• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Canopy or Shell Help! Where to find best deal?

Haq_79

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
i have a 2018 trd OR 4 door short bed tacoma and i need help choosing a canopy, i want to find the best deal out there and i hope people that own one can guide me in the right direction. I live in the pacific nothwest so if you know any place where they have the best deal let me know please! Thank you!

its for the bed but i want a hard shell top, not sure what the correct name would be.

A.R.E. is a national dealer and has great products. I have their Overland shell on my DCSB and it's been excellent. If you head to their site, you can find a local dealer (or one closest to you, wherever that may be) and build your shell with accessories how you'd like. If you elect to submit it, a rep from your chosen local ARE dealer will contact you to further the buying process. Their shells are made to order and they request your truck's color code to paint match it as well

A.R.E. is a national dealer and has great products. I have their Overland shell on my DCSB and it's been excellent. If you head to their site, you can find a local dealer (or one closest to you, wherever that may be) and build your shell with accessories how you'd like. If you elect to submit it, a rep from your chosen local ARE dealer will contact you to further the buying process. Their shells are made to order and they request your truck's color code to paint match it as well

How much did you spend on yours? Looks nice from the picture.

How much did you spend on yours? Looks nice from the picture.
1850$ in total. $1450 was base price and the additional 400 was for accessories. Bed rug liner for the ceiling/sides of the shell, the sliding windows on the sides, the back of the shell where it meets the cab has a sliding window to match the rear cab window slider, and the entire window can also fold down too. My local dealer threw in the bed rail clamps for free, and installed for free too.

That being said, pricing is dependent upon location it seems. I heard of some people paying 1900$ for the base price on the same shell in other parts of the US
0510181043b.jpg
0428181125.jpg

1850$ in total. $1450 was base price and the additional 400 was for accessories. Bed rug liner for the ceiling/sides of the shell, the sliding windows on the sides, the back of the shell where it meets the cab has a sliding window to match the rear cab window slider, and the entire window can also fold down too. My local dealer threw in the bed rail clamps for free, and installed for free too.

That being said, pricing is dependent upon location it seems. I heard of some people paying 1900$ for the base price on the same shell in other parts of the US
0510181043b.jpg
0428181125.jpg

That looks great! i love that black stripe on it, looks like some kind of textured liner and it goes well with the black fender flares! thank you for all the info, i will go this weekend and get some quotes.

That looks great! i love that black stripe on it, looks like some kind of textured liner and it goes well with the black fender flares! thank you for all the info, i will go this weekend and get some quotes.
Agree about the black. Makes this one really unique looking. So much that it would be the reason I get this over anything else.

It's not just a cosmetic addition. It's a stripe of that textured bed liner material. A.R.E. says it's to help improve the strength of the shell. I talked to a guy in one of the 3GT Facebook pages who has had his RTT up on his Overland shell for quite some time and has slept in it a bunch of times with no issues he said.

Last edited:
It's not just a cosmetic addition. It's a stripe of that textured bed liner material. A.R.E. says it's to help improve the strength of the shell. I talked to a guy in one of the 3GT Facebook pages who has had his RTT up on his Overland shell for quite some time and has slept in it a bunch of times with no issues he said.

I need it more to keep my stuff dry, i live in the pnw and it rains a lot over here! i was planing of putting my roof tent over the cab not the shell but we will see.

I need it more to keep my stuff dry, i live in the pnw and it rains a lot over here! i was planing of putting my roof tent over the cab not the shell but we will see.
Over the cab is a good option too. I have my shell primarily because the dogs go in the bed. Secondary to that purpose is keeping things dry and secure from theft, especially the off road recovery gear I keep mounted in the bed. And a the space within a bed that has a shell just has so much utility anyway.

A lot of people say i should have bought a 4runner then, but i already have a 4R and you get more space with a truck bed and shell. To match that in the 4R, you'd have to fold down the rear seats and then you've lost two passenger spaces. Off topic, yes. My bad.

Back to the discussion at hand, i think you wont regret the ARE Overland shell if you decide on buying it. Do your research of course, and whatever else you need to do, but it's worth keeping it on your list of options

Over the cab is a good option too. I have my shell primarily because the dogs go in the bed. Secondary to that purpose is keeping things dry and secure from theft, especially the off road recovery gear I keep mounted in the bed. And a the space within a bed that has a shell just has so much utility anyway.

A lot of people say i should have bought a 4runner then, but i already have a 4R and you get more space with a truck bed and shell. To match that in the 4R, you'd have to fold down the rear seats and then you've lost two passenger spaces. Off topic, yes. My bad.

Back to the discussion at hand, i think you wont regret the ARE Overland shell if you decide on buying it. Do your research of course, and whatever else you need to do, but it's worth keeping it on your list of options

So i went to my parts and ARE dealer yesterday and i got the V series shell, the guy told me that the overland cost $300 more only for the the black bed liner stripe on the side and that it was not stronger than any other shell, i rather spend those $300 on another upgrade, shell will be ready in 5 weeks!

Back