• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bestop supertop or softopper? Which would you pick

Jesse Rizo

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Of course for me I would go with Bestop supertop I love it overall BUT I want to hear everyone else’s input lol and see pictures if you guys have any.
But with no pressure just helping those that want it If you decide on www.bestop.com I have a 10%off discount code for everyone: JESSERIZOBESTOP
B8469C29-9951-40CC-823B-E7EA0E8B033C.jpeg
ECEEC8FE-83E5-4C2F-A07F-8C86E7F7771C.jpeg
C754B2F4-7291-43D6-B476-3DCA102E647A.png
A004B82E-4CF9-4EF0-9759-67BB2A5399A9.jpeg

I like the new Bestop a lot. I had just purchased my softopper a few months before it came out. But I’d probably bet the bestop if I could do it over. The new style one.
2D7CE24D-E176-47FE-991E-A0AFFFA327FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Bestop unit, in person,
20190201_174633_HDR.jpg
but, I can say that the fit and overall quality of the Softopper is excellent. I prefer the profile of the Softopper over the Bestop......seems a little tighter, IMO.

Honestly I had the new supper top by bestop and hated the rear bed access with the bar. from what I have seen the softtopper is the best option in my opinion

I've been looking at getting a soft style shell, my only concern is do they leak much?
Only spot I’ve seen water come in is threw the sides of my tailgate and on the side closest to the cabin our truck beds have a hole I can’t explain it lol but every Tacoma has it but all I did was cover that with foam

As far as the softop no it doesn’t leak it’s water proof the Only spot I’ve seen water come in is threw the sides of my tailgate lol but that’s not the softops fault and it’s only while driving in hard hard rain if not no not that I’ve noticed

Can these handle high winds? We get some pretty narly sand storms where I’m at and high winds follow. Wouldn’t want it to rip off the truck if I got one

Can these handle high winds? We get some pretty narly sand storms where I’m at and high winds follow. Wouldn’t want it to rip off the truck if I got one
I've only ever heard of one being damaged by wind but you could always add another pair of clamps if you are super worried

I’ve gone threw hard ass winds idk if u know where Palm Springs ca is but god damn those are hard sometimes and it’s done fine no problem u do feel it push u a little more than normal but as long as you tighten the clamps correctly and install them where they state in the instruction U should have no problem

Since bestop acquired softopper maybe they're sharing ideas, build quality, etc...

Back