• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bought a Taco with a lift...

Nocoparkinglotcrawler

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
So, I bought my '16 SR with some parts on it not really knowing much beyond 'it has a lift.' I'm hoping to get some help in nailing down where I'm actually at, and what sort of options I have for wheels/tires.

On the front my measurement from center of the hub to the fender is 23". There are Bilstein 5100's here but I can't tell how they're setup... No clue if/how much they're preloaded.

The rear hub to fender measurement is 23.5". OE shock, can't tell anything about the leaf.

Tire size as-is is 265/70-17, and they stuff (3-wheeling style) without issue. Height is fine for me, but I'd like more track width. I'm pretty close to the UCA's with TRD OR wheels, so Ive been looking at TRD Pro wheels for the extra clearance to run something like a 285 maybe?

Basically, how much lift is on the truck, and how would I go about identifying what all has been done?

Definitely need pictures in order to help you ID what you've got.

Pictures attached.

No spacers from what I can see, apprars to be spring lift all around.

IMG_20180713_100728.jpg
IMG_20180713_100721.jpg
IMG_20180713_100751.jpg
IMG_20180713_100744.jpg

No spacers, looks like it's most likely the stock coil preloaded on a 5100, without seeing the part number it's impossible to tell if it's a 2nd or 3rd Gen shock. OEM leaf packs with stock shocks and a shitty ass lift block in the back... looks like someone stuck a brick in it, lol. U-bolts are crazy long for that setup too, they'll be in the rocks for sure when you start wheeling it.

No spacers, looks like it's most likely the stock coil preloaded on a 5100, without seeing the part number it's impossible to tell if it's a 2nd or 3rd Gen shock. OEM leaf packs with stock shocks and a shitty ass lift block in the back... looks like someone stuck a brick in it, lol. U-bolts are crazy long for that setup too, they'll be in the rocks for sure when you start wheeling it.

Looks like you're right. The part number for the 5100's was 3rd Gen from when I looked it up previously.

I wonder if they used OR springs? Seems taller than the average SR I see around by quite a bit.

The spacer in the rear is steel, just surface rust on it for now. The U-bolts are stupid long, but haven't had clearance issues yet, but I've been taking cautious lines in the more difficult rock sections for numerous reasons anyways.

I'm thinking of losing the rear spacer for an AAL setup (Icon progressive probably), and throwing some lift springs up front so I can dial out the preload. Shocks for the rear... Depending on what I find.

Back