• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance Any EFFECTIVE ways to prevent RODENT damage or infestation on the Tacoma

bpoifvet

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
Still in the process of getting my engine wire harness replaced because of them damn rodents.

$6,000 dollars in parts and labor total, but thankfully it will be covered with Comprehensive Insurance claim has anyone been through this?

Has anyone found an effective way to prevent or deter varmints from having another dinner feast on essential wires and components?

I looked online for some solutions, but I want to reach out to all Tacoma owners in this forum with proven effective methods used. I've seen specific types of "capsaicin" laced electrical tape, sprays, traps etc.
Unfortunately I do not have a garage and it's parked outside in the elements and winter is around the corner, so cheap and effective solutions that are simple and easy to apply.

THanks everyone, and stay safe out there in Pandemia!

One thing I will tell you.... do not use poison bait. Those little bastards will eat it and then die inside the truck somewhere. I had an old Ecplorer as a backup vehicle and did that. They took the bait and stored it in the headliner then started dying. Truck was a wreck. Try using stuff infused with peppermint oil. I've been using this stuff in my tractors and has done well. I'll take a picture of the pack when I get home.

Upvote 0
Know the feeling.
I have lost 1 set of spark plug wires to a rabbit a few years ago and
just this winter a wiring harness on a 05 Honda CRV to a rabbit
My business is located in an industrial district with mechanic shops and body shops.
Any time a vehicle is parked for more than a couple days the odds of rabbit settling in
increases greatly. If the vehicle moves on a daily basis no problems.
The body shop and mechanic are constantly fighting this problem and a conversation
I had this year with 1 of the mechanics he said they have yet to find a deterance for the
rabbits.

Upvote 0
A buddy of mine has a active device it runs off his battery doesn't take much voltage it sends out some kind of signal that keeps them out of his engine compartment. He has had the wires eatin out about three of his vehicles.
Loraffe pest deterrent on Amazon
He said he said no mice or rats including his shop with this device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
On the farm we see folks using GlueTrap. Works well on mice but it's a deterrent for some larger critters. Sticks to their feel and for the most part they don't come back. My wifes RAV had all the wiring destroyed on the top of the engine. I had left the lid off a 5 gallon container of wheat. The mice promptly took it out of the can and put it all under the hood engine plastic cover. It was also deposited into all the front a/c ducts. Dealership charged $350 to get out as much as possible. Still get some out when going thru the Carwash.
Porcupines are really adapt at eating cables on the tractors when left in the fields. The Glue Trap does pretty well. You should have seen what they did to the wires on a PRIUS.
mike

Upvote 0
My buddy who lives out in the country and has a lot of classic cars (rarely driven) uses dryer sheets. They seem to work for him.

Upvote 0
My buddy who lives out in the country and has a lot of classic cars (rarely driven) uses dryer sheets. They seem to work for him.
Sounds like the Irish Spring soap trick. I've heard the same thing with dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap.

Upvote 0
Find something to prop the hood open a few inches. They are trying to find a place to shelter. If the hood is open it isn’t good shelter anymore. I have an old bronco sitting in the backyard. For a while the squirrels were getting in there. I raised the hood 6 inches and no more problem.

Upvote 0
Herrs a picture of the package for the stuff I've been using in the tractors and now the roof top tent while it's off. Sorry I totally forgot to post it.

I also us a wall receptacle plug in the emits a high frequency ping every few seconds in the garage that seems to help.

20210117_101140.jpg

Upvote 0
I store a car and a garden tractor for winter and use peppermint oil or cayenne pepper or moth balls anything that has a very potent smell

Upvote 0
Both my Tacoma and my wife's Highlander both were eaten up by mice. My truck was fine but they chewed the wires in her motor and chewed holes into wiper and brake fluid reservoir. She had about 3k in damages. I heard that newer Toyota's are using soy based wiring system that attracts mice. Not sure if it's true but two of our friends who also have newer Toyota's have all had the same issue in the past few weeks as it's gotten colder out.

Upvote 0
I heard that newer Toyota's are using soy based wiring system that attracts mice.
Very true

Here is how the first lawsuit went:

Upvote 0
Both my Tacoma and my wife's Highlander both were eaten up by mice. My truck was fine but they chewed the wires in her motor and chewed holes into wiper and brake fluid reservoir. She had about 3k in damages. I heard that newer Toyota's are using soy based wiring system that attracts mice. Not sure if it's true but two of our friends who also have newer Toyota's have all had the same issue in the past few weeks as it's gotten colder out.
At dealership right having $800 worth of rodent damage repaired on my 2021 Taco.

