• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3-4in vs 6in lifts

TanSuperMan

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
What’s up 3rd Gen Taco Fam! Hope everybody’s having a blessed day! I know everyone had their own personal opinions and facts behind them but wanted to open the floor to discussion on 3-4in lifts vs 6inch lifts.

IMO, I think 3-4in is more practical and for utility and off road use, while 6 is more for show and bigger tires, #mallcrawler, plus increased problems and costs involved.

The topic of drop bracket vs. suspension lifts vs. spacers was covered pretty thoroughly here:

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/6”-lifts-thread.786/

tl;dr spacers, blocks, and drop brackets are to be considered for cosmetic enhancements only. Better performance on- and off-road is achieved with a quality </= 3" suspension lift and tires. Generally speaking, a Taco on 33s with a 2.5" coilovers/struts and supporting mods will run circles around a 6" lifted Taco on 35s on the trail.

IMO, I think 3-4in is more practical and for utility and off road use, while 6 is more for show and bigger tires, #mallcrawler, plus increased problems and costs involved.

This is a weird mall... :p

IMG_0367.jpg

Yeah few do 6”+ and off-road and most wont do it right at that lol but doesn’t a 6” not even give more clearance with the drop bracket etc, just high body and bigger tires

Yeah few do 6”+ and off-road and most wont do it right at that lol but doesn’t a 6” not even give more clearance with the drop bracket etc, just high body and bigger tires
Correct, lift =\= clearance

The 6" kit on the truck above (BDS with Fox coilovers) with 35" tires has about 1-2" clearance over stock under the front diff (~4.5" drop bracket), and 2-3" more clearance under everywhere else over a 2-3" lifted mid travel kit on 35s. So it depends on where you measure the clearance honestly.

There are certainly advantages/disadvantages to both styles of kits. With the drop bracket kit rock crawling we obviously have to be more careful with rocks under the front suspension and less careful everywhere else. With the mid travel kits you have to be more cautious about cv and steering angles. With some of the less extensive taco kits, you are trading down travel for lift as they aren't designed to droop anymore than stock.

The 6" kit on the truck above (BDS with Fox coilovers) with 35" tires has about 1-2" clearance over stock under the front diff (~4.5" drop bracket), and 2-3" more clearance under everywhere else over a 2-3" lifted mid travel kit on 35s. So it depends on where you measure the clearance honestly.

There are certainly advantages/disadvantages to both styles of kits. With the drop bracket kit rock crawling we obviously have to be more careful with rocks under the front suspension and less careful everywhere else. With the mid travel kits you have to be more cautious about cv and steering angles. With some of the less extensive taco kits, you are trading down travel for lift as they aren't designed to droop anymore than stock.

TRD Sport?

I do almost no rock crawling hahaha mostly riding on sand at the beaches, once in a while a semi rough dirt road but at low speeds and nothing that will test the suspension. What is the cost to regear my truck if I did go to 7” on 35s?

Another view can be considered as bolt-on vs permanent modification. Your 3" coilover/UCA set up is going to be 100% bolt on and the truck can be returned back to stock. You will get more ride quality than a 4-6" basic lift kit. If you are 2wd, you can also do a 4" spindle with coilovers for a superb ride quality.

The 4-6" drop bracket kits are pretty much a permanent change. You will be cutting out factory crossmembers to install the drop brackets. The ride is going to be more rigid/stiff. Upgraded 6" lift shocks in my opinion are pretty much a must if you plan on off-roading. But it will be preference.

The 4-6" drop bracket kits are pretty much a permanent change. You will be cutting out factory crossmembers to install the drop brackets. The ride is going to be more rigid/stiff. Upgraded 6" lift shocks in my opinion are pretty much a must if you plan on off-roading. But it will be preference.

Just welded the piece of cross member I cut out two years ago to go from a BDS drop bracket kit to a pre-production BDS mid travel kit ;)

Did you have to do a cmc on a 6" lift to clear 35s? I really dont want to but if i have to cut my cross member than whats a cmc while im at it? Yes i do play hard and no its not going to the mall.

Did you have to do a cmc on a 6" lift to clear 35s? I really dont want to but if i have to cut my cross member than whats a cmc while im at it? Yes i do play hard and no its not going to the mall.

Feel inferior. I only have a 2/1" Lift.:oops:

Tits

Back