• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Camping

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
Went camping with the new tent this weekend at Edge of the World outside of Flagstaff. I havent been camping since I was a kid, and it was really nice getting back into it. I got up to the mountains and I realized I forgot a few things. Table, chair, bug spray. You know, the essentials.

What is on everyone's list of essentials for camping? Whether it's an overnight trip or a week long expedition. Looking to get some ideas for future trips.
20180908_151444.jpg

Went camping with the new tent this weekend at Edge of the World outside of Flagstaff. I havent been camping since I was a kid, and it was really nice getting back into it. I got up to the mountains and I realized I forgot a few things. Table, chair, bug spray. You know, the essentials.

What is on everyone's list of essentials for camping? Whether it's an overnight trip or a week long expedition. Looking to get some ideas for future trips.
20180908_151444.jpg

Beer is usually the first and last thing on my list.

I bet the weather was great up there this weekend. We wanted to head North but had plans we couldn't get out of Saturday night.

I bet the weather was great up there this weekend. We wanted to head North but had plans we couldn't get out of Saturday night.
Yeah man it was perfect. About 90 in the day and woke up to 55.

Yeah man it was perfect. About 90 in the day and woke up to 55.
Wow, I'm surprised it even got up to 90! It was only about 100 at Apache Lake on Saturday. I bet it felt great in the morning though.

Our minimalist list has grown over the years. So I keep a pelican case loaded with everything. Roll it out and throw it in the bed of the truck. I think the one thing(s) I make sure is stocked is a Jet Boil, some Mountain House Meals, spork, cup, and instant coffee. Small and compact, and can have food or coffee in a couple minutes. Granted, we have all the more extravagant stuff too, but I can fit those items in a backpack and have a weekend.

Our minimalist list has grown over the years. So I keep a pelican case loaded with everything. Roll it out and throw it in the bed of the truck. I think the one thing(s) I make sure is stocked is a Jet Boil, some Mountain House Meals, spork, cup, and instant coffee. Small and compact, and can have food or coffee in a couple minutes. Granted, we have all the more extravagant stuff too, but I can fit those items in a backpack and have a weekend.
Coffee is one thing I could've used in the morning. The cold brews I got at the gas station didn't cut it. I'll have to look into the Jet Boil.

Wow, I'm surprised it even got up to 90! It was only about 100 at Apache Lake on Saturday. I bet it felt great in the morning though.
Yeah it was awesome waking up in the cold air. Waiting to go back up north

Essentials for us are a 6 person tent and kennel for our 90lb rottie (if my wife and I actually want to sleep!)

Otherwise, we take the basics, including an old Coleman stove, an aluminum roll-up table, two ARB chairs, and, when camping out of her truck, our 80qt Cabela's cooler. We'd not been tent camping in years until we bought her truck; we have our red neck toy hauler to transport our Jeep places, and have "camped" out of it for the last several years. This year we've gotten back to basics, taking a couple 'wheeling/camping trips with our dogs in the Tacoma, and have had a lot of fun. Like you, on our first trip (Big Bend back in March) we forgot quite a bit.

Edit - we also consider an air mattress as essential gear!

The wife and I have two bins. One for dry goods and cooking essentials. Which we restock after every trip. So should we decide to take a quick weekend getaway all we need to do is drop the bed rack and tent on the truck. And load up the bins.

Second bin is usually for other camp essentials. Table, chairs, lights, first aid, etc. And lastly we carry a Camco Big Red campfire. Great for fire bans, and just really simple to use overall and cook over.

Depends on how light you want to go. My camping has turned into glamping at this point with all the gear and trailer. But when I did the Rubicon a couple months ago I just had my 2 person tent, chair, camp stove and 3 layer military sleeping bag.

For your tent get yourself one of these, they are cheap and amazing:

Our group glamping... and we were so extra that we had an f-ing fire going on a projector screen as there were fire restrictions out. :LOL:

IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG

Also, I agree with others that if you do plan on going more often, it is best to have stuff in bins, divided ready to go. I used the waterproof ridgid cases from home depot and a couple gun cases for larger items. The ridgid cases connect together and are easy to fasten down and manipulate. I have them divided and labeled as tools, communications/electronics, first aid, recovery gear, kitchen, spare parts, etc. so that for day trips I just grab the first aid, recovery and tools and longer trips add other stuff. Basically depending on how far away from humans I'll be, the more I generally carry (up to a point.)

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

Also, I agree with others that if you do plan on going more often, it is best to have stuff in bins, divided ready to go. I used the waterproof ridgid cases from home depot and a couple gun cases for larger items. The ridgid cases connect together and are easy to fasten down and manipulate. I have them divided and labeled as tools, communications/electronics, first aid, recovery gear, kitchen, spare parts, etc. so that for day trips I just grab the first aid, recovery and tools and longer trips add other stuff. Basically depending on how far away from humans I'll be, the more I generally carry (up to a point.)

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG
Like this!!! Gives me some new ideas. The Plano cases I have are nice but a little too bulky for a weekend trip! Thanks!

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG
Are those Plano or Pelican gun cases? Just got a plano, but not quite as deep as I would like. (yeah, yeah, that's what she said)

Are those Plano or Pelican gun cases? Just got a plano, but not quite as deep as I would like. (yeah, yeah, that's what she said)

They are by a company called seahorse. Much cheaper than pelican and as good as the pelicans that came with my rifles. Also locking...

D953895F-7A30-456B-B3EE-E36D42F8E88E.jpeg
9B0D6D04-5AD8-4E01-8203-DA50BA8A9EC7.jpeg
57BB8BBE-6CAC-43E3-B81A-FAB760A2C258.jpeg

Depends on how light you want to go. My camping has turned into glamping at this point with all the gear and trailer. But when I did the Rubicon a couple months ago I just had my 2 person tent, chair, camp stove and 3 layer military sleeping bag.

For your tent get yourself one of these, they are cheap and amazing:

Our group glamping... and we were so extra that we had an f-ing fire going on a projector screen as there were fire restrictions out. :LOL:

IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG
Awesome thanks!! That's a killer setup for sure.

They are by a company called seahorse. Much cheaper than pelican and as good as the pelicans that came with my rifles. Also locking...

D953895F-7A30-456B-B3EE-E36D42F8E88E.jpeg
9B0D6D04-5AD8-4E01-8203-DA50BA8A9EC7.jpeg
57BB8BBE-6CAC-43E3-B81A-FAB760A2C258.jpeg
Thanks. I'll have to check them out. I recently got a plano case, but it's not quite big enough for what I need. I just don't want ginormous though.

Back