• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Back up camera clean up

Cougsfan34

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 Sport AC Manual
Barcelona Red
Is anyone having issues keeping their back up camera clean with all the rain we are having. This is my first vehicle ever to have a back up camera, and while I don't use it that often...it is kinda nice to have. Is there a little plastic cover or clear lense sticker to put over it? Do you use something different to keep the little camera clean and stop it from getting coated in mud or road grime?

Is anyone having issues keeping their back up camera clean with all the rain we are having. This is my first vehicle ever to have a back up camera, and while I don't use it that often...it is kinda nice to have. Is there a little plastic cover or clear lense sticker to put over it? Do you use something different to keep the little camera clean and stop it from getting coated in mud or road grime?
You can purchase clear screen protector off Ebay, but there is not much you can do to keep it clean , best case while you thumb over it everytime you get in you truck.
Another method you can try would be rain X or somthing similar, it may or may not help

There's nothing you can do to keep it clean. If you cover it with film, the film would just get dirty. I just wipe it off with my finger or shirt sleeve when it gets to the point where I can't see out of it any more, being careful not to scratch the lens.

Yup, agreed. When it's dirty wipe it off. Be careful not to scratch it.

That said...I wonder if there is a better quality plug and play replacement. I think I'll do some googling.

I ceramic coated all 4 of my cameras and have zero issues with keeping them clean.

When off-roading in the desert a small rock kicked up and hit my camera lense now I have a small chip in the glass and it is visible in the display. Kind of annoying. But I do like the ceramic coating idea or maybe trying to apply some rain-ex to it...

I tried rainx, it didn't help at all. Now I just wipe it off with my finger when I notice it getting hazy every few weeks

Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax seems to be working pretty good and lasting longer than rainx did. Looks good on paint and trim as well.

Last edited:
I’ve used a solution for fog/water repellent for eye glasses 🤓 for my backup cam. Sold on amazon but now I can’t find it and I would link u to it

Back