• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference 3rd Gen DIY Maintenance and Quick Reference.

Mr. Nobody

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Information pulled from TacomaWorld.com and originally authored by renau001. He created and compiled this information. It's too good not to have here so I reached out to him on TW and he gave me the okay to share this information for the benefit of other 3rd Gen owners.

TacomaWorld is a great resource and I hope you will find value in it as we look to continually build the depth of information stored on T3G. I hope as a 3rd Gen owner you will utilize it to learn everything you can about these trucks and share that information with fellow 3rd Gen owners here on T3G and elsewhere.

Wanted to start a DIY quick reference to include things like torque specs, part #'s, specialty tools and quick tips for the standard maintenance items. The intent just to have a quick place to go for people (mainly myself) that may already be familiar with job and don't want to wade through longer step-by-step instructions again to extract details. I will edit the original post as more information is obtained or submitted by others. Will also try to add links to other threads with more complete instructions/pictures/videos when myself or others post. Obviously, I cannot take any responsibility for any problems that arise from using this information or any accidental typos. If there's anything folks are interested in, let me know. Welcome any feedback on how to make it more helpful or if you see a step-by-step thread that could be linked from here, let me know. Also, if you see any errors, let me know and I'll correct.

If you get any dealer services done, and have part #'s on your receipts, please share!

CAUTION: All info in italics is not confirmed. A lot of educated guesses based on previous models and other Toyotas. Please help me correct any typos. As you guys confirm, I'll un-italicize. Thanks!

Also, this post was originally done for V6 autos, I have added some info for other models. Doesn't mean much of it wont apply to all vehicles. But obviously if you have a different engine or manual transmission there will be significant differences in certain areas. Anybody is free to copy and revise for another model if you feel froggy or feed me the info and I'll try to add it.

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels - every fill-up

Engine oil (0W-20 ILSAC GF-5 oil - Toyota part # 00279-0WQTE-01)
1) Check w/ engine warm greater than 5 minutes after shutting off engine
2) Tip: leave dipstick out while waiting 5 minutes to allow oil in dipstick to drain back down, makes it easier to read
3) Per manual, it’s 1.6 qts from low mark to full mark, don’t overfill

Coolant (Toyota SLLC - Toyota part # 00272-SLLC2, 50/50 pre-diluted, Canada is 55/45)
1) Between LOW and FULL lines with engine cold

Brake fluid (FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3 or SAE J1703)
1) Between MIN and MAX (should be near or at max with fresh pads)

Power steering fluid (Automatic transmission fluid DEXRON® II or III)
1) Between min and max (cold and hot lines provided)
2) Cold - not driven in last 5 hours (50-85 degF fluid temp)
3) Hot - driven 50 mph for 20 mins (140-175 degF fluid temp)

Clutch fluid (FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3 or SAE J1703)

Rotate tires - every 5k or 6 mo

Front to back/back to front on each side
Lug nut torque - 83 lb-ft (21mm)
Check torque ~1000 miles after rotating

Replace engine oil and filter - every 10k or 12 mo (severe: 5k or 6 mo)

Torque specs:
Oil pan drain plug - 30 lb-ft (14mm)
Oil filter cap - 216 lb-in/18 lb-ft (TOY640 with 15/16" or 24mm socket)
Oil filter drain plug - 120 lb-in/10 lb-ft (3/8" square drive)
No. 1 engine under cover sub-assembly - 22 lb-ft (12mm)
No. 2 engine under cover sub-assembly (off-roads) - 22 lb-ft (12mm)

Parts:
Oil - 6.1-6.2 qts 0W-20 ILSAC GF-5 oil - Toyota part # 00279-0WQTE-01
Oil pan drain plug gasket - Toyota part # 90430-12031
Oil filter element kit - Toyota part # 04152-YZZA1

Special tools:

$14 Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus
AST TOY640 filter wrench
(or Toyota SST 09228-06501)
5/8” ID tubing (for oil filter drain pipe)

Tips:
1) Requires removing skid(s) for access.
2) Oil filter has permanent housing, oil filter element kit includes new filter cartridge, 2 new gaskets, and the temporary oil filter drain pipe.
3) Hose for oil filter drain pipe (if used) should be 5/8” ID (15 mm). About $1 at Lowe’s in the plumbing section for clear vinyl tubing. Can help with splashing.
4) Proper torque of the oil filter cap and oil filter drain plug should help prevent the cap coming off before the drain plug on the next change, which can be a lot cleaner.
5) When you remove the filter drain plug, give it a little impact. If you're too smooth, the plug and housing will try and move together.
6) https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oil-change-checklist-service-record.462476/ by @RichVT

Lubricate propeller shaft - every 15k or 18 mo (severe: 5k or 6 mo)

Parts:
Spider grease -

$10 Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2

Special tools:

$36 Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun with Whip Hose and Rigid Pipe

Grease gun w/ pistol grip and flexible hose for zerk fittings

Tips:
1) Spiders should be greased until fresh grease purges from all 4 seals. Should purge somewhat evenly, or there may be a problem
2) I would not attempt to lube center support bearing. I suspect it is sealed and is meant never to be self-serviced.
3) Only 4wd's have zerks, won't find any on a 2wd.

