• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Building an “offroad” bed

You gonna cut the bumper so the full tire is exposed? Half the tire? 1/3rd? lol

You gonna cut the bumper so the full tire is exposed? Half the tire? 1/3rd? lol

The bumper will be the length to the outside of the tail light buckets. Angled down at like a 45* towards the center. If you kinda zoom in to the rear shot you can see my black marks on the steel lol

Light buckets are made. Recessed to avoid damage while on the trail. Working on wiring now. I’ll have all the details of the wiring of the rear lights just for anyone who needs it in the future.

Maybe I’ll be able to drive this turd and take mall crawl photos later 😊

B513D303-22C5-4F2A-BCCC-1311EB85F5F8.jpeg

Light buckets are made. Recessed to avoid damage while on the trail. Working on wiring now. I’ll have all the details of the wiring of the rear lights just for anyone who needs it in the future.

Maybe I’ll be able to drive this turd and take mall crawl photos later 😊

B513D303-22C5-4F2A-BCCC-1311EB85F5F8.jpeg
be sure to add a light or at least a reflector to outsides to maintain legality.

be sure to add a light or at least a reflector to outsides to maintain legality.

Man you get me every time lol... I didn’t even think about that until now. I’ll grab one of those small trailer amber lights to mount on the side.

Good looking out 👍

Its
Man you get me every time lol... I didn’t even think about that until now. I’ll grab one of those small trailer amber lights to mount on the side.

Good looking out 👍
just one of those dumb things ive been stopped for before. Doesnt seem like a big deal, but any reason to avoid attention is a good one. (y)

Its

just one of those dumb things ive been stopped for before. Doesnt seem like a big deal, but any reason to avoid attention is a good one. (y)

For sure. You were also correct on the resistors. Signals flash too quick now. I ordered resistors as no parts store around me had them.

All wired up. Really not hard at all.

Used a 5 to 4 wire trailer harness assembly but that didn’t work.

So literally just wired the lights up how they come off of the harness. When I’m not busy one day I’ll make actual connectors that can be unplugged.

All tested with truck running no issues except turn signal is too quick. Hazard is slow like normal though.

I’ll post a photo later on how the wiring is setup in the rear from factory- just an fyi if anyone needs it in the future.

Now I’ll get to working on the short headache rack, tailgate and now that I can see my leafs, I need new leafs. Also, I’ll eventually finish the top with diamond plate, just need to drive back out to the metal supplier....

Gonna draw up a crossbar/ tire carrier that will lay across the top and flip up to move the tire out of the way.

Now I’ll get to working on the short headache rack, tailgate and now that I can see my leafs, I need new leafs. Also, I’ll eventually finish the top with diamond plate, just need to drive back out to the metal supplier....

Gonna draw up a crossbar/ tire carrier that will lay across the top and flip up to move the tire out of the way.
That will look interesting.

That will look interesting.

Gonna try to make it slim, so it’s not too high off the top. Plan on making it be able to flip up and lock into place so I can use to bed when we haul my sons wheeler or pit bikes.

Here’s the wiring for the rear tail lights on the 3rd gens. Could be useful for some if your going with a cap with new 3rd brake light and if you wanna add some pod lights for reverse, etc.

The ground/ neutral is a ground. I was writing while I did this on my own lol. Running back and forth to hit the brakes, flashers, running lights and writing it all down 😂

559C749A-C95D-4B78-94E0-81C2F9D589EC.jpeg

Here’s the wiring for the rear tail lights on the 3rd gens. Could be useful for some if your going with a cap with new 3rd brake light and if you wanna add some pod lights for reverse, etc.

The ground/ neutral is a ground. I was writing while I did this on my own lol. Running back and forth to hit the brakes, flashers, running lights and writing it all down 😂

559C749A-C95D-4B78-94E0-81C2F9D589EC.jpeg
This is useful. I should put it in its own thread as a tutorial/resource.

This is useful. I should put it in its own thread as a tutorial/resource.

I figured it could help someone instead of having to watch a video or search forever!

I searched and searched for something that could tell the colors and their functions, nothing lol

no issues except turn signal is too quick. Hazard is slow like normal though.

You've got hyperflash, when I replaced all my bulbs with LED's I had the same issue. I ended up putting resistors at each rear turn signal since there was more room back there and much easier to access. I can't remember who made them or where I got them but they are quality resistors, waterproof with heat sinks. I'll see if I can find the receipt and report back. Also, the reason they flash normal as hazards is it uses a separate flasher/relay which bypasses the the turn signal "bulb out" circuit which intentionally flashes fast to indicate a blown bulb. This circuit uses the stock bulbs resistance to "slow" the flash rate. There's precious little resistance in an LED, hence hyperflash....

You've got hyperflash, when I replaced all my bulbs with LED's I had the same issue. I ended up putting resistors at each rear turn signal since there was more room back there and much easier to access. I can't remember who made them or where I got them but they are quality resistors, waterproof with heat sinks. I'll see if I can find the receipt and report back. Also, the reason they flash normal as hazards is it uses a separate flasher/relay which bypasses the the turn signal "bulb out" circuit which intentionally flashes fast to indicate a blown bulb. This circuit uses the stock bulbs resistance to "slow" the flash rate. There's precious little resistance in an LED, hence hyperflash....

oh yeah for sure. Warfab mentioned it early on and I wasn’t sure if it would mess it up or not, but it did. I ordered them yesterday just waiting on them to come in!

I did get some that were waterproof and with a heat sink so hopefully they will hold up

When they arrive hopefully they'll come with heat shrinkable bullet type connectors. If they're like mine you will need to ground them. I recommend using 3M liquid electrical coating to prevent corrosion at the ground point. Nothing more frustrating than ground related issues in DC electrical systems..

oh yeah for sure. Warfab mentioned it early on and I wasn’t sure if it would mess it up or not, but it did. I ordered them yesterday just waiting on them to come in!

I did get some that were waterproof and with a heat sink so hopefully they will hold up
The flatbed on the tow rig does the quick flash. Ive been too lazy to address it, but I need to move the bed to do fuel pump, so may be the time for me to address that as well.

Finally made a tailgate. It’s not perfect but it holds the stuff in the bed and that was much needed for our trip to the lake.

It will hold the license plate and back up camera, also recessed like the lights.

While I’m at it I’ll get the crossbar that goes under the window done after vacay. Checking things off the list, slowly but surely.

CB530309-7044-47E9-9EA7-E99577D319C6.jpeg

Finally made a tailgate. It’s not perfect but it holds the stuff in the bed and that was much needed for our trip to the lake.

It will hold the license plate and back up camera, also recessed like the lights.

While I’m at it I’ll get the crossbar that goes under the window done after vacay. Checking things off the list, slowly but surely.

CB530309-7044-47E9-9EA7-E99577D319C6.jpeg
That looks fitting, nice job.

Back