Upvote 0
I heard that newer Toyota's are using soy based wiring system that attracts mice. Not sure if it's true but two of our friends who also have newer Toyota's have all had the same issue in the past few weeks as it's gotten colder out.
It's true, a lot of car makers are doing it. Had a new Sonata at work that cost $1200 to fix.

Tits

Upvote 0
Took my 2019 Tacoma into the dealer not knowing why it wouldn't run. Dealer said wiring harness was eaten by varmints. They charged $8900 to fix it! Lucky for me Insurance covered all but $500.
Not the end of the story though.
After the wiring harness was replaced the mechanic left for the night to finish up the next morning. The harness was again devoured and it has to be replaced again. They are working with AAA to get the second repair done as I type this up. Hopefully I won't have to pay a second deductible. It's been there 10 days now.
Unbelievable.
I'm setting up traps and poison tonight.
Also purchased a fully automatic BB gun.

Upvote 0
It's my understanding that ultrasonic devices, dryer sheets, and bars of soap are little more than placebo. If I were defending against rodents and lagomorphs, I'd go straight for either trapping or predation: get something that eats or kills them on the spot. Those DIY bucket traps are what I'd try first for rats and mice.

Upvote 0
Those DIY bucket traps are what I'd try first for rats and mice.

I've found the bucket traps to be totally useless. Since Covid my whole town has been flooded with rats. I think it has something to do with the restaurants being closed (as gross as that is) and with them now open the problem seems to be receding a bit. Anyway, I've killed a fuckton of them since then.

Here is how you kill rats. Traditional wood and wire snap traps. Hot glue a chunk of dry dog food on the trigger (BEFORE SETTING IT!!!) and leave it next to a wall where you know the rats are. Wait a few hours to a few days, huzzah, you have killed a rat. I've been told Peanut Butter is effective but for the rats where I live, they have no interest in the stuff. If dog food doesn't work for you you can try that though. Best bet is to buy several traps (you should do that anyway) and mix up your bait. See what's more effective! Make a spreadsheet!

Upvote 0
I've found the bucket traps to be totally useless. Since Covid my whole town has been flooded with rats. I think it has something to do with the restaurants being closed (as gross as that is) and with them now open the problem seems to be receding a bit. Anyway, I've killed a fuckton of them since then.

Here is how you kill rats. Traditional wood and wire snap traps. Hot glue a chunk of dry dog food on the trigger (BEFORE SETTING IT!!!) and leave it next to a wall where you know the rats are. Wait a few hours to a few days, huzzah, you have killed a rat. I've been told Peanut Butter is effective but for the rats where I live, they have no interest in the stuff. If dog food doesn't work for you you can try that though. Best bet is to buy several traps (you should do that anyway) and mix up your bait. See what's more effective! Make a spreadsheet!
Yeah, you're probably right. Tried and true works well. My guess is the lack of food waste from businesses drove them to disperse.

A $0 comprehensive deductible on your auto policy might also come in handy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used dryer sheets & moth balls when I stored a car in the garage. Unfortunately not much help for cars parked outside.

Upvote 0
^^^^and?

i store my boat and summer car in an unattached garage. i've been fighting mice and chipmunks for years. i keep 4 snap traps in there at all times and use them to somewhat check the effectiveness of the deterrents i've tried. i haven't found anything that seems to stop them 100% so i just use everything. i have an ultrasonic unit under my car. i put dryer sheets and peppermint tubes in the car and boat and spread moth balls around the floor. with just the traps i was catching average 6-8 mice a week. with everything else that's in there now i have caught 6 all winter.

Upvote 0
I feel a pest control service would only be beneficial if it was stored inside. With the truck being outside there would be too many variables that could render it ineffective.

Elements could speed up the how fast the pesticide settles.
Depending on how far you are from other people, it could be their habits that attract the rodents.

I guess one could glob peanut butter all over a sticky mouse trap. One of the large ones. Then velcro it on the top side of the skid plate. Lol. That makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
fbyCLH4.jpg

Couldn't resist. Best daned mouser I ever had. Cleaned up after himself usually leaving only a bit of the tail.

Upvote 0
the one cat we had would leave one little organ every time. don't know what it was, looked like a kidney bean. he never ate that though

Upvote 0
the one cat we had would leave one little organ every time. don't know what it was, looked like a kidney bean. he never ate that though

That's the gizzard.

In Korean, the literal translation of it is "shit house". You now have your fact of the day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back