• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Building an “offroad” bed

Update.

Cooled off around here so I moved with a little pep in my step.

Lots of finish welding, bracing and supports to go. But it kinda looks like something now 💁‍♀️

38FCD064-658C-4F05-889D-BF4DBDDC1B05.jpeg
38FCD064-658C-4F05-889D-BF4DBDDC1B05.jpeg
0D208C3C-607F-4BA6-9852-78C7D4EB23C4.jpeg
47C61C71-377B-4C4B-B419-AD4C5542E550.jpeg
C377853A-78C5-440B-9126-EB1F5EDBF1E6.jpeg

That is so cool, man. Very nice. Can’t wait to see the final product.

Give us moar! 🍿

Here’s the tail light setup. I’m recessing them so less chance of hitting them on the trail. 4” Stop/turn/park light on top with a separate 4” reverse light on bottom.

*They are just hung with tape lol, had to “show” the wife so she understood what I’m talking about.

A65990D5-2BCF-44C7-AA6D-0C7F2572DE96.jpeg

Here’s the tail light setup. I’m recessing them so less chance of hitting them on the trail. 4” Stop/turn/park light on top with a separate 4” reverse light on bottom.

*They are just hung with tape lol, had to “show” the wife so she understood what I’m talking about.

A65990D5-2BCF-44C7-AA6D-0C7F2572DE96.jpeg
are you doing in line resistors to prevent the speed from being weird on indicator? or just going to let it do its thing? )not sure if the tacoma freaks out with the change in light.)

are you doing in line resistors to prevent the speed from being weird on indicator? or just going to let it do its thing? )not sure if the tacoma freaks out with the change in light.)

Ya know I didn’t even think about that. I assumed using these led trailer lights they wouldn’t be a huge difference from the stock lights. I’ll hook them up and see if they freak out or not, then I guess I will have to 😂

Ya know I didn’t even think about that. I assumed using these led trailer lights they wouldn’t be a huge difference from the stock lights. I’ll hook them up and see if they freak out or not, then I guess I will have to 😂
Yeah I just dont know if it blinks like crazy going from a standard bulb to strictly led.

Yeah I just dont know if it blinks like crazy going from a standard bulb to strictly led.

Yeah me either. I’ll be working on them tomorrow evening so I’ll test and find out. I gotta figure out all the 3 wire to each factory bulb and condense them to 4 total wires. I’m pretty sure I got it but have to make sure it’ll work

I’m sure I missed it because I haven’t really been able to read the whole thread yet, but what is your plan for the deck?

I’m sure I missed it because I haven’t really been able to read the whole thread yet, but what is your plan for the deck?

Diamond plate for the “floor” and top sections on either side. Then smooth sheet steel for the sides and front of bed and light buckets.

Diamond plate is only to make it less slippery lol.

Didn’t get everything I wanted done yesterday but this build has taken up time after work and last weekend so I put it to the side to play with my boys at the house.

The only things left right now is the front and sides sheet metal, taillights, short crossbar under window and assemble the bumper.

10D23E1E-3407-475C-9889-11401E0524D4.jpeg

Side note- found this while scrolling through FB this morning, it’s a Toyota rc with a bed similar to the one I’m building... strange that it pops up while I’m in process of this one lol.

Found it even more strange it has the same style rear bumper I’m doing as well 😂
40B41981-0532-4A8A-A922-BD95D55602E2.jpeg
05B1239C-8B4E-425E-8480-14DC7200F546.jpeg

Side note- found this while scrolling through FB this morning, it’s a Toyota rc with a bed similar to the one I’m building... strange that it pops up while I’m in process of this one lol.

Found it even more strange it has the same style rear bumper I’m doing as well 😂
40B41981-0532-4A8A-A922-BD95D55602E2.jpeg
05B1239C-8B4E-425E-8480-14DC7200F546.jpeg
That’s crazy. Literally the same thing.

