REFERENCE Ask a “beginner” question, get a serious answer

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Biohazard

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Nathan
T3G Member
#6,304
Winch. Insurance in case you get stuck while exploring by yourself. No other mod I have done (on previous vehicles too) has allowed me to explore more places, all because I'm willing to take the risk of getting stuck because I can (almost) always get out.

I used cbi's hidden winch mount and smittybilt's 10k h2o winch. Will set you back about $850 and an afternoon installing.
B43C6E69-1AA9-4814-8669-6FD171F0B756.jpeg

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Hello,

I have a 2018 TRD Sport and have wondered what a few good first mods would be for my truck to get into off-roading. Also if anyone knows of any spots to go in the North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota area?
Welcome to T3G!!

First thing I would do is hit the dirt!! You'll quickly figure out what you actually need and what you don't. Some things that are always a good idea before spending money on crazy and unnecessary upgrades are safety items. A radio to call for help (I like the Baofeng UV5-R), a shovel, traction boards, a snatch strap (rated), and a hitch receiver shackle mount with a D-ring. It's a good idea to have 2 of the hitch shackle mounts, and 2 D-rings so you can hook up another truck. Basically you're anticipating that they wont have a way to connect to a snatch strap, so you bring the connections. Also the front mounting hook and loop on the Tacoma are not rated for recovery so DO NOT attach a strap to them. They can break off and kill someone.

H3llRid3r

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Member
Hello,

I have a 2018 TRD Sport and have wondered what a few good first mods would be for my truck to get into off-roading. Also if anyone knows of any spots to go in the North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota area?
Oh man! I’d go balls deep.

First mod would be Nitro REM polished 529 gears. Then the fun would start.
  • CMC (cab mount chop). Eventually, you will need this, so start with it.
  • At least 33” tires
  • Suspension (I’d go King, but that’s just me). This includes UCA’s (I went with TOTAL CHAOS, but that’s a personal choice
  • ARCHIVE Hammer Hangers with cross bar. This is a must
  • At least Deaver U402 II’s leaf pack
  • And since you started with gears and went with the Sport model, I’d put a locker in the rear. If you’re feeling extra spicy, then add one up front.
  • Probably should move some armor up on the list. But as a bare minimum I’d go with sliders
I’m likely forgetting something, but this should cover the basics.

Oh, and some recovery gear is good to, but it is a Tacoma, so you know;)

Enjoy the build process.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Oh man! I’d go balls deep.

First mod would be Nitro REM polished 529 gears. Then the fun would start.
  • CMC (cab mount chop). Eventually, you will need this, so start with it.
  • At least 33” tires
  • Suspension (I’d go King, but that’s just me). This includes UCA’s (I went with TOTAL CHAOS, but that’s a personal choice
  • ARCHIVE Hammer Hangers with cross bar. This is a must
  • At least Deaver U402 II’s leaf pack
  • And since you started with gears and went with the Sport model, I’d put a locker in the rear. If you’re feeling extra spicy, then add one up front.
  • Probably should move some armor up on the list. But as a bare minimum I’d go with sliders
I’m likely forgetting something, but this should cover the basics.

Oh, and some recovery gear is good to, but it is a Tacoma, so you know;)

Enjoy the build process.
Don't forget to add Magnuson's new Supercharger since he's going big right off the bat. 😈🤪

Top Bottom