• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Best Overland RTT for the cost?

skylerizzo

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hey all, im looking to make a move on purchasing a RTT and a Prinsu Cab rack to mount it to for the upcoming summer. I am looking for some insight on the best RTT for the cost. I was about to buy the Smittybilt Overlanded while it was on sale for $739 but the price jumped back to $899. So feel free to put personal insight, opinions, and pictures down below!!!! This is my current set up a stock 18’ TRD OR DCB!

Attachments

• 62243A2A-EE94-453D-947C-6867702F2BEA.jpeg
    62243A2A-EE94-453D-947C-6867702F2BEA.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 181
We would argue the best for the cost is in fact the Smitty Overlander. There are not too many tents out there that are under 1k and its safe to say that the Smitty holds up very well compared to some of the others out there. That's not to say there aren't better ones but I would think you would be very hard-pressed to find ones under 1K that will holdup like the Smitty.

We would argue the best for the cost is in fact the Smitty Overlander. There are not too many tents out there that are under 1k and its safe to say that the Smitty holds up very well compared to some of the others out there. That's not to say there aren't better ones but I would think you would be very hard-pressed to find ones under 1K that will holdup like the Smitty.

Awesome, i was kinda sure of the cost with the RTT just didn’t know if it’s durability was comparable to the more expensive ones, or if it was worth spending the extra money.

Awesome, i was kinda sure of the cost with the RTT just didn’t know if it’s durability was comparable to the more expensive ones, or if it was worth spending the extra money.
Same quality as a tepui if u ask me.

I’m going to definitely pull the trigger on it if and when it goes on sale, need to order the Prinsu rack still!

I searched all over and read lots of reviews, watched lots of YouTube videos and went with the Smittybilt Overlander. There is a YouTube channel called Wobbly Otter or something similar, she did a review at a year, two years, and I think another but I don't remember what the time frame was and that one sealed the deal for me.

I searched all over and read lots of reviews, watched lots of YouTube videos and went with the Smittybilt Overlander. There is a YouTube channel called Wobbly Otter or something similar, she did a review at a year, two years, and I think another but I don't remember what the time frame was and that one sealed the deal for me.

Heh, I watched that Otter lady's video too and it sold me. I have an unboxing video in my channel, if you are just sitting waiting for it to show up that might help :)

I've been looking at the 23Zero tents. Good quality and in the $899 - $1200 range

WTF? I just went to their page. They don't have images of their products on their website, just "Image coming soon" How long have these guys been around? Taking pictures of your product seems like a day one thing.

https://23zero.com/product-category/accessories/

https://23zero.com/product-category/roof-top-tents/all-roof-top-tents/

Saw that too and hit them up via insta about it. Response was, "we're aware and working on it." Piss poor marketing, especially before Expo.

Saw that too and hit them up via insta about it. Response was, "we're aware and working on it." Piss poor marketing, especially before Expo.
It looks like the photos are coming in now, I think I only saw 3 missing. They have quite the lineup of tent options. I didn't realize we needed that much choice. I'm used to regular or large as my options, as far as the fold out tents go. Seems interesting.

If anyone were interested i just came across my thread, i did get the tent and rack and absolutely love it. I keep it on the roof all the time no issues been on the beach with it through rain and 40mph wind gusts and it’s been outstanding. The only so so thing is the mattress it’s a little firm but if you lay a blanket underneath you’re great. Sorry for the distance on the one it was on top of a dune!

Attachments

• 258DEF4D-7F54-42D7-83E5-FE1B66C4C1F0.jpeg
    258DEF4D-7F54-42D7-83E5-FE1B66C4C1F0.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 184
  • AFDF2CF1-7329-4F54-BA1C-468A1349D04E.jpeg
    AFDF2CF1-7329-4F54-BA1C-468A1349D04E.jpeg
    602.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 451ED63F-D5FD-45CD-9811-FE3901E0C720.jpeg
    451ED63F-D5FD-45CD-9811-FE3901E0C720.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 6463C9EF-C78B-4E08-B6DE-677C6D7B4056.jpeg
    6463C9EF-C78B-4E08-B6DE-677C6D7B4056.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 178
If anyone were interested i just came across my thread, i did get the tent and rack and absolutely love it. I keep it on the roof all the time no issues been on the beach with it through rain and 40mph wind gusts and it’s been outstanding. The only so so thing is the mattress it’s a little firm but if you lay a blanket underneath you’re great. Sorry for the distance on the one it was on top of a dune!
Awesome, thanks for updating the thread for future readers! The Overlander is definitely a solid tent at a good price.

Back