• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2023 Rough Idle

Sr5fenz

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here, I have a new 2023 sr5 v6 tacoma. I’ve noticed since buying my truck the idle(especially in gear) is really rough. The tachometer never moves up or down though. The cab has a constant shake like your sitting in a massage chair. 2 dealers ran diagnostics without coming up with anything. Next step is for a FTS to come take a look at it in couple weeks. I’ll say that the idle has never gotten worse or better in the 3200 miles I’ve driven the truck. The longer it stays running the rougher the idle gets. Temperature over 45 degrees also seems to make it rougher. Any thoughts? No check engine light either!

My thought is make Toyota make it right you shouldn’t lose money cause they don’t want to fix it. You can take it back to the dealer and leave it and refuse to pick it up until they fix it. I could speculate forever what it could be but the bottom line is a Toyota technician should be able to figure this out.
Absolutely agree. I already contacted a lemon law lawyer to get an idea what my rights are in this situation if Toyota refuses to fix it. I’m over it. Totally ridiculous a 40k truck runs like a old truck with 500k miles thats 30 years old

Upvote 0
My other issue is even getting Toyota to recognize there is a problem with my truck. They all keep saying it’s normal. Get in another 3rd gen and completely different expierence

Upvote 0
Wouldn’t a bad spark plug or coil throw and engine light? I’m thinking more along the lines of a motor mount. At 1500 rpm in gear I get a nasty vibration in the floor board. Vibrates to some extent at any rpm but 1500 is the worst. When coming to a stop in gear you can physically see the seat and steering wheel slightly shaking and feel strong vibrations coming through the cab with it slightly shaking. Tachometer doesn’t reflect the vibration. It stays steady at 550-600 rpm
If it is that noticeable and your dealer says nothing is wrong go to a different dealer.
No vehicle should do that if running correctly.
If this dealer refusal continues you have two productive options, hire an auto attorney or trade it in.

Upvote 0
Back