Asking for your advice on paid advertisements...

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
To everyone: I really appreciate your kind words, as usual. I'm not sure if I say that too much. But you guys keep me going.

To clarify, this wasn't really me asking if I should start putting ads on my stuff. Because I'm not going to, period.

This was more of me wanting to know if I am an actual idiot or if I'm doing something right with my decision.

Also, as far as making money goes, I'll say this: I didn't create T3G to make money; I did it as a hobby of mine. I've loved forums since 2004, and I have always wanted to have a popular one to be proud of -- one that would help other people with whatever they need (in the niche). However, making side money from the sticker and patch sales, and the Amazon affiliate links (that don't do much, lol), is pretty passive and not obstructive to anyone's experience on the forum or Instagram. Also, by having a supporter account (blue name), you don't gain anything that normal members don't have, with the exception of not needing 10 posts for RotM. The reason for that is not because I'm not thankful for your donation, but because I want everyone to have the full experience without anything being hidden behind a paywall.

Lastly, the passive money made does pay for the server and gets used for RotM prizes when they aren't sponsored, and other giveaways for forum and IG milestones. The more there is sitting in the PayPal, the more I can give back with better and bigger stuff. I know we did t-shirts and hats once, and they are still highly requested, but they are so dang hard to create in decent quality. The shirts I have, I don't even wear, because they sucked. I do wear the hat though.

jchooley13

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Justin
T3G Member
#3,111
Forums like this are pretty much an ad to begin with. It's free marketing for manufacturers. We buy products and show it off in the build threads. They don't even need to make an account to reap the benefits. Though I'm glad they do and keep us updated on new products, offer discounts and take in feed back.

But having ads to supplement the RotM prizes or towards better quality merch (t-shirts, sweatshirts etc.) wouldn't be an idiotic thing to do. Don't go over bored, I got on a Subaru forum for the 1st time in 6 months and every 3 posts there was an ad, along with the ads at the top, bottom and left side of the page. Used to be like that only if I wasn't signed in now it's like that no matter what. Nothing more annoying than having to read through a flame war to try to find the info you need and seeing an ad every 3 post.

Last edited:

nickyreno

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Nick
Military
Army (Vet.)
T3G Member
#5,704
I've loved forums since 2004, and I have always wanted to have a popular one to be proud of -- one that would help other people with whatever they need (in the niche).
Well on that note, you’re batting 1000. Well done mate, we appreciate you and what you’ve done here. 🤙

Last edited:

oretaco

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Cameron
T3G Member
#1,684
I dig the idea. That's what I'm going for on my IG as well.

Having a forum coated in ads is an eye sore. It shows that the forum owner in question cares more about website traffic and membership(paid or unpaid) more than they care about authentic members.

Chaslyon

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Charlie
T3G Member
#3,824
Ultimately, it’s your choice, your page, your right to do what you want with it. Freedom and Entrepreneurship fuels everything. Thanks for the consideration.

Kevinpd325

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Kevin
Military
Navy
T3G Member
#1,913
I regularly decline paid ads and partnerships on my IG account. I also keep the forum 100% ad-free, despite offers. (Forum vendors are not obstructive ads; they are community members).

While I appreciate the offers, I do not want to push paid advertisements. I also don’t want influencer partnerships for my own truck. I believe this makes the quality of my IG and forum above average. I HATE going to a website covered in ads. Or seeing paid influencer bullshit all over IG (NOT talking about having a personal relationship with the owners/employees of a brand you support, which is different).

This is a genuine question: Are my views on this appreciated by IG followers and forum members? Or am I an idiot that should be using my traffic for my own gain, because I “deserve” it (—not a sarcastic question). Let me know.
Tyler, I prefer the clean ad-free site, but like others have said if you need it to keep the site running, go for it.

Top Bottom