Got all the sheet metal I had cut and fit-ish (some grinding to be done to fit more snug) but need to run and grab another diamond plate. Thought I would have enough with just the floor and sides but the floor took a lot more than I expected when I picked up material. Have to smooth some welds (yeah I know lol) and I’m now contemplating having the panels be able to be removed so I may riv nut then on.

Got the bumper “fit” butttt the machine shop made my d ring holes too small. So they are just hanging on a nail for show. Gonna see if my neighbors drill press is available to use 🙄 Angle cutting the sides of the bumper so it’s not so bulky looking and plate the ends.

02FBCA06-E598-4626-9871-C400C7EF8B7E.jpeg

DE4B0B26-5C60-4E87-88D9-8FF7652EEA7E.jpeg

Hindsight. But if you have a compressor, you could have made all the tube joints open and make the best structure also serve as an air tank. Still doable with the rear bumper...

Do people still do this?! We did that to a buddies old truck. It was like 6-8” round tube. It was kinda ugly though lol.

I have been contemplating tanks and compressors. I want to just grab a Powertank and mount it in the bed. That of course is my most expensive option.

Do people still do this?! We did that to a buddies old truck. It was like 6-8” round tube. It was kinda ugly though lol.

I have been contemplating tanks and compressors. I want to just grab a Powertank and mount it in the bed. That of course is my most expensive option.
Yeah, when folks do specific tubing for it it can get a little goofy looking. But we've made bumpers and sliders into air tanks. Really you would just try to maximize the capacity by making all of the bad structure one open piece. then no one is the wiser that it is an air tank, and a regulator keeps it from over pressuring.

Is this going to be kind of heavy with all the gear and stuff (like the compressor)?

Is this going to be kind of heavy with all the gear and stuff (like the compressor)?

Well right now it weights(estimated) around 225-250lbs. My wife has still been able to lift it off the truck with me. She said it weighs just a little more than the stock bed.

I am loosing a little bit of weight due to the bumper being smaller than the one I did have too.

Yeah, when folks do specific tubing for it it can get a little goofy looking. But we've made bumpers and sliders into air tanks. Really you would just try to maximize the capacity by making all of the bad structure one open piece. then no one is the wiser that it is an air tank, and a regulator keeps it from over pressuring.

Honestly that would be really cool. I do wonder how much would the bumper even hold if I went that route?

Honestly that would be really cool. I do wonder how much would the bumper even hold if I went that route?
Just keep in mind, the more space, the more motor you need to fill it. Like in a shop. Everyone gets two tanks but uses one pump, when really the extra pump would help more. Depends on your usage, but i liked the additional air. If nothing more than when filling up, hit the compressor as you near the end of the trail, could air back up and hardly have an issue airing up;.

Looks awesome man seems to be coming along pretty quickly.

Are you gonna leave everything raw or paint/powdercoat?

Just keep in mind, the more space, the more motor you need to fill it. Like in a shop. Everyone gets two tanks but uses one pump, when really the extra pump would help more. Depends on your usage, but i liked the additional air. If nothing more than when filling up, hit the compressor as you near the end of the trail, could air back up and hardly have an issue airing up;.

Very true. 🤔

Looks awesome man seems to be coming along pretty quickly.

Are you gonna leave everything raw or paint/powdercoat?

Thanks! It is but to me it’s not. I feel like I’m moving so slow with this. I’m used to wood lol. Metal is a whole new beast to me.

I’m tossing ideas around if either having it:

-Sprayed with linex. The entire thing
-Painting it my self with rattle cans
-Prepping and applying rhino liner to it my self

All would be decent options. Paint would most likely come off in the bed though. Rhino liner is fine just takes a lot of prep work. Linex is gonna be expensive. They charge like $6-700 for a standard bed (8ft) so if they did the underneath and sides too, I could only imagine. Although linex is the most durable imo.

I’m not a fan of powder coating. Never have been. Too “shiny” for me lol

Back