• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2018 sport lift questions

Dawg

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
want to do a 2.5 - 3” lift. Looks only. Won’t be doing any off road at all. What’s my best option? Everything I read says stay away from spacers and blocks. Correct? Thanks

want to do a 2.5 - 3” lift. Looks only. Won’t be doing any off road at all. What’s my best option? Everything I read says stay away from spacers and blocks. Correct? Thanks
100 percent correct lol, but from what I’ve gotten from many people over the months if you seriously are never going to touch dirt you’ll be fine but then again overtime those spacers will stress out a lot of your suspension parts so in the end you’ll end up spending more (don’t no anyone that’s happen to yet) but it’s just what I’ve heard from many, of you don’t want to spend big money u can do the same lift I did it’s a great, reliable, known, suspension bilstien 5100 for the front and bilstien 5160 for the rear or if you want to go even cheaper just go bilstien 5100 all the way around there adjustable shocks so u can do any of the sizes you’d like I have mine set for 2.5 inch lift and I’m super stoked with it hope that helps if you have questions let me know

Yeah the Bistein 5100 are the way to go in my opinion. I've had them for about 8 months, and they have been extremely reliable on and off road. Even if there is a small chance you will go offroad in the future, I would go this route if I were you.

100 percent correct lol, but from what I’ve gotten from many people over the months if you seriously are never going to touch dirt you’ll be fine but then again overtime those spacers will stress out a lot of your suspension parts so in the end you’ll end up spending more (don’t no anyone that’s happen to yet) but it’s just what I’ve heard from many, of you don’t want to spend big money u can do the same lift I did it’s a great, reliable, known, suspension bilstien 5100 for the front and bilstien 5160 for the rear or if you want to go even cheaper just go bilstien 5100 all the way around there adjustable shocks so u can do any of the sizes you’d like I have mine set for 2.5 inch lift and I’m super stoked with it hope that helps if you have questions let me know

Thanks Jesse.

Thanks Jesse. Did U do a AAL also What size lift is that, what should I expect to pay to do the 5100 and 5160. I would assume I will have to upgrade the wheels from stock, I had plan on doing the tires

Yeah the Bistein 5100 are the way to go in my opinion. I've had them for about 8 months, and they have been extremely reliable on and off road. Even if there is a small chance you will go offroad in the future, I would go this route if I were you.
Thanks Jesse. Did U do a AAL also What size lift is that, what should I expect to pay to do the 5100 and 5160. I would assume I will have to upgrade the wheels from stock, I had plan on doing the tires
i didn’t do aal so my rear is a little lower than the front but u can’t really tell i just didn’t do it the money factor, in not running a rtt(roof top tent) or do I ever load my bed truck with any kind of heavy weight, and it’s a 2.5 inch up front with stock springs if u get upgraded springs and uca’s (upper control arms) u can do the full 3inch lift but that will cost a lot more $, 5100 is roughly $100-150 a shock depending where u buy them the rear 5160 shocks are roughly $150-200 also depends where u buy then amazon I’ve seen them have them a bit cheaper (just take note the front shocks are the same so u can order qty:2 but the two rear shocks are different so different part number) then after just depends if u install yourself will be free or if u take it in to get installed depends what they charge you and also anytime when you mess with suspension make sure you get an alignment as well ?, you don’t have to do tires and wheels but it defenitly will look a lot nicer if you do so you won’t have such a big wheel gap lol ? any other questions my friend

U have been a big help thanks. Just got my 2018 about a month ago. Will have a shop install the 5100. Just have to find the right one with price. Wanna get the knobby tires for sure. Will try to keep the rims so my cost for everything won’t be crazy, then down the road get rims. What’s the largest size tire I can go on the stock rims?

