• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Auto lights

cbtac02

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
Many times when turning off the truck the lights do not automatically until after 10 minutes in the evening. I took it to the dealer and they said it worked fine. Their words were:
- you have to have the door closed when the truck is turned off
- they wont go off by locking with the handle. Have to hit the lock button on the remote 2 times

Has anyone seen this issue? To get them to turn off, I have to set the lights to off, then I put them back on auto.

C.B.

Many times when turning off the truck the lights do not automatically until after 10 minutes in the evening. I took it to the dealer and they said it worked fine. Their words were:
- they wont go off by locking with the handle. Have to hit the lock button on the remote 2 times

Has anyone seen this issue? To get them to turn off, I have to set the lights to off, then I put them back on auto.

C.B.

That's normal. The auto lights are on a courtesy timer, hence them staying on. Hitting the lock button on the fob twice overrides the timer and shuts them off instantly.

Upvote 0

C.B.
Setting via etune there should be a time adjustment 10 mins no maybe tops a 1 min or 2 I have mine selected for 30 seconds after arming

Upvote 0
That's normal. The auto lights are on a courtesy timer, hence them staying on. Hitting the lock button on the fob twice overrides the timer and shuts them off instantly.
That is what I was told by the dealer as well. But I have on multiple occasions had it stay on. I have reduced it to the fact that I must be hitting something on the remote when getting out that is causing the issue. Im recording it the next time it happens to take to the dealer.

Upvote 0
Setting via etune there should be a time adjustment 10 mins no maybe tops a 1 min or 2 I have mine selected for 30 seconds after arming
I have it set for 30 secs. I did it last night, went in the grocery store, came out 6 mins later and they were still on. Im videoing the next time to see if the dealer can explain. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
I have it set for 30 secs. I did it last night, went in the grocery store, came out 6 mins later and they were still on. Im videoing the next time to see if the dealer can explain. Thanks for the reply!
Sorry we are talking headlights correct?
What have you done to you truck via light and electrical related

Upvote 0
Just mess with your settings on your engine and you will find the headlight staying on after vehicle shut off it has a timer that’s all it is easy fix I had the same issue but messed around with the settings and I found it

Upvote 0
Do they all have auto lights? When i leave my lights on it tells me to turn them off. If i leave them on DRL it doesn't prompt me to turn them off.

Upvote 0
Do they all have auto lights? When i leave my lights on it tells me to turn them off. If i leave them on DRL it doesn't prompt me to turn them off.
On you headlight leaver it should say "auto" If you have auto headlights

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing I can think of is if you have a door open or not latched properly the lights would stay on until they hit a low voltage mark
What do you have one your truck anything taped into any wires stuff like that aftermarket hid kits pop locks etc...

Upvote 0
Back