactly what is being said in this context, I believe that there is room in our world for the incredible and the inexplicable. I even sometimes use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for myself. We live in a world full of mysteries and unsolved mysteries. What if, beyond our understanding, there are inexplicable phenomena and events that affect our reality, but which we are not yet aware of?
Advantages of a cold air intake:

Increased performance: Cooler air provides the engine with more oxygen, which can result in a slight increase in power and improved accelerator pedal response.

Fuel economy: Cold air contains more oxygen, which can help improve the mixture of fuel and air, which in turn can reduce fuel consumption under certain circumstances.

Sound: Installing a cool air intake can give your Tacoma a deeper and sportier sound during air intake.

Cons of a cold air intake:

Air intakes of varying quality: Some cheap air intakes may not filter the air well enough, which can damage the engine, especially if you hit muddy or dusty roads.

May void warranty: It is important to make sure that installing a cold air intake does not void your vehicle's warranty.

If you have a stock Tacoma and just ordered a Carven exhaust, then installing a cold air intake can be a good addition to improve your car's performance. However, before proceeding with the installation, it is recommended to carefully study the reviews and recommendations from other Tacoma owners with similar modifications in order to select a suitable good quality air intake.

When it comes to recommendations and purchase of a cold air intake, you can turn to automotive forums, social media groups or specialized online stores where various models and brands of air intakes for Tacoma are discussed and recommended. It is important to choose a reliable seller with positive reviews and a good reputation in order to be sure of the quality of the purchase.

Let me remind you that any modifications, including the installation of a cold air intake, must be carried out carefully and taking into account all possible consequences. When in doubt, it is best to consult an experienced professional or automotive mechanic who can provide advice based on your vehicle and individual needs.

Last edited:
Advantages of a cold air intake:

Increased performance: Cooler air provides the engine with more oxygen, which can result in a slight increase in power and improved accelerator pedal response.

Fuel economy: Cold air contains more oxygen, which can help improve the mixture of fuel and air, which in turn can reduce fuel consumption under certain circumstances.

Sound: Installing a cool air intake can give your Tacoma a deeper and sportier sound during air intake.

Cons of a cold air intake:

Air intakes of varying quality: Some cheap air intakes may not filter the air well enough, which can damage the engine, especially if you hit muddy or dusty roads.

May void warranty: It is important to make sure that installing a cold air intake does not void your vehicle's warranty.

If you have a stock Tacoma and just ordered a Carven exhaust, then installing a cold air intake can be a good addition to improve your car's performance. However, before proceeding with the installation, it is recommended to carefully study the reviews and recommendations from other Tacoma owners with similar modifications in order to select a suitable good quality air intake.

When it comes to recommendations and purchase of a cold air intake, you can turn to automotive forums, social media groups or specialized online stores where various models and brands of air intakes for Tacoma are discussed and recommended. It is important to choose a reliable seller with positive reviews and a good reputation in order to be sure of the quality of the purchase.

Let me remind you that any modifications, including the installation of a cold air intake, must be carried out carefully and taking into account all possible consequences. When in doubt, it is best to consult an experienced professional or automotive mechanic who can provide advice based on your vehicle and individual needs.
AI bots getting wild!

I am in the same Boat as You, But I think there is a better cheaper way.

Not true at all. It's just a different shape that might introduce slightly cooler air.
CAI will be less restrictive and are designed to improve the flow of air for a slight hp/tq gain.
From the shape to filter density.

You could literally cut the curve off and shove PVC in there to extend it from the engine bay to the wheel well.
$20 funnel on a stock intake isn't going to do anything.
With an aftermarket intake, it might help a little bit.

(Stock Intake = Stock Intake/Flow Accelerator) < CAI < CAI/Flow Accelerator

I just dropped a K & N flat filter in the box. Sounds great and kept the OEM intake. $99 and worth the money. Lifetime filter.

I just dropped a K & N flat filter in the box. Sounds great and kept the OEM intake. $99 and worth the money. Lifetime filter.
Just dont over oil it,
If your idle starts going up and down while parked it typical when the mass air flow sensor has been oiled.
Clean it with "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner" NOT throttle body or carb cleaner.
It may be small, but it is expensive $125 - $175 and you really want an OEM.

Love my intake. Best one on the market, IMO, Injen Evolution. IAT’s as cool as 3 degrees over ambient at 75 mph. No pairs well with my tune!

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 106
Back