Re-torque propeller shaft bolts - every 15k or 18 mo (severe: 5k or 6 mo)

Torque specs:
U-joint bolts - 65 lb-ft (14mm/17mm)
Center support bearing - 27 lb-ft (be careful, if it was loose, may need realignment)

Tips:
1) You will need 14mm and 17mm box ends or flarenuts for the u-joint flanges, sockets won't fit
2) The flanges at the transfer case have a 17mm bolt head with a 14mm nut
3) Flanges at the diffs have a 14mm bolt with 14mm nut
4) Recommend a box-end or flarenut crowfoot on your torque wrench, but don't forget to lower your torque setting due to the longer torque arm. Here's a calculator: http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx
5) Will have to remove heat shield at rear of xfer case (12mm)
6) Thanks to @maccus for the detailed info here

Re-torque leaf spring u-bolts - forum recommended

Torque spec:
52 lb-ft (19mm)

Replace cabin air filter - every 20k or 24 mo

Parts:
Filter - Toyota part # 88508-01010

Tips:
If you don't know how, it's in your glovebox owner's manual

Replace engine air filter - every 20k or 24 mo

Parts:
Filter - Toyota part # 17801-0P100

Tips:
1) Easy job, but don't mess it up. Make sure there's no holes/tears in your new filter. Make sure everything's clean before you open up the box and remove filter. And make sure you have a good mating/seal around entire edge of the filter.

Front brakes - every 5k or 6 mo for visual; every 30k or 36 mo for measurements

Torque specs:
Brake caliper mounting bolts - 91 lb-ft (??mm)

Service Specs:
Pad min thickness: 1.0 mm
Rotor min thickness: 26.0 mm
Max rotor runout: 0.05 mm

Parts:
Rotors - Toyota part # 43512-04052
Pads - Toyota part # 04465-04090

Tips:
1) Measure runout 10 mm from outer edge of rotor; rotor should be installed with all 6 lug nuts torqued to 83 lb-ft when checking
2) If runout > max, check bearing play and axle hub runout normal before replacing rotors
3) If rotor stuck on hub, use an M8-1.25 bolt in holes on rotors to break it free
4) Install new rotors in position with least amount of runout

Rear brakes - every 5k or 6 mo for visual; every 30k or 36 mo for measurements

Service specs:
Drum max diameter - 10.08 in
Shoe min thickness - 1.0 mm

Replace differential oil - inspect every 15k or 18 mo (severe: replace every 15k or 18 mo)

Torque specs:
Rear diff drain plug - 36 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")
Rear diff fill plug - 36 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")
Front diff drain plug - 48 lb-ft (10mm hex)
Front diff fill plug - 29 lb-ft (10mm hex)
No. 2 engine under cover assembly - 22 lb-ft (12mm)

Parts:
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent - Toyota part # 08885-02506
Front - 1.6 qts; Rear - 3.1-4.2 qts (varies with model)
Rear drain plug gasket - Toyota part # 12157-10010
Rear fill plug gasket - Toyota part # 12157-10010
Front drain plug gasket - Toyota part # 90430-24003
Front fill plug gasket - Toyota part # 12157-10010

Tips:
1) Perform with vehicle level
2) Ensure you can remove fill plug before draining
3) Proper level should be within 5 mm of bottom of fill plug opening
4) Re-check level after driving
5) Save new fill plug washer until final check
6) Will need to remove skid plate and may need bottle pump for front
7)

$6 GENUINE TOYOTA GASKET KIT FOR TRANSFER AND DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE
Diff and xfer case gasket kit

8) 3rd Gen Differential and Manual Transmission (6MT) Fluid Change by @Omar RVA
9)

by @EB Group
10)

by @EB Group

Replace transfer case oil - inspect every 30k or 36 mo (severe: replace every 30k or 36 mo)

Torque specs:
Drain plug - 27 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")
Fill plug - 27 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")

Parts:
1.1 qts SAE 75W Toyota Genuine Transfer gear oil LF or equivalent - Toyota part # 08885-81080
Drain plug gasket - Toyota part # 90430-A0003
Fill plug gasket - Toyota part # 90430-A0003

Tips:
1) Ensure you can remove fill plug before draining
2) After filling, leave plug out and let sit ~5 minutes and re-check, add if necessary
3) Diff and xfer case gasket kit

Manual transmission oil - inspect every 30k or 36 mo (severe: replace every 30k or 36 mo)

Torque specs:
Drain plug - 27 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")
Fill plug - 27 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")

Parts:
Toyota Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil GL-3 (GL-4) or equivalent, SAE 75W-90
4 cyl - 2.3 qts, 6 cyl - 2.6 qts
Drain plug gasket - Toyota part # ??
Fill plug gasket - Toyota part # ??

