• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed platform's with storage

Tacocamper

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I've been looking around different threads and haven't been able to find any dedicated to bed platforms for storage or sleeping. Currently waiting on my GFC and been debating numerous options for bed storage or just a simple platform and store totes underneath it. Was curious to see what other 3rd gen owners have down. I know Decked system is pretty popular but I'm trying to conserve a little on weight and was hoping to be able to remove it quickly if need be. Would love to see any and all ideas!!

Thanks!

I currently have a simple flat wood pair in the back of our truck. We constantly discuss options for storage back there. The decked is definitely cool but like you, if like it to be rapidly removable. I found a dude on TW that had designed his entire deep from scratch, then had all the wood otherwise cut and all he did was assemble it.

I'll see if I can find it again.

I currently have a simple flat wood pair in the back of our truck. We constantly discuss options for storage back there. The decked is definitely cool but like you, if like it to be rapidly removable. I found a dude on TW that had designed his entire deep from scratch, then had all the wood otherwise cut and all he did was assemble it.

I'll see if I can find it again.

That would awesome, all the threads I’ve been finding are either first or second gen.

The wife and I are discussing something along those lines. Pretty nice layout and quality.

I think with a canopy its a must have. Be able to store totes underneath and give you that nice platform to stand or lay on depending on the canopy. I was thinking something a little more simple, maybe starting with a two piece platform just tall enough to slide totes under and just carpet it until I cant stand it anymore haha

I think with a canopy its a must have. Be able to store totes underneath and give you that nice platform to stand or lay on depending on the canopy. I was thinking something a little more simple, maybe starting with a two piece platform just tall enough to slide totes under and just carpet it until I cant stand it anymore haha

Something like this??

IMG_20180316_170548135_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180317_111455276.jpg

That's what we currently have in the back. Super functional. Makes the bed way more versatile when camping and for my use as a daily. Cost me $109 @ Home Depot.

Something like this??

IMG_20180317_111455276.jpg

That's what we currently have in the back. Super functional. Makes the bed way more versatile when camping and for my use as a daily. Cost me $109 @ Home Depot.

That’s perfect, exactly what I was thinking. Looks like with the right material, two adults standing on it should be fine

Just use 2 x 8's and you should be able to stand on it if you want to. I'm running 2x 6 and it's pretty solid already, but I don't know if I'd want to stand on it. I've put a lot of weight on top of it while traveling though.

Something like this??

Oh and I will be installing that same OME leaf pack, if its the heavy duty one that is. How are you liking them? Got those and the BP51s just need to find time to get them on the truck

Oh and I will be installing that same OME leaf pack, if its the heavy duty one that is. How are you liking them? Got those and the BP51s just need to find time to get them on the truck

That's exactly what I have. The HD Dakars and the BP-51's. The socks are awesome. Really smooth off-road and comfortable and predictable on road. The springs are great but they can get a little squeaky sometimes. I lube them regular but I wish I would have followed ARB's TSB recommendations for lubricating them prior to install. I think I have the TSB somewhere, I'll try and upload it. Since you haven't installed yet it's definitely worth looking into before you do though. It's basically just water resistant grease in certain spots.

That's exactly what I have. The HD Dakars and the BP-51's. The socks are awesome. Really smooth off-road and comfortable and predictable on road. The springs are great but they can get a little squeaky sometimes. I lube them regular but I wish I would have followed ARB's TSB recommendations for lubricating them prior to install. I think I have the TSB somewhere, I'll try and upload it. Since you haven't installed yet it's definitely worth looking into before you do though. It's basically just water resistant grease in certain spots.

That's great advice I will definitely be doing that. Hoping to get it done early next week but the trucks a daily driver and I assume its probably going to take a full day and maybe more.

That's great advice I will definitely be doing that. Hoping to get it done early next week but the trucks a daily driver and I assume its probably going to take a full day and maybe more.

It took me about 8 hours with a buddy just messing around. There's plenty of yurtube videos describing the procedure. Honestly the biggest pain ita part was getting the upper control arm bolt out on the passenger side. There's not much room.

It took me about 8 hours with a buddy just messing around. There's plenty of yurtube videos describing the procedure. Honestly the biggest pain ita part was getting the upper control arm bolt out on the passenger side. There's not much room.

Always good to have some proper advice from someone who has done it. I can't wait to get it installed, I've been running stock SR5 suspension for the last 6 months and a 3 inch spacer lift. Pretty much the stiffest ride you can have anytime you are off pavement.

Here is what I built for a dedicated sleeping/storage platform. I used plywood for the platform and 2x10s for the vertical and horizontal supports (overkill but it's what I had scrap-wise). I built my own drawer using skateboard bearings and aluminum "angle iron." The whole setup has 6 screws holding it all together so I could take the whole thing out in 10 minutes with an impact driver/drill. I put carpet padding under the carpet as well for added comfort. I slept on it for 9 straight nights in Moab this past March and it was awesome! I also made an extension leaf that sits on top of the drawer when it's pulled about halfway out so I can have a table/extra legroom when it's warm outside. Otherwise I sleep diagonally inside with plenty of room. The openings down the sides of the drawer are also very useful for storage of shovels, camp chairs, axes, etc. I keep my thermarest and some outdoors blankets stored on the drivers side opening and shovel, sledge, axe, and camp chair on the passenger side!
IMG_6712.JPG

The pieces in the back have piano hinges on them so that I can open them like trap doors and access the drawer even when the tailgate is up. Also makes getting the pieces out if I needed to break it down.
Uncarpeted platform.JPG
without leaf.JPG

I'm creating BamBeds to address this exact problem. There's no minimalist sleeping platform available for the tacoma. The decked system is way too bulky and hard to remove for my day-to-day needs.
Check out my product here and let me know what you think!
bambeds.com

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 124
I'm currently able to have this shipped in 1-2 business days for both Birch and Bamboo Models and shipping is free

I always like having a Canopy top.. and prefer the ones with higher cabs ( not the flush look) …the higher cabs maybe a few inches taller..but additional space it offers..HUGE! ..
Those that added the 2x6 boards across and added a plywood on top…Super great idea ! With storage space under neat.. can always add sliding plastic storage containers, More storage space then sliding drawers?
Simple..cost effective…can be design for easy removable if need the full bed storage too..

I will be making mines a bit different…because my purpose is for camping and shoreline fishing..I like using a open style tent system usually a 10x20 or 20x20 conduit pipe tents..like swap meets..walls on only on two sides..our fishing is 24 hours..slide baiting for Ulua’s.. fishing on lava cliffs..low and high..google/YouTube Ulua fishing..Big island…
Canopy is for carrying to protect elements..when Ulua fishing I will carry multiple coolers with a minimum of two 151qt coolers..food/ice…10 gals of water, 5 gal propane tank to run lanterns, stove(s)..on my long trips..2-3 days ..longest a couple of times 9 days..Ulua tournaments)…google ( Tokugawa Ulua Challenge)…
Aloha

Attachments

• AE9EA3C1-910C-41AB-81D6-2FC834D5447D.jpeg
    AE9EA3C1-910C-41AB-81D6-2FC834D5447D.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 114
Back