• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Canopies w/RTT for DCLB - Is it possible??

YotaCampingPDX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
White
Doing research and wondering if anyone has a DCLB with a canopy and RTT on top of that canopy? Any manufacturers that make canopies strong enough to support a RTT, w/2 people and 2 dogs?

Post any pics if you have this setup and/or any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Leer : 100R (example)
snugtop :XTR (example)
Are : overland series or I believe c is the cheaper version of overland (example)
All have some great canopy that will work

We've been running a CVT tent mounted to a Prinsu rack on top of our Leer 100XR for the last year. No issues with cracking or damage yet. The 100XR supposedly has an extra layer or so of glass that adds some strength. Spoke with the Leer dealer and with all my weight I'm still way under the dynamic weight rating for the warranty. Only issue we had was the shell wanted to slide off one time. We've since drilled through the bed rail and never had an issue since.

Check out my build thread if you want more pics.

Usal-15-1.jpg

WABDR-3.jpg
Usal-5-1.jpg
Quinault-1-1.jpg

We've been running a CVT tent mounted to a Prinsu rack on top of our Leer 100XR for the last year. No issues with cracking or damage yet. The 100XR supposedly has an extra layer or so of glass that adds some strength. Spoke with the Leer dealer and with all my weight I'm still way under the dynamic weight rating for the warranty. Only issue we had was the shell wanted to slide off one time. We've since drilled through the bed rail and never had an issue since.

Usal-15-1.jpg

WABDR-3.jpg
Usal-5-1.jpg
Quinault-1-1.jpg
My man! This is exactly what I’m going for!! Been wanting a Prinsu cabrack for quite some time, was hoping to put the canopy rack on top too. Love it, thank you.

Back to work, more money for mods ?!

Usal-15-1.jpg

WABDR-3.jpg
Usal-5-1.jpg
Quinault-1-1.jpg
Before you drilled it into the bed were you just using C-clamps?

Before you drilled it into the bed were you just using C-clamps?

The 3rd gen bed isn't capable of utilizing the standard c clamps. The upper edge of the bed doesn't have enough of a lip for the clamp to grab, so they use a clamp that slides into the T clamp bed rail tie down channel. Personally I'm not a fan of that setup as it just seems tough to get secured and easy to move for and aft. Once I drilled through the top of the bed I have not had any issues though, of course you do have to commit to drilling through the bed.

The 3rd gen bed isn't capable of utilizing the standard c clamps. The upper edge of the bed doesn't have enough of a lip for the clamp to grab, so they use a clamp that slides into the T clamp bed rail tie down channel. Personally I'm not a fan of that setup as it just seems tough to get secured and easy to move for and aft. Once I drilled through the top of the bed I have not had any issues though, of course you do have to commit to drilling through the bed.

Any pics of where you drilled through the bed? If not, how do you clamp the canopy down to the bed to keep from sliding? Still looking to do this in early spring.

Any pics of where you drilled through the bed? If not, how do you clamp the canopy down to the bed to keep from sliding? Still looking to do this in early spring.

I'll get some better pics tomorrow. I don't think I have any that are specifically of the mounting. There may be something in my build thread.

I have the Leer XR and a Front Runner rack. I had the same questions you did. My plan was to add aftermarket reinforcement to the topper (canopy) after I got it but I couldn't it find anything. After a lot of research without really finding any options I decided not to worry about it. Went out to Moab with a friend's tent and had no issues.

20181009_115242.jpg
20181009_172405.jpg
20180926_141712.jpg

Realized I forgot to get back to you. My bad. :confused:

In the pictures below you can see how the shell is mounted using the rails along the bed. Mounting this way makes it difficult to get a really solid clamp onto the top of the bed. That's how we ended up with a bit of aft movement while going down extremely bumpy roads at high speeds. The fix for us was the bolt you can see rear most in the bed going up through the rail, through the top of the bed edge, and through the shell. This isn't necessarily a clamping bolt, it's just there to stop the shell from moving forward or back. Since we put this bolt on we have had no issues from the shell.

IMG_6708.JPG
IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6711.JPG

On that note , when having a canopy installed are they still useing the foam seal tape? If so I'd think if you use a 1/4 rubber stripe instead, it will seal from water better and most likely provide a better grip against the canopy to stop it from sliding ?

They do still use the sealer tape. When. We had the shell removed, and resealed the tape had been pulled back and double over by the shell sliding backward.

Back