Tips:
1) Perform with vehicle level
2) Ensure you can remove fill plug before draining
3) Proper level should be within 5 mm of bottom of fill plug opening
4) 3rd Gen Differential and Manual Transmission (6MT) Fluid Change by @Omar RVA
5)

by @EB Group

Replace automatic transmission fluid - inspect every 30k or 36 mo (severe: replace every 60k or 72 mo)

Torque specs:
Drain plug - 180 lb-in/15 lb-ft (14mm)
Overflow plug - 180 lb-in/15 lb-ft (5mm hex)
Fill plug - 29 lb-ft (24mm or 15/16")

Parts:
Toyota ATF WS fluid - Toyota part # 00289-ATFWS
Drain plug gasket - Toyota part # 35178-30010
Overflow plug gasket - Toyota part # 35178-30010
Fill plug gasket - Toyota part # 90301-15004

Special tools:
Toyota SST 09843-18040 (basically you just need a wire to jumper two OBD ports)
Bottle pump (to use for filling)

Tips:
1) https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...mission.63851/ (for reference)
2) Qty of fluid will depend on what you do. Per the TIS repair manual, it directs 3 drain/refill/circulates for a replacement, so it will probably be somewhere between 10-12 quarts.

Replace engine coolant - inspect every 15k or 18 mo (replace at 100k/120 mo and every 50k/60 mo thereafter)

Torque specs:
???

Parts:
9.1-11.1 qts Toyota SLLC - Toyota part # 00272-SLLC2 (50/50 pre-diluted, Canada is 55/45). Qty depends on model, see manual.

Tips:
1) Be careful here, there's a special sequence to fill the system and remove all the voids without damaging or overheating anything

I remember reading something about either the dif or the t case don’t have a magnetic drain plug but you can swap in another magnetic plug from or if the others that do have one. Anyone confirm?

Upvote 0
I remember reading something about either the dif or the t case don’t have a magnetic drain plug but you can swap in another magnetic plug from or if the others that do have one. Anyone confirm?
This gen tacoma deosnt have magnetic diff or t case plugs , older toyotas do

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This gen tacoma deosnt have magnetic diff or t case plugs , older toyotas do
I meant more as does anyone know if there are magnetic plugs we can put in the places that didn’t come with them. I have bad luck with Toyota parts guys. I asked how much an OEM CV driveshaft would be as a spare and he showed me the steering rack.

Upvote 0
I meant more as does anyone know if there are magnetic plugs we can put in the places that didn’t come with them. I have bad luck with Toyota parts guys. I asked how much an OEM CV driveshaft would be as a spare and he showed me the steering rack.

https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/toyotalexus.php
That's aftermarket ones
If you want OEM search TW I think you order ones off a bunch of different models

Upvote 0
Ahh ok thank you it was confusing when I read it I was like so which one is then lol.
When things should be serviced according to "Toyota specs" should be in the service interval manual , but of course like anything depending on usage and abuse may require shorter intervals between service
Since your asking g diff then I'll go with that
Toyota intervals are measured off "standard usage " thus anything beyond that is not calculated into the equation , yes they built it for offroad fun , but there not going to test how long the oil last in full offroad usage with everything under stress and doing water crossings , they will test it in a standard commute environment possible with some towing or load as it's a truck but that's about it. So best to check is every now and then to determine if you need to do it earlier .

Upvote 0
Thanks ? just wanted to make sure I don’t go off roading muchi mainly drive it to work and home and maybe a few trips out of town but that’s it off road not so much and when I do I only use it to park at a camp site if I need 4x4 to get in there that’s about it I have 23,220 what do you recommend for that ?

Upvote 0
Thanks ? just wanted to make sure I don’t go off roading muchi mainly drive it to work and home and maybe a few trips out of town but that’s it off road not so much and when I do I only use it to park at a camp site if I need 4x4 to get in there that’s about it I have 23,220 what do you recommend for that ?
Technically they should check and top off every time your there for service , I dont know how they run in the states but when you there ask them , 23,220 you should be near a service interval

Upvote 0
This is the stuff I use on the propeller shaft "spiders".
Higher temp than the Mobile and is a true NLGI #2 not a blend.
1661978714452.png

The Toyota Tech I talked to said......
"How many zerk fittings you have depends on the trim level of the truck".
He mentioned the higher trim level the more "sealed" u-joints are installed (no zerks on sealed U's)

Upvote 0
Is there a write up on how to change the coolant on the Gen 3?
I am going to do mine at 50,000 (not pushing the envelope).

Stock Toyota coolant is great stuff, and I will be using it again.
But it is not "lifetime" it is long lasting, 75,000 to 100,000 (or 5 yrs).

This problem is when it gets acidic it eats gaskets and seals.
The water pump is usually the first victim then the head gasket(s).

Your investment and your choice if you're a "keeper" of the vehicle.
Non-maintenance owners usually will trade sell or run away so to each his or her own. (Another reason to NEVER buy used)

Simple FYI

Upvote 0
So are all the drain, fill, and over flow plugs for transmission and diff torqued in ft or in lbs???

Upvote 0
Back