• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CMC?!

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Ok everybody,

I understand what it is and why to do it. My question is to those that have done it or are looking to, did u DIY or will a shop do it?

I don’t have a welder so I can’t weld a plate back on. I’m in Arizona, will a local shop know what a Tacoma CMC is and be able to cut and weld it?

Thanks

I plan on taking mine to SDHQ and have them do it. I cannot weld and want it done right the first time.
Where at in AZ?

Upvote 0
Call around some truck shops and I'm sure they can refer you to someone.

Any welder can do it but if they're not familiar with what the procedure is done they may charge you than necessary.

Upvote 0
I plan on taking mine to SDHQ and have them do it. I cannot weld and want it done right the first time.
Where at in AZ?

Live in south Scottsdale, and yeah it doesn’t seem hard as long as you have the correct tools etc. I’ll likely call around and see, I just want to prep all I can before I bump up to 285s to save some headaches.

Upvote 0
Call around some truck shops and I'm sure they can refer you to someone.

Any welder can do it but if they're not familiar with what the procedure is done they may charge you than necessary.

Rob any reason you switched from BFg ko2 to stt Maxx , those are my two choices, which do you prefer?
285/75/16

Upvote 0
St Maxx.

I've noticed better traction than the KO2. Nothing wrong with the BFG but the hybrid tread won me over. They are slightly louder than KO2 if noise is a concern.

Rob any reason you switched from BFg ko2 to stt Maxx , those are my two choices, which do you prefer?
285/75/16

Upvote 0
The two primary shops that do them in the East Valley will be SDHQ and Avid Off-Road. Both do equally clean work, Avid is $50 cheaper but Brandon doesn't do quite as aggressive CMCs. SDHQ is able to get a bit more aggressive because their fill plates have a bend pressed into them which let's them get a better angle. I believe SDHQ is currently $250 and Avid Off Road is $200. Obviously you should call for a quote to verify.

If you want to do it yourself, numerous companies sell the fill plates for around $20. Sierra Expeditions in Mesa maybe another place to try if you want more options.

Upvote 0
The two primary shops that do them in the East Valley will be SDHQ and Avid Off-Road. Both do equally clean work, Avid is $50 cheaper but Brandon doesn't do quite as aggressive CMCs. SDHQ is able to get a bit more aggressive because their fill plates have a bend pressed into them which let's them get a better angle. I believe SDHQ is currently $250 and Avid Off Road is $200. Obviously you should call for a quote to verify.

If you want to do it yourself, numerous companies sell the fill plates for around $20. Sierra Expeditions in Mesa maybe another place to try if you want more options.

Wow thanks a ton man, you did my homework for me :). I’ll def call over there and ehh 200-250$ isn’t too bad although it’s a very simple fix, just don’t have a welder.
Will do this soon and beat the pinch weld down just to make sure.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Wow thanks a ton man, you did my homework for me :). I’ll def call over there and ehh 200-250$ isn’t too bad although it’s a very simple fix, just don’t have a welder.

Thanks
If you really wanted to be DIY about it, a Harbor Freight welder is an inexpensive and suffiecent welder for the job. You could watch some YouTube videos, practice, and then go for it when you feel ready.

Same thing with cutting.

Upvote 0

Thanks
You got it (y)

CMCs used to run $80-$100 so it was no big deal but lately they've really started to come up in cost like everything else, but they're necessary so what are you gonna do haha.
If you really wanted to be DIY about it, a Harbor Freight welder is an inexpensive and suffiecent welder for the job. You could watch some YouTube videos, practice, and then go for it when you feel ready.

Same thing with cutting.
I've been thinking about doing this. Practice time to get over the learning curve before attacking my truck is one problem, and not cutting, burning or degrading the body mount bushing with heat is another. I would be skeptical doing it myself even with some practice.

Upvote 0
Hell my 32s touch the cab mount
smiley_abused.gif

Upvote 0
I need one. 33s be rubbin

Ya I've been lucky my 285/70’s havnt hit my cab. I dont have any rubbing but will definitly need it if I bump up. I did tear out my front inner Plastic though stuffing my right front wheel when I got a little sideways on my last outing. I should of used a heat gun and pushed it in and that would of been orevented. Just hit or miss with people. I think they get removed completely with my new Pelfreybilt bumper which will hopefully eliminate that.

Upvote 0
Ya I've been lucky my 285/70’s havnt hit my cab. I dont have any rubbing but will definitly need it if I bump up. I did tear out my front inner Plastic though stuffing my right front wheel when I got a little sideways on my last outing. I should of used a heat gun and pushed it in and that would of been orevented. Just hit or miss with people. I think they get removed completely with my new Pelfreybilt bumper which will hopefully eliminate that.

Ouch lossing the plastics. My cab mount has been rubbed shinny. Only hoping my scalp doesnt end up matching

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
We need a CMC meet and bbq lol. Im down I want one too
Dude, this is an awesome idea lol. The guys that go last are gonna have half the fender cut off cause of how drunk we’ll be by then.

Upvote 0
Someone once told me, fix what Toyota didn't when I asked if I need a CMC. So pinch weld and cmc are done.

Upvote 0
Back