• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

6” lifts thread

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
This thread is an info thread on 6” lifts. No bashing please purpose is to provide those who absolutely want this to make the most informative decision possible. Parts lists, experiences, etc all apply.

So most of us run 2-3” lifts which is absolutely plenty to clear tires and do serious off roading. However, I have a friend who just purchased a 2018 dclb taco OR 4x4 and is 100% stuck on 6” lift for a pavement princess. So to help him get the best lift possible with least amount of issues lets get some good quality info going under this thread.

I have no idea on these lifts so Ill let someone else get started. This thread is not to bash 6” lifts over 3” liftd please only chime in if you have advice and/or experiences that helps.

So far we have:

1) CMC, fender trimming, pinch weld as all possible requirements for 35’s even with 6”.

2) BDS is a good lift option.

3) serious offroaders should look into 3< “ lift

Last edited:
So most of us run 2-3” lifts which is absolutely plenty to clear tires and do serious off roading. However, I have a friend who just purchased a 2018 dclb taco OR and is 100% stuck on 6” lift. So to help him get the best lift possible with least amount of issues lets get some good quality info going under this thread.

I have no idea on these lifts so Ill let someone else get started. This thread is not to bash 6” lifts please only chime in if you have advice and/or experiences that helps.

What are his intentions as far as activity and necessity for this lift? This can help narrow down a suitable option.

He is listening to 4 wheel parts telling him they can get him it out door for 1800$ no issues at all. I have warned him but he is stuck on it. Says he wants to get as high as possible as thats what he always imagined and minimal offroading. I am all for doing what he imagines so I want to help him get best kit possible so he minimizes issues. He wants 35’s too but doesnt beleave they fit on 3” lift. I already know that 6” and 35’s = regear but he is gonna have to learn that the hard way.

He is listening to 4 wheel parts telling him they can get him it out door for 1800$ no issues at all. I have warned him but he is stuck on it. Says he wants to get as high as possible as thats what he always imagined and minimal offroading. I am all for doing what he imagines so I want to help him get best kit possible so he minimizes issues. He wants 35’s too but doesnt beleave they fit on 3” lift. I already know that 6” and 35’s = regear but he is gonna have to learn that the hard way.
1800 sounds way to cheap for a true 6”, they’d probably give him a 2-3” with a 3” spacer and blocks in the back...

1800 sounds way to cheap for a true 6”, they’d probably give him a 2-3” with a 3” spacer and blocks in the back...

Well I know with a non 4x4 you have spindles and spacers to make up difference to 6” but with 4x4 have no idea how they do it without messingvup front joints. He might just have to find out the hard way.

Just because it’s a 6” lift doesn’t mean you’re getting an extra 6” of ground clearance. A lot of people don’t get that part

If it's going to be a pavement princess then no harm, no foul. Let him do what he wants.

If he's going to wheel it, drop bracket lifts, blocks, and spacers are all bad. I'm not bashing anyone or anything, they just are. Everyone knows it, some refuse to accept it.

If he's dead set on it and refuses to take experienced advice and/or fully research his options, I say just let him deal with it on his own. I'm not trying to be harsh, but sometimes people get their minds set on things and put the blinders on when they're advised that it's a bad idea.

If it's going to be a pavement princess then no harm, no foul. Let him do what he wants.

If he's going to wheel it, drop bracket lifts, blocks, and spacers are all bad. I'm not bashing anyone or anything, they just are. Everyone knows it, some refuse to accept it.

If he's dead set on it and refuses to take experienced advice and/or fully research his options, I say just let him deal with it on his own. I'm not trying to be harsh, but sometimes people get their minds set on things and put the blinders on when they're advised that it's a bad idea.
Exactly. He’s dead set on it. So I figured Id atleast try to get info for him cause 4wheel isnt even tellig him what the lift is. And we didnt have a 6” thread lol

I wheel with my 6” lift on 35’s. I have the 6” BDS coilover lift. But I go everywhere and even more than the 3” lift dudes here go. A lot of them even tell me they wish they went 6”. Clearance with the front is about the same as a 3” lift, but I get more clearance everywhere else.
96F88B81-521C-45C1-A3E3-70BBC747DB8D.jpeg

Exactly. He’s dead set on it. So I figured Id atleast try to get info for him cause 4wheel isnt even tellig him what the lift is. And we didnt have a 6” thread lol
Quick search indicates that BDS, Pro Comp, Maxtrac, Skyjacker, Rough Country, CST, Zone Offroad, Bulletproof Suspension and 18 million other janky ass off-brand companies are making 6" lifts for 16+ Tacomas - in other words, who frickin knows kind of POS the tards at 4WP are quoting him.

Also. If he wants to go off road he will still need a cmc and minor trimming, and hammering of the pinch weld. I still needed to do all that to get rid of the rubbing.

I wheel with my 6” lift on 35’s. I have the 6” BDS coilover lift. But I go everywhere and even more than the 3” lift dudes here go. A lot of them even tell me they wish they went 6”. Clearance with the front is about the same as a 3” lift, but I get more clearance everywhere else.
I think this is a really good example of a 6” done right.

