• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

And like that...Pandora is gone

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I got my update today removing Pandora, Facebook and that reservations system thing. I never used them so I'm not really feeling a loss but those were selling points for the truck and now they are no longer part of it. I find that irritating. Not nearly as irritating as a voice control system that seems to be getting worse over time and now can't seem to understand anything I say. Why does Toyota continue to resist just putting Android Auto on these things? More to the point, now that Carplay is available on some of the new systems why aren't they releasing it on the old ones? I know this comes up over and over again but why is Toyota being so asinine about the whole thing. I would have been better off with no entertainment system so I could have used the money to buy a far more functional aftermarket system. At this point I'm debating if I should do that or wait for Toyota to make a move. Is there even an aftermarket system that will really work as a replacement for all the integrated systems?

I used pandora all the time and was super bummed to lose it. I am looking at getting a mirroring interface for the screen just so I can control my phone and use all the apps that I want.

Upvote 0
The pulled Pandora, Opentable (did anyone ever use that?) and Facebook. As I understand it, neither was Toyota's fault as it was due to actions of the app maker. Still, Toyota replaced it with a big fat nothing. All I want is Android Auto so I can tell Entune to take a flying leap. The navigation and voice controls seem to get worse as time goes on and they were really bad to begin with.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-stopping-pandora-opentable-app-support/

Upvote 0
The 2019 Avalons got it I believe, hopefully we can be upgraded.

Upvote 0
They have apple play compatible adapters that will mirror your apps on the stock head unit, but at the price they want its almost better to just get an apple play compatible head unit. Kind of annoying how the Entune system is lacking

Upvote 0
Posted elsewhere but, 2018 Sienna shares head unit with our Tacomas. 2019 Sienna has new head unit with Entune 3.0 & Apple Car Play and supposedly in future Android Auto, anybody willing to be the guinea pig to get one and put it in their truck.

But really, Toyota should be offering us something after removing Pandora, kinda sucks how limited we are.

Upvote 0
Posted elsewhere but, 2018 Sienna shares head unit with our Tacomas. 2019 Sienna has new head unit with Entune 3.0 & Apple Car Play and supposedly in future Android Auto, anybody willing to be the guinea pig to get one and put it in their truck.

But really, Toyota should be offering us something after removing Pandora, kinda sucks how limited we are.
I would consider trying it but I imagine getting one is expensive because who would be selling it besides Toyota?

Upvote 0
I stopped trying to connect my iphone to the entune system within the first week. So annoying that you have to sign into the app each time you start the car just to connect to use your phone for directions. As much as the apple car play system is awesome, I've started to like and enjoy the premium stock head unit for what it is. I use my iphone mounted to the dash for GPS and use the map in the stock head unit as supplemental guidance if needed. It works fine over bluetooth for phone calls, voice dialing, and streaming music with apps like spotify and pandora.

Would be an awesome thing of Toyota to do if they released a major update for Apple carplay on the Tacomas, but the hardware might not be able to support it and it also may be another factor to get people to buy the new taco when it comes out.

Upvote 0
Back