• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Battery wire gauges

On 2nd gens I think it’s 2 gauge so I’d assume it’s the same with 3rd gens but I’m not 100%. What are you trying to do?

I am installing SDHQ battery terminals (I actually just did it). I had thought the negative wire was 2 gauge as well but when I held some other 2 gauge wire I own next to it it was clear it is something slightly smaller.

That said the SDHQ negative terminal has an adapter for the OEM setup on the negative line and grounding line. To my surprise it doesnt bother me and I might actually stick with that setup for a while

I had never disconnected my Taco's battery before and the results were...surprising. I did not lose any preprogrammed radio stations but my clock needed resetting.

I am installing SDHQ battery terminals (I actually just did it). I had thought the negative wire was 2 gauge as well but when I held some other 2 gauge wire I own next to it it was clear it is something slightly smaller.

That said the SDHQ negative terminal has an adapter for the OEM setup on the negative line and grounding line. To my surprise it doesnt bother me and I might actually stick with that setup for a while

I had never disconnected my Taco's battery before and the results were...surprising. I did not lose any preprogrammed radio stations but my clock needed resetting.
I have the same sdhq terminals. Super easy install. My last truck I had to solder on new ring terminals to use a military style terminal. It was nice not having to do that with the Tacoma

I may cut my negative cable and crimp a ring terminal onto it eventually.

For now, I am just putting in an aux power tray, setting up a Midland MXT575 radio, and calling it done. In mid September I am getting a regear and front and rear lockers and shortly after that a winch bumper. After that I think I am putting a Front Runner rack on my Diamondback.

After that I may deal with the negative cable and start adding a few more electronics.

Most just run 4G cables.

I have this version of the kit. Looks like they don't include the ring terminal anymore and added some terminal washers and boots. I wanted to get around to doing it because that spacer for the negative doesn't look as clean as adding the terminal.
Stopped when I saw I had to cut the factory wiring. Left it on the list.

sdhq-built-hd-billet-main-battery-terminal-upgrade-kit-battery-kit-sdhq-off-road-222104_480x_4...jpg

These came with it originally if you were interested. I can find out what size it is when I get home.

Last edited:
I have heard mixed reviews of that "screw" crimper they supply. One person really liked it but a couple others said it cross threaded. I'll probably end up just crimping on a classic tinned copper ring terminal if I do it at all.

I am the world's okayest electrician at best and usually I am more willing to cut cable when I save some spare cable length to work with in case I somehow screw up the strip or crimp.

Back