If he is trying to have the 6” lift on 20” wheels style truck, he is obviously entitled to do that, but maybe you can get him in here so we can advise against it? I know you say he’s dead set, but even if he hears it from experienced owners and a practicality standpoint?

Anyway, we didn’t have a 6” thread, so now we do. Despite how most of us may feel about a 6” lift, please keep the bashing out of this thread. Those that want to do it still deserve the knowledge.

Can you break down your parts list?

I think this is a really good example of a 6” done right.

If he is trying to have the 6” lift on 20” wheels style truck, he is obviously entitled to do that, but maybe you can get him in here so we can advise against it? I know you say he’s dead set, but even if he hears it from experienced owners and a practicality standpoint?

Anyway, we didn’t have a 6” thread, so now we do. Despite how most of us may feel about a 6” lift, please keep the bashing out of this thread. Those that want to do it still deserve the knowledge.
I hope I didn't come across as bashing.

Those of us who ran away from the other site primarily came here to spread good, helpful, sound, real-world proven advice, not to barf misinformation or hate on anyone. It's a well known fact that drop bracket lifts, spacers and blocks are not a good performance option for a multitude of reasons, and anyone who says otherwise is either simply misinformed or trolling. I/we can back that up all day every day, but (understandably) someone who is already invested in that type of setup will defend it to the bitter end. That's not an attack on anyone, just human nature.

I think keeping the lines open to civil conversations about pros and cons of everything is necessary from keeping this site from turning into TwatcomaWorld. As long as it's based on facts, reason, logic and all that.

I hope I didn't come across as bashing.

Those of us who ran away from the other site primarily came here to spread good, helpful, sound, real-world proven advice, not to barf misinformation or hate on anyone. It's a well known fact that drop bracket lifts, spacers and blocks are not a good performance option for a multitude of reasons, and anyone who says otherwise is either simply misinformed or trolling. I/we can back that up all day every day, but (understandably) someone who is already invested in that type of setup will defend it to the bitter end. That's not an attack on anyone, just human nature.

I think keeping the lines open to civil conversations about pros and cons of everything is necessary from keeping this site from turning into TwatcomaWorld. As long as it's based on facts, reason, logic and all that.
Not at all was my post pointed at you or anyone in this thread. It was just to make sure we can keep the valuable info here without the clutter of bashing.

On this particular subject, the valuable info is what you’re saying: the 6” lift is not ideal for most applications. And the backup for that statement is in here. Opposing facts are good facts as long as they aren’t biased.

So no, don’t worry about that. I sure as fuck ain’t like any of the mods you’re used to. Nor are @Jay and @PROTACO17. I just like good organization and concise information.

Quick search indicates that BDS, Pro Comp, Maxtrac, Skyjacker, Rough Country, CST, Zone Offroad, Bulletproof Suspension and 18 million other janky ass off-brand companies are making 6" lifts for 16+ Tacomas - in other words, who frickin knows kind of POS the tards at 4WP are quoting him.

Exactly. Hence real world experience and parts list in this thread vs janky ass google search of any ol’ company.

Not at all was my post pointed at you or anyone in this thread. It was just to make sure we can keep the valuable info here without the clutter of bashing.

On this particular subject, the valuable info is what you’re saying: the 6” lift is not ideal for most applications. And the backup for that statement is in here. Opposing facts are good facts as long as they aren’t biased.

So no, don’t worry about that. I sure as fuck ain’t like any of the mods you’re used to. Nor are @Jay and @PROTACO17. I just like good organization and concise information.

I also think there is ways to do a 6” lift to minimize issues. We already have one member running with no issues. So for those lets gets parts lists out there so people can make informed decisions rather than a google search or installer selling them any ol lift they sell

I also think there is ways to do a 6” lift to minimize issues. We already have one member running with no issues. So for those lets gets parts lists out there so people can make informed decisions rather than a google search or installer selling them any ol lift they sell
That is right. @Kurupt_Hawaiian, teach us your ways.

Also. If he wants to go off road he will still need a cmc and minor trimming, and hammering of the pinch weld. I still needed to do all that to get rid of the rubbing.

Good to know thanks! So cmc, punch weld, fender trimmer still all required for 35’s off road. Ill update original post.

At 1800 bucks, 4wp is likely quoting him for the basic Pro Comp 6" drop bracket lift, consisting of rear blocks, front strut spacers and miscellaneous drops brackets and such. So, the kit will essentially be all show and now go, which based off of your description of his specific use case, should be fine for him. So long as he has the expectation ahead of time that he's not getting some top shelf ultra high performance kit. I think the BDS with the Fox DSC upgrade runs in the high 3 to 4k ballpark, but I could be wrong.

