• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

AAL or Full Pack?

BrotacoTRD

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
Seen guys ditch the idea of AAL and some not really using their entire leaf pack...is it looks? Lift benefits? sag due to RTT and Bedrack? Thoughts...?

Seen guys ditch the idea of AAL and some not really using their entire leaf pack...is it looks? Lift benefits? sag due to RTT and Bedrack? Thoughts...?
If you plan on a RTT or having any semi-permenant gear back there, full pack. Even if you don’t, why not have it if the day ever comes that you gotta haul or tow something extra heavy? It honestly doesn’t make the ride rough even with heavy duty springs.

That’s just how I feel about it. AAL works if you want to save a little money and mostly care about gaining more height for looks/bigger tires.

Screenshot_20180611-193501.jpg

I pull this sucker often plus a couple of gear for track days, i cared less with stock setup before but with bigger tires and lower spring rate with the kings. it may affect the rear alot more without the beafy leaf kit. I will definitely will look into the full pack option after you mentioned hauling/towing... didn't even cross my mind and that is not considering RTT and rack. Gotta do some math with weight and height to get the best bang for my buck and what is more beneficial in the long run. Thanks man

Consider how much weight an RTT and bed rack really add, you’re looking at around 300lbs +/- 100 or so for gear. For 70$ give or take you can do an AAL and get around an added 800lb capacity per side. AAL’s are a great option and I’ll never put them down as there’s really no negative considered needs...
That being said a full leaf pack can give you a much larger capacity for towing/static weight, as well as dialing in what type of ride you’d like whether softer or stiffer depending on what your aim is. This option is also much more expensive, so if you have a constant necessity to tow large hauls or have a large static weight on a daily basis whether it be a lot of gear or hauling rock then a leaf pack replacement is for you in which I’d go OME.

Compare needs with wants and think it out. As I said both are viable options can provide increased capacity for weight towed and stored.

Consider how much weight an RTT and bed rack really add, you’re looking at around 300lbs +/- 100 or so for gear. For 70$ give or take you can do an AAL and get around an added 800lb capacity per side. AAL’s are a great option and I’ll never put them down as there’s really no negative considered needs...
That being said a full leaf pack can give you a much larger capacity for towing/static weight, as well as dialing in what type of ride you’d like whether softer or stiffer depending on what your aim is. This option is also much more expensive, so if you have a constant necessity to tow large hauls or have a large static weight on a daily basis whether it be a lot of gear or hauling rock then a leaf pack replacement is for you in which I’d go OME.

Compare needs with wants and think it out. As I said both are viable options can provide increased capacity for weight towed and stored.

Gotcha brother. I was looking at the ONE and Icons recommended from a friend. Is there really a manufacture difference? Or is like Chevy and ford

Gotcha brother. I was looking at the ONE and Icons recommended from a friend. Is there really a manufacture difference? Or is like Chevy and ford

Manufacture can change ride quality. It’s like kings and billstein lifts, ones a softer ride Offroad, the other you can’t dial in as much, one will be softer one will be stiffer, look at reviews for all and read what the manufacturer says. Sometimes there’s no difference and sometimes it’s a large one

the need for a full leaf pack is necessary. aal are band aids and will sag over time still. buy once. cry once. I cry a lot. man.

That goes with any pack though, your packs will settle and sag regardless, however much less with a full pack

@PROTACO17 i need to get hd dakars since i have a topper, 5th wheel carrier, and xtra tools in the bed.. peace of mind with the HD pack..

I still cry when I dump parts on my builds so I completely know where you coming from. Like said earlier do it right based on requirements. Cry less later lol

Back