U have been a big help thanks. Just got my 2018 about a month ago. Will have a shop install the 5100. Just have to find the right one with price. Wanna get the knobby tires for sure. Will try to keep the rims so my cost for everything won’t be crazy, then down the road get rims. What’s the largest size tire I can go on the stock rims?
I feel you man these trucks get expensive quick lol, your welcome if you have more questions let me know,
i hear a lot of people do 265’s on the stock 16 inch wheels ? with no rubbing

Any issues with the front sensor after doing the lift. I see u did the new grill which at some point I want! Lol

Any issues with the front sensor after doing the lift. I see u did the new grill which at some point I want! Lol
Lol if you want not forcing you but on my channel I have step by step install videos for new tacoma owners like myself you can check them out there youtube.com/jesserizo
But since I’ve done the aftermarket trd grill I think only once it went out of wack but because I went threw a lot of mud that covered the sensor that was probably why but other than that so far it’s been ok and ima cross my fingers and hope it still works for a while lol

You may not get the full 2.5-3” you want with a simple 5100 setup. But since you said it is totally for looks, you would be just fine with a block/spacer to add some more height if you really want to (ensuring to watch your UCA, CV shaft, and driveshaft angles).

You can fit a 285/75 tire on the stock 16” wheel. It might rub a little but you’d be fine if you aren’t wheeling.

What’s my best option then? To get the 2.5 to 3? Everything I read says stay away from spacers and blocks. Thanks
Spacers and blocks become an issue when doing heavy off-roading. I’ve seen blocks slip out from under people’s rear diffs and spacers cause people’s front coilovers to blow. Depends on your application. If you went 5100’s and it wasn’t the height you were wanting you can put a smaller spacer on there to get the desired height. I ran a 2” spacer on my front coilovers for about s year with heavy off-roading and was completely fine.

what setting did you set the front 5100s to and would you happen to know your hub to fender measurements?

What’s my best option then? To get the 2.5 to 3? Everything I read says stay away from spacers and blocks. Thanks
I had the 5100s on OME 887 coils set to the second to highest notch. I was never satisfied with the height it got me, but I did also gain some extra height in the rear because I used heavy duty leaf springs. So I wanted to get the front to match the rear more.

If you want to be sure you can get 2.5-3”, consider going with an adjustable coil. I switched to Icons and have been able to easily adjust the height in the front to my desire. You could always add a spacer to your 5100 setup which would be cheaper and not necessarily “bad” because the spacer would be realitevly thin.

On my 2018 getting a 2.5 to 3 in lift will it screw up the safety sensors that are on it

So just curious, I’m looking to do the same thing but I didn’t want to have to change my UCA. For those running the 5100 set up did you have to change your UCA? Or a diff spacer or anything else?

So just curious, I’m looking to do the same thing but I didn’t want to have to change my UCA. For those running the 5100 set up did you have to change your UCA? Or a diff spacer or anything else?
You don’t HAVE to. It is recommended for a few different reasons, but ultimately you could run the stock ones for this lift. Many people do it. What kind of wheeling do you think you’d be getting into though?

I more so like the aggressive tire look. I can’t stand the all off-season type car tire on a truc
Thinking of going Falken wildpeak. Your thoughts and what are the reasons to do it thanks

You don’t HAVE to. It is recommended for a few different reasons, but ultimately you could run the stock ones for this lift. Many people do it. What kind of wheeling do you think you’d be getting into though?
I honestly would not be doing anything extreme. Mainly just rough roads and mountains. Just love to level it and put a more of an aggressive tire on.

I honestly would not be doing anything extreme. Mainly just rough roads and mountains. Just love to level it and put a more of an aggressive tire on.
I think stock UCAs are right for you then.

I'm thinking of doing a similar setup to BamBam at some point in the future. I'm not going to be doing much off-roading, maybe some light trails or something occasionally. My truck serves as my daily driver and bike hauler so I just want a more aggressive looking setup that can handle some off road but still drive well on the street. Plus if I lifted it more than about 2.5in it would no longer fit in my garage and I prefer to keep it in there. What suspension setup would you guys recommend?

Back