• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bigger Tires on Stock TRD Sport Wheel

CEaster

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Next week I’m installing the Low Range Off-road 3 inch kit on my 2018 TRD Sport. I’ve been going back and forth between the 285/70r17 and 255/80r17. I’m planning on running stock wheels because that’s really the look I’m going for, but I want to make sure there’s no clearance issues with the UCAs going with the 285 because at first sight it looks like there isn’t going to be a whole lot of room. I have seen the diagram posted that shows both these tires will fit, but not much about how they fit with stock wheels. Thanks!

While I have that same lift with 285's, I don't have stock rims, so I don't want to give false info. I don't have any rubbing with 285s, and didn't do a cab chop. Some may say otherwise, but you could always go with spacers if you need to bump out the wheels a bit if you go with 285s.

While I have that same lift with 285's, I don't have stock rims, so I don't want to give false info. I don't have any rubbing with 285s, and didn't do a cab chop. Some may say otherwise, but you could always go with spacers if you need to bump out the wheels a bit if you go with 285s.

Thanks for the info. As far as spacer lifts go I was told this one is the best so I’m hoping that’s the case!

The low range kit (well at least the 3" version I have) is not a spacer lift. I did a spacer lift on my prior gen 2 Tacoma, and it rode very rough. Doing springs/shocks on the current truck makes for a very smooth ride in comparison.
In my post above, I was referring to hub-centric wheel spacers in order to push them out if you have rubbing on the UCAs.
Apologies for the confusion.

Hey Guys,
Next week I’m installing the Low Range Off-road 3 inch kit on my 2018 TRD Sport. I’ve been going back and forth between the 285/70r17 and 255/80r17. I’m planning on running stock wheels because that’s really the look I’m going for, but I want to make sure there’s no clearance issues with the UCAs going with the 285 because at first sight it looks like there isn’t going to be a whole lot of room. I have seen the diagram posted that shows both these tires will fit, but not much about how they fit with stock wheels. Thanks!
A buddy at work did the 255's with stock wheels, it looks and performs great and actually a bit taller. Share pics when you decide!

29F0A526-7CB2-4B9C-900E-A44D954FED40.jpeg

So I installed the lift last week after getting off work early one night. Did so by myself completely without power tools, I wouldn’t recommend it but it can be done with a torque wrench and breaker bars. I got the truck aligned the next day and the shop couldn’t align the front because of the lack of space between the stock tire and the UCAs. Therefore I’ve gone ahead and ordered 1.25” and 1.5” hub centric spacers, initially I went with 1.25” but after seeing how little space there is I decided to order 1.5” as well. For the tires I found a deal on Facebook Marketplace, a guy selling a brand new set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70r17s off a Gladiator for $400 (regularly $800 for a set) which I can’t pass up. After doing more research I think I would like to go 255s after I replace these down the road. I’ve attached a picture with stock tires. After the 285s get installed Thursday I’ll post a new picture and let you know which wheel spacers I wound up going with.

A buddy at work did the 255's with stock wheels, it looks and performs great and actually a bit taller. Share pics when you decide!
Was it a TRD Sport? What size spacers did he have to run? If you don’t mind asking. I’m still waiting on the 1.5” spacers to arrive and I can just cancel them if need be.

Took the truck back to the alignment shop and there’s about 1 degree of positive camber which is in spec and they said that’s fine. Another alignment shop that also installs lifts said it was fine as well, so I’m going with it. Finally got the tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70r17) and had them installed today. Wound up having to use the Spidertrax 1.25” hub centric spacers on the front as the tires were rubbing on the upper control arms. But now all is good and the stance turned out how I wanted.
98E39338-C069-4C23-B2BC-E1C1A8DE0229.jpeg
1E0CFDCE-8F94-47D7-B162-BF2D523FBAC8.jpeg
D32D9B6A-09A5-4D4A-A9D0-598039EDC2D4.jpeg

Took the truck back to the alignment shop and there’s about 1 degree of positive camber which is in spec and they said that’s fine. Another alignment shop that also installs lifts said it was fine as well, so I’m going with it. Finally got the tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70r17) and had them installed today. Wound up having to use the Spidertrax 1.25” hub centric spacers on the front as the tires were rubbing on the upper control arms. But now all is good and the stance turned out how I wanted.
Looks great! How do you like the tires so far?

Looks great! How do you like the tires so far?
So far so good. Very slightly louder than I expected with an A/T but not bad. Found them for $400 for a set of 5 off a new Gladiator so I couldn’t pass that up but I think I’ll be happy with them.

I ran 285/75s on my stock OR wheels without spacers but with a similar lift and SPC upper control arms. I had no rubbing on the UCAs, so I suppose for this setup, stock vs. aftermarket UCAs makes a difference. Either way, the spacers you bought are sufficient and your truck looks great.

I appreciate it! The truck turned out how I wanted it, but I would eventually like to get away from the spacers. Most likely when it hits 100k I’ll put on upgraded coilovers and leaf-packs versus the spacers along with a different wheel setup and adjustable UCAs. After doing some looking I think the off-set on the OR wheels is different than the Sport wheel which is why I had this issue, or the stock suspension in the front is a slightly different. Either way I’ve been running this setup for almost 7k miles now with no issues and it did everything I needed it to in the mountains in WV, so Im happy for now.

I appreciate it! The truck turned out how I wanted it, but I would eventually like to get away from the spacers. Most likely when it hits 100k I’ll put on upgraded coilovers and leaf-packs versus the spacers along with a different wheel setup and adjustable UCAs. After doing some looking I think the off-set on the OR wheels is different than the Sport wheel which is why I had this issue, or the stock suspension in the front is a slightly different. Either way I’ve been running this setup for almost 7k miles now with no issues and it did everything I needed it to in the mountains in WV, so Im happy for now.
Glad it is working out for you.

I think both of these wheels have zero offset (could be wrong?), and I’m not sure if there is anything different with the suspensions. I’m curious to know if there actually is now.

Glad it is working out for you.

I think both of these wheels have zero offset (could be wrong?), and I’m not sure if there is anything different with the suspensions. I’m curious to know if there actually is now.
Agreed. That would be an awesome post if anyone had experience in it. The only guys I know around my area have stock Sports or lifted OR so I can’t tell if there’s any difference.

Back