• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2018 tacoma transmission normal or abnormal

T3gen

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hi.. I am a new register member. Just wonder if this is normal to any 3rd gen tacoma that have same symptom like my 2018 double cab.
Going down hill, with very steep hill 55 to 60 degree, without gas paddle pushing. When you are about 1/3 or 1/2 way of the hill from the top, truck's speed would be about 60 (+/_ 10) mph. If you tap ( just tap and release) brake paddle once then...2nd times or so ( my case is with couple cars in front) to reduce your speed. Still no gas acellerate at this time, truck's gear will shift down ( to 2nd / or 3rd gear.. my guess) and keep holding on the lower gear like that. Engine rpm is very high at this time and sounds like the gear will be out of the tran. Because your feet not touching anything still , so... the speed will increase rapidly.
The only 1 way to make the gear shifting up is....carefully tap / or accelerate your gad paddle.
Brought the truck in for maintenance schedule and talked to a rep about that. He said ... the tran is control by electronic device. And they checked the electronic controller. They said there is no prob.
I tried that again....and symptom is still the same. Is this normal / or abnormal to you all ?

Mine does the same thing. Speed doesn’t seem to be a factor. Seems like normal downshifting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi.. I am a new register member. Just wonder if this is normal to any 3rd gen tacoma that have same symptom like my 2018 double cab.
Going down hill, with very steep hill 55 to 60 degree, without gas paddle pushing. When you are about 1/3 or 1/2 way of the hill from the top, truck's speed would be about 60 (+/_ 10) mph. If you tap ( just tap and release) brake paddle once then...2nd times or so ( my case is with couple cars in front) to reduce your speed. Still no gas acellerate at this time, truck's gear will shift down ( to 2nd / or 3rd gear.. my guess) and keep holding on the lower gear like that. Engine rpm is very high at this time and sounds like the gear will be out of the tran. Because your feet not touching anything still , so... the speed will increase rapidly.
The only 1 way to make the gear shifting up is....carefully tap / or accelerate your gad paddle.
Brought the truck in for maintenance schedule and talked to a rep about that. He said ... the tran is control by electronic device. And they checked the electronic controller. They said there is no prob.
I tried that again....and symptom is still the same. Is this normal / or abnormal to you all ?
I'm not sure if I fully understand, but, is it the engine brake? It would cause higher RPM and engine noise.

Upvote 0
Back