As to the debate regarding 6" inch being better than a 3" inch off-road or having more ground clearance, well, that's not a rabbit hole I necessarily want to go down however I will say this. That drop bracket up front is more of a hinderance than anything, it's like a boat anchor looking to hang you up on any rock in it's path. That said, in any performance off-road vehicle there is a common thread; Stuff the largest size tire, with the most amount of travel and the lowest center of gravity possible into whatever it is you are building. We can dive into the physics of all of this but having a higher center of gravity is pretty self explanatory as to why it's not the best choice off-road.

We could go on to argue that a well thought out 3-4 inch kit with 34's could in every way out perform a 6" drop bracket lifted tacoma on 35's, but I am certain that it is a debate that most don't want to have.

What are his intentions as far as activity and necessity for this lift? This can help narrow down a suitable option.

He wants it “sky high and not really taking it offroad”

Can you break down your parts list?
Very simple. 6” BDS coilovers w/dsc suspension lift. 18x9-12et black rhino wheels with 35x12.5 Firestone Destination mt2’s.
The bds lift does come with rear blocks though, which I do plan on upgrading leaf springs to get rid of the blocks. Other than that BDS is awesome.
468423F7-A9BF-41F4-A245-DB6630838D0E.jpeg

At 1800 bucks, 4wp is likely quoting him for the basic Pro Comp 6" drop bracket lift, consisting of rear blocks, front strut spacers and miscellaneous drops brackets and such. So, the kit will essentially be all show and now go, which based off of your description of his specific use case, should be fine for him. So long as he has the expectation ahead of time that he's not getting some top shelf ultra high performance kit. I think the BDS with the Fox DSC upgrade runs in the high 3 to 4k ballpark, but I could be wrong.

As to the debate regarding 6" inch being better than a 3" inch off-road or having more ground clearance, well, that's not a rabbit hole I necessarily want to go down however I will say this. That drop bracket up front is more of a hinderance than anything, it's like a boat anchor looking to hang you up on any rock in it's path. That said, in any performance off-road vehicle there is a common thread; Stuff the largest size tire, with the most amount of travel and the lowest center of gravity possible into whatever it is you are building. We can dive into the physics of all of this but having a higher center of gravity is pretty self explanatory as to why it's not the best choice off-road.

We could go on to argue that a well thought out 3-4 inch kit with 34's could in every way out perform a 6" drop bracket lifted tacoma on 35's, but I am certain that it is a debate that most don't want to have.

I never did bust out a measuring tape but we looked at my front diff next to a friends front diff with a 3” lift and they were about the same height. But I’m not saying 6” lift is better for off-road use. For the off-roading that I do, it does it’s job with no issues. I don’t go out and do any hardcore rock climbing, but I do get her dirty and flex her out.
See flexing here ?

764C6695-478A-4F30-9EFF-9FFB25B315F8.jpeg

I never did bust out a measuring tape but we looked at my front diff next to a friends front diff with a 3” lift and they were about the same height.
Tires are what really affect ground clearance, not lifts. But I agree, from what I have seen, trucks with 6" lifts on 35s have about the same amount of clearance under the front diff as a 3" lift on 33s.
But I’m not saying 6” lift is better for off-road use. For the off-roading that I do, it does it’s job with no issues.
This is the real key and props to you on this... all that really matters in the end is that it works for you, and you like it. You are not disillusioned into thinking it's the end-all, be-all setup, trying to sway others into it. You provided your help and opinions, without conjecture or bias. This kind of open-mindedness and honesty is what us TW refugees really want to see promoted here on T3G.

We run BDS on any of our 6"+ lifted applications. There are by far the best option we have seen. We run one on the Tundra as it is a show truck and we dont really care. It includes very well done components and also utilizes Fox uppers, proper coil-overs and doesnt add any spacer bull crap.

Tires are what really affect ground clearance, not lifts. But I agree, from what I have seen, trucks with 6" lifts on 35s have about the same amount of clearance under the front diff as a 3" lift on 33s.

This is the real key and props to you on this... all that really matters in the end is that it works for you, and you like it. You are not disillusioned into thinking it's the end-all, be-all setup, trying to sway others into it. You provided your help and opinions, without conjecture or bias. This kind of open-mindedness and honesty is what us TW refugees really want to see promoted here on T3G.

I totally agree and it’s not for everyone. I almost went with an icon stage 4 lift but my wife really likes the look of a 6” lift and swayed me to go bigger lol. So I looked around and found that BDS was a really nice kit for 6” lift that looked like was decent for off-road use too.

I totally agree and it’s not for everyone. I almost went with an icon stage 4 lift but my wife really likes the look of a 6” lift and swayed me to go bigger lol. So I looked around and found that BDS was a really nice kit for 6” lift that looked like was decent for off-road use too.
If someone had to have a 6" inch kit BDS is the only one I would recommend. Being owned by Fox helps fund them to do proper RnD which is key.

Nevertheless, use case is the best litmus test for what's going to be the best option for the end user. For me, 6inch kit would be a death sentence for what I like to do. For others, it's the only way to go. Just gotta have the proper expectations aligned to whatever it is you are buying and how it will ultimately be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back