• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed Racks

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
Getting a rooftop tent very soon. I have a tonneau cover, and was looking at the KB Voodoo hi rise bars so I could use my cover with the tent.

Do any companies make racks that are higher, but still work with the tonneau cover? Or is KB my only option?

The OEM trifold cover

Well crap, there goes my idea.

I use a soft tonneau cover with an RCI rack. I had to do some custom work to make it fit though.

F0FC23ED-0011-4B4D-B2D9-F772A613F866.jpeg

Well crap, there goes my idea.

I use a soft tonneau cover with an RCI rack. I had to do some custom work to make it fit though.

F0FC23ED-0011-4B4D-B2D9-F772A613F866.jpeg
Do you have closer photos of the way it mounts around the cover?

Ah I see. Yeah I think my cover would stick out on the rails too far.

Hey Josh, you are super limited if you plan on staying with your OEM tonneau cover, but if you get a roll-away cover or one that retracts below the bed rack, then you can have more options.

You know I am a big fan over Front Runner stuff, I think because it's customizable based on the trip you plan on using it for. FRO makes universal mounts so you can mount the rack on top of the bed sides rather than inside the bed rails.

You can also go custom. But I am sure you'll find a solution. Just keep on looking and asking questions! Someone here should have something for what you need.

Hey Josh, you are super limited if you plan on staying with your OEM tonneau cover, but if you get a roll-away cover or one that retracts below the bed rack, then you can have more options.

You know I am a big fan over Front Runner stuff, I think because it's customizable based on the trip you plan on using it for. FRO makes universal mounts so you can mount the rack on top of the bed sides rather than inside the bed rails.

You can also go custom. But I am sure you'll find a solution. Just keep on looking and asking questions! Someone here should have something for what you need.
Thanks Bernie! After we talked on IG, I did go back and forth for a while deciding to go with Front Runner or KB Voodoo. I ended up wanting the extra height (for the tent annex) and mounting options, so I went with the KB Voodoo Max Modular rack setup. They have brackets so I can use my tonneau cover as well. I ordered it yesterday and I'm excited to see how it is!

Thanks Bernie! After we talked on IG, I did go back and forth for a while deciding to go with Front Runner or KB Voodoo. I ended up wanting the extra height (for the tent annex) and mounting options, so I went with the KB Voodoo Max Modular rack setup. They have brackets so I can use my tonneau cover as well. I ordered it yesterday and I'm excited to see how it is!

Awesome Josh! Post up some pics when it's all installed.

Love my Frontrunner rack!

Attachments

• 814B3C96-B304-4239-B81D-B0FF255F67F7.jpeg
    814B3C96-B304-4239-B81D-B0FF255F67F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • FDB7ADF2-38C2-4DE6-BC6F-7151C69C5EE1.jpeg
    FDB7ADF2-38C2-4DE6-BC6F-7151C69C5EE1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Back