• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Camping in Joshua Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
Hello all. I'm heading out for the Cleghorn trip on the 7th. That Saturday night I'm planning on heading to Joshua Tree park to camp, then head back to Phoenix Sunday.

Does anyone have any advice on where to camp at Joshua Tree? I'm mainly looking for a good place to take some photos of the Milky Way while I'm there. Any info on reservations? Can I just drive up and camp? Should I go somewhere else in that area? Thanks in advance!

Take the 4x4 trails to camp, you won’t regret it. There’s one on the northern end and one by the southern end that are large loops.

Take the 4x4 trails to camp, you won’t regret it. There’s one on the northern end and one by the southern end that are large loops.
Do you know the names of them by chance?

When I camped in Joshua Tree I was located near the South Entrance. Right before the sign is a huge area of BLM that you can camp on for free. If I were to go back I would say trying camping closer to the North entrance as there is a lot more rock formations and things to see. The town near the north entrance also has a lot to offer.

When I camped in Joshua Tree I was located near the South Entrance. Right before the sign is a huge area of BLM that you can camp on for free. If I were to go back I would say trying camping closer to the North entrance as there is a lot more rock formations and things to see. The town near the north entrance also has a lot to offer.
Awesome thanks for the info!!

I live in 29 Palms and am in JT all the time. I hate to burst your bubble, but camping in JT has become a nightmare the past few years. For whatever reason, it has become the "it" place for hipsters to be and so it's usually a sea of humanity. If you do come, come really early because it is first come, first serve. If you are able, there is endless amounts of BLM land that surround the national park that is both free to camp and is totally isolated from man buns and acoustic guitars.

I live in 29 Palms and am in JT all the time. I hate to burst your bubble, but camping in JT has become a nightmare the past few years. For whatever reason, it has become the "it" place for hipsters to be and so it's usually a sea of humanity. If you do come, come really early because it is first come, first serve. If you are able, there is endless amounts of BLM land that surround the national park that is both free to camp and is totally isolated from man buns and acoustic guitars.
Yeah that's what I've been reading online. Any specific spots of BLM land you recommend? I don't know the area at all, but that sounds like the best plan.

Ive heard good things about this spot:
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 21.19.28.png

We went to JTNP a couple months ago. Drove up on a Thursday thinking we could get a first come spot. Most have been converted to reservation only now, and it was slammed. We got a spot for one night and had to use a hotel the next. And the traffic is 100 cars deep trying to get into the park on a holiday weekend.

We went to JTNP a couple months ago. Drove up on a Thursday thinking we could get a first come spot. Most have been converted to reservation only now, and it was slammed. We got a spot for one night and had to use a hotel the next. And the traffic is 100 cars deep trying to get into the park on a holiday weekend.
Yeah I'm glad I changed my mind and did a hotel this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back